: Hotchkis sway bar install on 07' Escalade

hcvone
04-03-07, 04:59 PM
Installed my Hotchkis sway bars today, the front no problem, 10 minute job, the rear, well that is another story, the two supports supplied are about 3/16" thicker than the inside truck bracket, and they tell you in the instructions to get a "monkey wrench" and bend the bracket out to fit the new supports, well to do this you are unbolting the shocks to get room to work, I suspect that these are a stock part with Hotchkis, instead on making the proper size support, lucky I know someone with an internal expanding tool, of course that was an hour and a half round trip to get it. That being said the new sway bars are very nice, the 07' handled pretty good from the start, well my truck handles great now, of course from this design problem I spent 4 hours longer than I should of. Just another note, installed the Volant today as well, and that did not fit great either, it pushes up against the coolant reservoir, so I have to move that about a half an inch, so now that is against the battery, but that is ok.

jrs05caddyext
04-03-07, 05:10 PM
pics?

DLE
04-03-07, 05:43 PM
How the heck are you gonna tell us all this and not post pics?!? :p

j/k. :bouncy: Sounds like a pain in the butt job, but at least it worked out towards the end. :thumbsup:

Now post some pics! :thumbsup:

hcvone
04-03-07, 06:14 PM
I did take pixs, well some, but you can't really see anything.

http://www.tbyrne.com/trucks/hotchkis2291.jpg

Best I can do. ;)

zx6racer
04-03-07, 08:17 PM
I had the same problem with my volant. All I did was loosing the screws on the overflow and slide it over a bit.

hcvone
04-04-07, 07:49 AM
I had the same problem with my volant. All I did was loosing the screws on the overflow and slide it over a bit.

I did that and opened up the mounting holes on the Volant, easy with the large washers they supply. :)

hcvone
04-04-07, 08:11 AM
Update, I must say the sway bars make the truck handle better than it should. :)

tbyrne
04-05-07, 09:52 AM
Hi Carl, if you don't mind I'd like to forward your post to Hotchkis.

Thanks,
Tom

hcvone
04-05-07, 12:12 PM
No problem Tom, I am writting them a letter as well. :)

teutonictrio
11-20-07, 06:51 PM
Wow, I'm planning to install mine (finally) but don't have an internal expanding tool, and don't exactly want to use a monkey wrench to bend a bracket. Has anyone else done it and come up with a better solution??

Dif
11-20-07, 10:09 PM
Just to save some aggravation I'd say the easiest way is take time to get an internal exspansion tool.
With that said,.. the monkey wrench or any other wrench method of bending the bracket does not really work.
It doesn't bend the bracket far enough up in the full length of the bracket to let the support fit in all the way.
If you're a pack rat like me and have a piece of 1/2" dia threaded rod, 2 big thick washers and nuts you can expand the brackets by putting the nuts and washers inside the bracket on the threaded rod and turn the nuts with wrenches outward to expand the brackets.
To echo Carls initial post.
Front bar was a piece of cake to install but the rear bar, though not terrible to install, takes a bit more time and patience. :suspect:
Aside from having to expand the brackets, the amount of working space on the exhaust/passenger side is very cramped and makes it hard to get any tools in conveniently to remove and replace the support arm in the U bracket.
As I mentioned, I used a threaded rod with washers and nuts to expand the U brackets.
Still not as easy as an expansion tool would have been.... I'm sure..., but it did the trick.
Not hard on the driver side but again,...with cramped quarters on the exhaust side it took some time and patience.
Well worth the effort though. :yup:

teutonictrio
11-20-07, 11:56 PM
Where does one even get an internal expansion tool? I can't find one on any tool sites...

JWSchmidt3
11-21-07, 12:10 AM
the new sway bars are very nice, the 07' handled pretty good from the start, well my truck handles great now

Great feedback, one question . . . did the sway bars impact the normal ride, did it make the truck ride any rougher??

I think I may have to get a set of these, the stock handling has really bugged me, and this sounds like the fix. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Dif
11-21-07, 02:42 AM
Great feedback, one question . . . did the sway bars impact the normal ride, did it make the truck ride any rougher??

