: No GPS

bigdog9586
04-03-07, 04:44 PM
While on a trip my STS nav. started saying no GPS. Yesterday it went on for about 30 miles and came back on but I wondered if being near a RED STONE Arsonal by Huntsville was the cause. Then today outside of Nashville a few times I got the No GPS for a few seconds and then back on. A week ago the dealer installed a new nav. screen as the old one would go dark in the cold. If it was loose wire I would have thought it would lose it all the time since I've put on about 800 miles since replacement. I also wonder if there has been some outages the past 2 days from say sun spots ????? I also wonder if the screen that was replaced is seperate from the actual nav. unit? Anyone else losing their signal the past 2 days?

c5 rv
04-04-07, 08:05 AM
Hmm, the tin-foil-hat crowd would certainly say your suspicions are well-founded. (insert Outer Limits music here)

bigdog9586
04-05-07, 07:52 PM
Update. I drove 528 miles home and was without GPS for at least 50% of the time. Either when they put in the new screen they bent a plug wire or knocked a wire/antenna wire loose or I have another problem. I wonder if the dimness of my screen is also part of the problem. Even with the new screen I have to adjust the brightness/contrast all the way to the right in order to have a bright screen. If I leave both adjustments in the center I can hardly read the screen. Would someone else comment on where thy have their sliders to get a bright screen.

MRR
04-08-07, 08:12 AM
It looks like you might have to make another trip to the Dealer. Good luck.

MRR

bigdog9586
04-10-07, 09:39 PM
Took it in and they couldn't find out why it is showing no GPS so are ordering a whole new nav. unit. Hope that does it.

bigdog9586
04-11-07, 08:10 PM
Got it back this afternoon and so far all is well. I found out what they do is order another nav unit and we get rebuilt ones that someone else had problems with. I orginally had black screen on startup in cold weather. I'm betting I got one from someone else that had theres not show gps and the company that repairs them didn't repair it right. I should have remembered that from the past when I had a bad CD player and thats what happened.
==================

Took it in and they couldn't find out why it is showing no GPS so are ordering a whole new nav. unit. Hope that does it.

ewill3rd
04-11-07, 09:58 PM
Yeah, we can't get "new" units.
They might be new, but we never know. We send them in and they ship us a "refurbished" unit.
Supposedly they have a pretty intense testing procedure but I have seen some real doozies slip past them.

It does sound like they found a bad one for you the first time there.
Glad to hear they fixed it without a fuss.

bigdog9586
04-19-07, 06:01 PM
Just an update. The 3rd one that they put in must have been another doozie as this one comes up with the slash through the GPS. Don't last for 40 minutes or more but I can drive to work almost everyday let it sit in the parking lot, drive it back home without a signal. One day took it to the dealer and got with in about a 1/2 mile and it came on. I still took it in and they have had it all week and claim they can't get it to mess up except for a few moments. They are supposedly working with Cadillac engineers on it but I'm not holding my breath. I even took it to breakfast last weekend with the wife and my digital camera. I brought them a dozen 8 X 10's showing driving accross town. Eating breakfast and part way home before it came on. With the digital clock in the corner and the map right there makes my claim pretty strong. Besides why would I want to pay for a STS and drive a rental car of way less value. Plus the pain in the butt of all the hassle. Of course they do wash it each time they return it. A $3 wash makes it all worth while. This time I filed a complaint with Caddy and also told the service manager, new car sales manager, salesman and anyone elsw who would listen if I get it back and it still don't work properly it's the last Cadillac I ever buy and this is #6 and hopefully I will live long enought for another 4 or more. Since I live in Lansing where they make them I hope to also get in the editorials a letter if it still don't work shaming them in public. Maybe then the factory will fix it.
====================

Yeah, we can't get "new" units.
They might be new, but we never know. We send them in and they ship us a "refurbished" unit.
Supposedly they have a pretty intense testing procedure but I have seen some real doozies slip past them.

It does sound like they found a bad one for you the first time there.
Glad to hear they fixed it without a fuss.

bigdog9586
04-30-07, 09:06 PM
Got it back last week and have now driven it about a couple hundred miles over a few days travels and it seems to be working properly. This time they replaced the antenna which I hope did the trick. So far the slash through the GPS only happens when it should, in my garage, carwash or getting gas at a station with a roof over it.
=========================

Just an update. The 3rd one that they put in must have been another doozie as this one comes up with the slash through the GPS. Don't last for 40 minutes or more but I can drive to work almost everyday let it sit in the parking lot, drive it back home without a signal. One day took it to the dealer and got with in about a 1/2 mile and it came on. I still took it in and they have had it all week and claim they can't get it to mess up except for a few moments. They are supposedly working with Cadillac engineers on it but I'm not holding my breath. I even took it to breakfast last weekend with the wife and my digital camera. I brought them a dozen 8 X 10's showing driving accross town. Eating breakfast and part way home before it came on. With the digital clock in the corner and the map right there makes my claim pretty strong. Besides why would I want to pay for a STS and drive a rental car of way less value. Plus the pain in the butt of all the hassle. Of course they do wash it each time they return it. A $3 wash makes it all worth while. This time I filed a complaint with Caddy and also told the service manager, new car sales manager, salesman and anyone elsw who would listen if I get it back and it still don't work properly it's the last Cadillac I ever buy and this is #6 and hopefully I will live long enought for another 4 or more. Since I live in Lansing where they make them I hope to also get in the editorials a letter if it still don't work shaming them in public. Maybe then the factory will fix it.
====================

dkozloski
04-30-07, 09:50 PM
I've got the opposite problem. I get great GPS signals but the NAV discs have no map data for Alaska. Without map data to pin it to you can't select waypoints, establish a home position, or calibrate. All I see is the little arrow in the middle. The nearest place the map data covers is Beaver Creek, Y.T. just over the border in Canada, about 300 miles away.

z06bigbird
05-04-07, 10:59 PM
Interesting about GM not being able to send a new vs refurb unit. My relatively new ATT Razr phone failed. Rep told me that I would most likely receive a refurb because they had no control over what ATT has in stock. I then politely explained how I saw this working:

A major company like ATT has a hugh box of phones to send back to its customers. No one there knows which of these replacement phones in the box is new or used.

ATT rep agreed with me. He escalated my call, and I received a new Razr. New ones come in original Motorola box complete with all accessories. Trade people call it a 'kit.' Refurb phones do not include book or accessories.

dkozloski
05-05-07, 12:04 AM
Interesting about GM not being able to send a new vs refurb unit. My relatively new ATT Razr phone failed. Rep told me that I would most likely receive a refurb because they had no control over what ATT has in stock. I then politely explained how I saw this working:

A major company like ATT has a hugh box of phones to send back to its customers. No one there knows which of these replacement phones in the box is new or used.

ATT rep agreed with me. He escalated my call, and I received a new Razr. New ones come in original Motorola box complete with all accessories. Trade people call it a 'kit.' Refurb phones do not include book or accessories.
What's a real pisser is when you're a good guy and turn in your non-working item complete in the box and get sombody elses refurbed junker in exchange with no accessories at all. No good deed goes unpunished.