: SRX Sales Continue to Improve - not so with CTS & STS

c5 rv
04-04-07, 08:55 AM
From a Lansing State Journal article about Acadia / Crossover sales:

"Of the longer-established Lansing-made vehicles, the Cadillac SRX crossover was the only one to show a sales gain over last year. Its sales grew 5.3 percent in March to 2,189 units.

The SRX is made at the Lansing Grand River plant, along with the Cadillac CTS and STS. CTS sales fell 9.4 percent to 4,881 units, while STS sales tumbled 29.9 percent to 1,555 cars."

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070404/NEWS03/704040336/1004/news03

billjesnen
04-04-07, 10:15 PM
Given that the CTS new body style will come out relatively soon, I think if I was in the market for a CTS I would wait until the new one showed up. I am glad that a few more SRXs will be on the street. Four model years into the SRX, and people still act like my car is something that just came on the market.

What Cadillac needs to do is have an ad that shows its performance against its peer group, e.g. the SRX blowing the doors off a Volvo SUV or wagon, preferably the one with the annoying non stop talking little girl that daddy has put in the backseat of the swede mobile with the unique caddy music blasting in the background (and we owned some volvos).

c5 rv
04-05-07, 07:17 AM
What Cadillac needs to do is have an ad that shows its performance against its peer group, e.g. the SRX blowing the doors off a Volvo SUV or wagon, preferably the one with the annoying non stop talking little girl that daddy has put in the backseat of the swede mobile with the unique caddy music blasting in the background (and we owned some volvos).

Amen!

Northern SRX
04-05-07, 05:40 PM
Good news for the SRX!

SRX sales in March

2004 2,849
2005 2,735
2006 2,078
2007 2,189

SRX sales Q1 (Jan-Mar)

2004 6,639
2005 5,999
2006 5,091
2007 5,621

One would have to attribute the bump up in sales for 2007 to the new interior. I would imagine that its static exterior, though, would keep it from rivalling its first year numbers.

The CTS numbers don't surprise me - for the reason billjesnen gives. What does surprise me is how often GM kills the sales at the end of a car's cycle by prematurely unveiling its (often) superior replacement.

The STS numbers don't surprise me either - while the car is competent, it just hasn't sufficiently distinguished itself from the CTS to garner huge numbers. In fact, I wonder how many STS wannabes end up with the CTS and how many STS buyers were people who would have bought the CTS if the STS never existed.

jrose7004
04-05-07, 11:20 PM
Seem like the General always floods the market with product that competes with themselves!

The Tony Show
04-06-07, 09:17 AM
Spend some time in both, and you'll find that the STS is light years ahead of the CTS in every aspect except handling. FAR better interior materials, plus exclusive features like park assist, push button start, remote start, 4 way power lumbar, rear air, rear heated seats, intellibeam, HUD, TPMs,......the list goes on.

I am a little concerned about product overlap when talking about the '08 CTS, as it is taking a huge leap forward in the luxury department. For right now though, the STS is twice the car of the CTS- just not enough people take the time to learn the differences.

Northern SRX
04-06-07, 10:26 AM
Spend some time in both, and you'll find that the STS is light years ahead of the CTS in every aspect except handling. FAR better interior materials, plus exclusive features like park assist, push button start, remote start, 4 way power lumbar, rear air, rear heated seats, intellibeam, HUD, TPMs,......the list goes on.

I am a little concerned about product overlap when talking about the '08 CTS, as it is taking a huge leap forward in the luxury department. For right now though, the STS is twice the car of the CTS- just not enough people take the time to learn the differences.

I agree on the features and interiors but the cars themselves (styling, chassis, dynamics, powerplants) are just not that much different. Plus, as soon as the STS came out, we knew it was just a matter of time before a restyled CTS would have a more refined interior. Frankly, it took a little longer than I thought.