I think I may have to get a set of these, the stock handling has really bugged me, and this sounds like the fix. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

The Hotchkis sway bars Firm up the ride.
They don't stiffen it. It's more Firm than stiff.
I emphasize the word Firm in comparison to Stiff.
Around town I notice it's not quite as soft a ride but no where near annoying or rough and once at a reasonable speed it is as smooth as stock but more Firm without any excess roll or sway.
Especially noticeable improvement when turning .. no roll.. and when entering and exiting highway ramps the vehicle does not lean,.. stays flat and level.
Just very much nicer control and pleasant to drive.
Aside from the positive posts ... the one thing that made me get them was when I was on the highway one day before I put them on.
I don't weave around a lot on the highway or changed lanes anymore than I have to but one time cruising 75-80 ,... had to swerve into the next lane.
When I did, there was so much sway and softness, it scared me.
Now with the Hotchkis bars it is so much more controllable.
Just very nice.
Also, way, way better handling with any kind of heavy load.
I'm glad I got them and would not want to go back to the original sway bars.

My thoughts for what it's worth.

hcvone
11-21-07, 08:04 AM
The Hotchkis sway bars Firm up the ride.
They don't stiffen it. It's more Firm than stiff.
I emphasize the word Firm in comparison to Stiff.
Around town I notice it's not quite as soft a ride but no where near annoying or rough and once at a reasonable speed it is as smooth as stock but more Firm without any excess roll or sway.
Especially noticeable improvement when turning .. no roll.. and when entering and exiting highway ramps the vehicle does not lean,.. stays flat and level.
Just very much nicer control and pleasant to drive.
Aside from the positive posts ... the one thing that made me get them was when I was on the highway one day before I put them on.
I don't weave around a lot on the highway or changed lanes anymore than I have to but one time cruising 75-80 ,... had to swerve into the next lane.
When I did, there was so much sway and softness, it scared me.
Now with the Hotchkis bars it is so much more controllable.
Just very nice.
Also, way, way better handling with any kind of heavy load.
I'm glad I got them and would not want to go back to the original sway bars.

My thoughts for what it's worth.

I like your web site. :) The above sums it up, and if you tow the sway bars are a must. :)

teutonictrio
11-21-07, 11:04 AM
So can anyone help me with installation concerns? Where does one get an internal expansion tool? I can't see any online, just patents for them.

Now I'm a bit concerned that it firms up the ride - if the ride is not as soft in town, to me it would seem more like a pickup truck after installation.

Dif
11-21-07, 11:57 AM
I like your web site. :)
Hi Carl, Thanks.. :)

Dif
11-21-07, 12:16 PM
So can anyone help me with installation concerns? Where does one get an internal expansion tool? I can't see any online, just patents for them.

Now I'm a bit concerned that it firms up the ride - if the ride is not as soft in town, to me it would seem more like a pickup truck after installation.
Hi Teutonictrio, I don't know myself where to get the expansion tool but I presume it could be found at an auto store or Tool rental place.
Carl may be able to help you with that one.
As for the ride being like a pickup truck .. it is Not.
It's hard to convey things on the internet some times and that's why I wanted to Stress the ride is ... Firm ...and Not,.. Stiff or Rough.
It is nowhere near remotely like a pickup truck ride. Simply a "bit" Firmer than the stock Cadillac ride.
I can't say you will like it so can only convey my thoughts on how it is with the upgraded Hotchkis Sway Bars.
The upgrade may not be for everyone and it all depends on exactly what you're looking for and how you drive, but in my opinion the very small trade off is a positive one for me.
Well worth it and I think you'll find anyone that has installed the sway bars will agree.
Good Luck whatever you decide.

hcvone
11-21-07, 12:46 PM

You can always go back to stock, but you will not want to, the ride does not get harsh after the sway bar install, it just is firmer, but in a good way. I know someone that did the install, they used a series a sockets to expand the bracket, his was not as bad as mine for some reason, or I was just used to it and knew what to do.

chenry
11-26-07, 07:22 PM
Hotchkis is only about 30 mins away from me-my plan....Im going to have them do the install tomorrow for me...I'll let them deal with making their own product fit correctly

hcvone
11-27-07, 08:34 AM
They do installs? When you are there ask them to make their parts 3/16" narrower and the install would be so much easier.

chenry
11-27-07, 11:08 AM
They do installs? When you are there ask them to make their parts 3/16" narrower and the install would be so much easier.

yup...they're quoting me roughly $150 for the install....money well spent in my mind, ill let you know how it goes

hcvone
11-27-07, 01:07 PM
Yea after doing my first truck, the second one took me about 1/2 an hour.

teutonictrio
11-27-07, 02:51 PM
Yea after doing my first truck, the second one took me about 1/2 an hour.
And you have the internal spreading tool?

hcvone
11-27-07, 03:51 PM
And you have the internal spreading tool?

The shop I use does now. :)

1SICKESV
11-28-07, 12:33 AM
I'm getting this mod done to my truck will let u guys know how it turns out. I'm getting it for the performance aspect being that my truck will have about 700hp give or take a few. So there will be some high speeds and fast turns.

hcvone
11-28-07, 08:21 AM
While the sway bars do help handling, they will not make it handle like a car. ;)

JWSchmidt3
12-13-07, 08:08 PM
Installed my Hotchkis sway bars today, . . . Just another note, installed the Volant today as well,

I'm having both done as well, including the Corsa exhaust and dyno tuning. Hope to have the truck back tomorrow or Saturday.

Though, one question for those with Corsa's; I got a call today from the shop and they stated they would have to either cutoff the old exhaust or drop the axle. :hmm: Does that sound right?? I would assume this would be a bolt-on kit. These guys usually work on Corvette's, so they don't see Escalade's very often (at all), but I would assume it was straight forward. I just had them cut it.

:cheers:

hcvone
12-14-07, 09:07 AM
Cutting off the the easiest way to remove the stock exhaust, I cut it off where it can be sleeved and welded back together for when I trade it in for an 09'

JWSchmidt3
12-14-07, 09:51 AM
Cutting off the the easiest way to remove the stock exhaust, I cut it off where it can be sleeved and welded back together for when I trade it in for an 09'

Interesting. Thanks, I feel better about it now.

:cheers:

JWSchmidt3
12-14-07, 09:26 PM
Bars installed . . . . . . WOW!!! Go get them, if you are on the fence, or anywhere near the fence, get them. Very little driving so far, but these are sweet!!

:2thumbs:

:banana:

:woohoo:

hcvone
12-15-07, 07:17 AM
They do make a difference for sure. :)

thetranz
12-15-07, 10:43 PM
Can someone upload some pictures after installed in the truck?. I'm curious to see how it look. If it looks good, I'll get mine done too.

hcvone
12-16-07, 08:15 AM
Not really much different looking than stock, just larger. :)

EscoZito
01-03-08, 01:23 AM
If they don't bolt right up, I'm not interested.

hcvone
01-03-08, 09:46 AM
They almost bolt right up, the front does for sure, the rear needs a little work

chenry
01-03-08, 12:42 PM

they really do the rear just needs a little work, Hotchkis is a top notch company putting out top notch products....if the only thing standing in your way is the fact that the rear doesn't slide right it....go buy them the up-side you will gain in handling and safety over the lifetime of your ownership experience with your escladade far out weighs the extra couple mins it will take to install the rear

just my 2-cents....getting off my soapbox now

hcvone
01-03-08, 01:19 PM
I agree I have had several sets of Hotchkis sway bars and springs, they were always an improvement, big improvement. :)

JWSchmidt3
01-03-08, 01:21 PM

My shop installed them about 3 weeks ago and didn't mention them going on with any extra difficulty. Maybe they've changed them to fit better, but they acted as they were just a normal install. Absolutely worth it, hands down. :cheers:

roccos_van
01-03-08, 07:10 PM
My shop installed them about 3 weeks ago and didn't mention them going on with any extra difficulty. Maybe they've changed them to fit better, but they acted as they were just a normal install. Absolutely worth it, hands down. :cheers:

Would you mind calling them and asking them then reporting back? I'm just waiting for the swaybars to arrive; and am going to warn my shop about the slight tweak to the rear mounting points so it would be nice if it now has been re-engineered to fit! :quagmire:

blownC6Z
01-06-08, 03:32 PM
Just to save some aggravation I'd say the easiest way is take time to get an internal exspansion tool.