Back to the SRX sales, though. While a slight bump up from '06 and encouraging, these are hardly barnstorming numbers. Me wonders if the SRX is much of a profit maker for the General.

b4z
04-06-07, 12:45 PM
Actually you guys may not believe this but the dealer principle/gm of my Caddy dealer showed me the sales book for our region, which includes Charlotte, NC down to beaufort, SC and sales are up.....................
over 30% for the year!

j123456k
04-10-07, 10:27 PM
I live in the Phoenix area and the dealership I bought my 2007 SRX in January is saying the 2007 sales on the SRX is way up compared to the 2006. I think this is due to two reasons, the much improved interior and the fact that the word is getting out (albeit slowly) how great this vehicle truely is. I have bought luxury vehicles all my life and no vehicle I have ever owned has such a complete package as the SRX. Everything about it is superior to its competition. My brother owns a Lexus and this Caddy is by far better in everyway.

I don't know why Cadillac continues to ignore the SRX relative to its marketing campaigns. You see commercials for the Escalade and CTS, but that is about it. They have a gold mine with the SRX if they were to market it correctly.

Jeff

tonygxp
04-10-07, 10:31 PM
I live in the Phoenix area and the dealership I bought my 2007 SRX in January is saying the 2007 sales on the SRX is way up compared to the 2006. I think this is due to two reasons, the much improved interior and the fact that the word is getting out (albeit slowly) how great this vehicle truely is. I have bought luxury vehicles all my life and no vehicle I have ever owned has such a complete package as the SRX. Everything about it is superior to its competition. My brother owns a Lexus and this Caddy is by far better in everyway.

I don't know why Cadillac continues to ignore the SRX relative to its marketing campaigns. You see commercials for the Escalade and CTS, but that is about it. They have a gold mine with the SRX if they were to market it correctly.

Jeff

that's what i wonder myself?? people at my job know it's a Caddy, but have no clue as to what "kind" it is.. and the dam thing has been out for how long:bigroll: ???

miked
04-11-07, 12:29 AM
What dealer in the Phoenix area do you go to? We just moved down here, and I've tried Kachina. They had no SRX's in stock there . . . .

mjk
04-12-07, 01:15 PM
that's what i wonder myself?? people at my job know it's a Caddy, but have no clue as to what "kind" it is.. and the dam thing has been out for how long:bigroll: ???

EXACTLY, When I got mine last year some people at work asked me the same thing..."Is it an Escalade?"
And I said ...'yeah, a BABY Escalade....:bouncy:

Playdrv4me
04-12-07, 01:47 PM
The SRX for '07 has literally been transformed from what it used to be. It is one of THE best buys on the road as far as a crossover is concerned.

Unfortunately that isnt gonna be enough to save it. With the redesigned CTS coming soon, and the upcoming CTS Wagon and BRX small crossover, the SRX is slated to be discontinued after 2009. Theres just not enough room in the lineup for it. As it stands right now, the SRX will need to make a miraculous comeback for it to be kept around.

Tony was talking about his concerns about the CTS moving so far upscale and competing with the STS. Well, sorry to say he's right, and theres a reason the CTS is moving that direction. The DTS will be redesigned in '09/'10 and will become a true luxury flagship once again (slotted below the as yet un-named super lux cruiser), and the CTS is moving up.

Therefore, the writing is also on the wall for the popular, but still slow selling STS.

ejguillot
04-12-07, 02:15 PM
And the thing is, even after being on the market for a few years, the SRX placed 2nd of 8 in the Car and Driver comparison in the May 2007 issue.

The SRX was only edged by the Acura MDX, and beat the new BMW X5, Mercedes ML350, Lexus GX470, VW Touraeg, Volvo XC90, and the Land Rover LR3.

Value played a large part - for the same price tag, the SRX was packing a V8 while the X5, ML350, and Touraeg were stuck with 6 cylinders.

Playdrv4me
04-12-07, 04:54 PM
And the thing is, even after being on the market for a few years, the SRX placed 2nd of 8 in the Car and Driver comparison in the May 2007 issue.

The SRX was only edged by the Acura MDX, and beat the new BMW X5, Mercedes ML350, Lexus GX470, VW Touraeg, Volvo XC90, and the Land Rover LR3.

Value played a large part - for the same price tag, the SRX was packing a V8 while the X5, ML350, and Touraeg were stuck with 6 cylinders.

And thats not to say the V6 is bad either! Edmunds has a V6 with Nav in their fleet right now that is just about one of their FAVORITE cross-overs. The pile of crap MB R500 they are also testing is UGLY, LACKS POWER and unreliable by comparison.