Dif are you talking about an exhaust pipe expansion tool like this?
http://premium1.uploadit.org/blownC5//wmr-w80662_w.jpg

Dif
01-06-08, 07:51 PM
Dif are you talking about an exhaust pipe expansion tool like this?
http://premium1.uploadit.org/blownC5//wmr-w80662_w.jpg

Sorry, I honestly don't know what the actual expansion tool looks like since I didn't use one myself.
I only presume it's somewhat like a small jaws of life tool.
I used a threaded rod with nuts and washers to expand the U bracket.
It worked, but nothing beats having the right tool.
Carl, who's screen name is Hcvone, was the one using the correct tool. :yup:

blownC6Z
01-06-08, 09:07 PM
Carl, who's screen name is Hcvone, was the one using the correct tool. :yup:

Oops, my bad, I should have read more carefully.:o Soooo, is the right tool Hcvone? Thanks

hcvone
01-07-08, 09:44 AM
It looked something like that, I will get whos tool was used when I get to the shop this week. I believe the tool we have is hydraulic

Talented Square
02-20-08, 12:43 AM
so your saying the sway bars are a must.

hcvone
02-20-08, 08:09 AM
They make a huge difference, even bigger difference if you tow

roccos_van
02-20-08, 02:47 PM
so your saying the sway bars are a must.

They really are a fantastic upgrade.

JWSchmidt3
02-20-08, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't really worry about the tool. I ordered a set in November and had them installed. My shop said they went on fine, nothing out of the ordinary for sway bars. FWIW

roccos_van
02-21-08, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't really worry about the tool. I ordered a set in November and had them installed. My shop said they went on fine, nothing out of the ordinary for sway bars. FWIW

Mine were intalled on Monday and the shop had to 'bend' the rear brackets; i warned them about it and it was no problem. I looked under the truck and saw that the brackets had been opened up a bit. It's not a big deal at a speed/mechanic shop as they have the proper tools.

FWIW the swaybars were ordered from Hotchkis in January.

gs430
02-27-08, 11:37 PM
What's the part #? And about how much does this kit cost?

hcvone
02-28-08, 08:53 AM
Check with http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/ for prices

07 GM 1500 SUVSport Sway Bar Set
Control the roll and improve towing control of the Chevrolet, Cadillac and GMC sport utility vehicles with our performance Sway Bar packages. The products dramatically reduce sway and enhance towing safety without sacrificing ride comfort. The GM SUV will also be more stable and controllable when using a roof rack or when the vehicle is loaded due to the increased roll stiffness provided by the sway bar package.

Features:

Lightweight, durable 1.50 tubular steel front sway bar

Lightweight, durable 1.25 tubular steel rear sway bar

25% front and 70% rear stiffer than stock

Rear end-links feature precision TIG welded construction with easy to lubricate polyurethane bushings. Front are upgraded original style end links.

Premium mounting hardware including, upgraded brackets, greasable polyurethane bushings, heavy duty bolts and d washers.

Gloss black powder coat finish.

Benefits:

Improves stability and safety, especially when loaded or during towing

Maintains excellent ride quality

Improve turning response

Applications:
All 2007 GM 1/2 Ton Full Size Suv\\'s 2wd or 4wd
Avalanche 1500, Tahoe, Suburban 1500, Denali, Denali XL, Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV

SKU : 2291

sdizzyday
02-28-08, 06:04 PM
Well I just ordered a set of these:). It will be a couple of months before they are here and I install them - no time and still lots of snow on the ground.
Thanks for all of the advise and comments, it certainly made it easier to decide to get them. I will be hauling a 25' holiday trailer and the Hotchkis should help out on the windy mountain roads.

SCott

claykehrer
03-06-08, 12:26 AM
Just thought you guys may want to know...Eibach has the same diameter sway bars. ( both hollow tubular steel) From the Tire Rack, the are half the price.

hcvone
03-06-08, 08:14 AM
I have always had better luck with Hotchkis parts over Eibach thru the years

Dif
03-06-08, 01:50 PM
Just thought you guys may want to know...Eibach has the same diameter sway bars. ( both hollow tubular steel) From the Tire Rack, the are half the price.
Wow, looks like the price of Hotchkis bars have gone up in the past 12 months.

Bought a set for an 07 EXT a while back through Tbyrne and they were $400.00 :hmm:

hcvone
03-06-08, 02:01 PM
I believe that was the intro price, we did good if that is what they are selling for now. :)