: Uhhh Ohhh...

Jonas McFeely
04-03-07, 01:11 PM
I took my Brougham up to the shop Monday morning to get the diff. checked out.Its been making a weird noise for about a year whenever i get on it or make left turns,and now its so loud and annoying,its barely drivable.

When i was at Pep Boys getting new plugs and wires,they said it may be the diff.,but they didnt do that kind of work.So i took it down to my friends dads shop and the first thing he says after he diagnoses it,is "you might want to think about getting a new car".

Apparently,where the drive shaft meets the transmission,there is alot of play.You can move it around freely.So he said im going to need a new transmission and a new drive shaft.He quoted me at around $1800.My car isnt even worth that.But i will NEVER get rid of it.

He told me he would call around and try to find a used one.

You guys have any advice or anything that may be able to save me some loot?

Motorboat
04-03-07, 02:02 PM
Time for second opinion. Tail shaft on tranny is replacable and so is the front yoke on the driveshaft. I'ed change the diff oil and put some additive for limited slip differentials and see what happens.

Jonas McFeely
04-03-07, 02:41 PM
Thats what i was wondering.The trans shifts fine and doesnt make any noise by itself.It sounded funny that i needed a whole new trans.I'll get a second opinion.

eldorado99
04-03-07, 03:45 PM
U-joints?

Barrister_07101
04-03-07, 05:53 PM
U-joints?

My first thought.

Jonas McFeely
04-03-07, 06:47 PM
Just went up there and talked to them.Its not the U-Joints,they said they were fine.Something happened where there is slack in the drive shaft and it has stripped and rattled some stuff in the transmission loose. They said whenever i take off,it just makes the drive shaft and rear end hop and grind.I dont know anything about transmissions or rear ends.

They told me they would put in a used tranny with a 60 day warranty and new drive shaft for $1050.Im taking it up to another place in the morning to see if there is any price difference.

Thanks for the help.

Abadox
04-03-07, 07:40 PM
Would a broken motor mount cause this?
Giving extra play you know.
Just a thought

The Ape Man
04-03-07, 09:00 PM
Go to another shop and don't tell them anything about what the first said. Try to have them check it while you wait. Maybe you can casually wander under the car and see if the front area of the driveshaft has shiny marks on it from contacting the crossmember. This is a common problem on these cars when the transmission mount starts to fail. If that is the case then the fix is about $150.00 tops. If you shook the guy's hand at the first place then it's time to count your fingers.

Jonas McFeely
04-03-07, 10:28 PM
Would a broken motor mount cause this?
Giving extra play you know.
Just a thought

I dont think so,its been very gradually getting worse over the past year or so.

Jonas McFeely
04-03-07, 10:30 PM
Go to another shop and don't tell them anything about what the first said. Try to have them check it while you wait. Maybe you can casually wander under the car and see if the front area of the driveshaft has shiny marks on it from contacting the crossmember. This is a common problem on these cars when the transmission mount starts to fail. If that is the case then the fix is about $150.00 tops. If you shook the guy's hand at the first place then it's time to count your fingers.

Awesome,thanks for the info,i appreciate it.Im taking it up to another shop first thing in the morning,i'll see if i can get a good look under the car.

Thanks again

Jonas McFeely
04-04-07, 05:25 PM
Went up to a little mom and pop garage called Mahoneys today.Didnt tell them anything about what the other shop said. I wasnt able to get under it,but i have a feeling these guys will be more honest. I'll let yall know what it ends up being.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Cadillac Giovanni
04-04-07, 07:40 PM
I'm no tranny expert, but I really don't think it should cause that much of a problem if the shaft is knocking around a little. Mine is a little loose because of the bushing inside the rear transmission seal (might want to get that checked on yours).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-07, 08:37 PM
Well I'm happy to see that you're gonna fix your classic and not write it off and buy something else. :thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
04-05-07, 11:52 AM
Sons-a-bitches! Bastards!

WOW,thank you guys so much! It REALLY pays to get a second opinion! I just got off the phone with the second shop i took it up to.Trans is fine,drive shaft is fine. Its the damn transmission mounts! The bolts had completely come out and the trans was just flopping around! $115 INSTALLED! You guys just saved me $900! Im so damn happy i could cry.

Thank you so much for suggesting i get a second opinion.I owe you guys one.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-05-07, 02:01 PM
Wow, i never though a mechanic would be that openly crooked. He could perfectly see the problem, yet decided to feed you a line of crap about the inside of your tranny and everything else.

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Jonas McFeely
04-05-07, 02:07 PM
Wow, i never though a mechanic would be that openly crooked. He could perfectly see the problem, yet decided to feed you a line of crap about the inside of your tranny and everything else.

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Whats worse is that it was my friends dads shop(not his dad himself) that told me i needed a new tranny and drive shaft.Either they were dipshits who didnt know what was really wrong,or they are a bunch of thieves.

KaddyKat
04-05-07, 04:39 PM
the crooks probably wanted your car, did they offer to buy it?

Motorboat
04-05-07, 06:10 PM
Your welcome. Just pass to good deed on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-05-07, 08:13 PM
Thank you so much for suggesting i get a second opinion.I owe you guys one.

Payback is more pictures of your Sage Green Brougham. It's been so long since I've seen pics of that car..

Jonas McFeely
04-05-07, 08:43 PM
the crooks probably wanted your car, did they offer to buy it?

In not so many words,yes. The FIRST thing out of the guys mouth was "You might want to think about getting a new car". I immediately told him i will never get rid of my car,and he just started telling me all it would need to be fixed. I just got done putting new rear shocks,O2 sensor,plugs and wires and an oil change,and now new tranny mounts.She's good to go for awhile.Plus it only has 70,600 original miles on it.

The Grand total was $105.They even hung my exhaust back up for free(it had been sagging)

Benzilla
04-05-07, 08:43 PM
Glad it worked out, but now you can't get a sage green coupe yet. :o

And yeah really, post pictures!

Jonas McFeely
04-05-07, 08:46 PM
Payback is more pictures of your Sage Green Brougham. It's been so long since I've seen pics of that car..

Last time you saw it,it had no bumpers. It has bumpers now and the A/C works again,just in time for summer. I just got it back from the shop and its driving perfect,better than the day i bought it,i swear it even shifts smoother.I just got done washing it and detailing the interior.I'll use my friends digital camera this weekend and take a bunch of pics of the exterior and interior. I promise.

Jonas McFeely
04-05-07, 08:52 PM
Glad it worked out, but now you can't get a sage green coupe yet. :o

And yeah really, post pictures!

I WILL find a Sage Green Coupe one day.Mark my words. There were only 55 of them ever built,and im sure almost everyone who has one doesnt know that.Im pretty sure its the rarest Brougham Coupe ever made.Only sad thing is that i wonder how many dip shits have made them into lowriders or repainted them,not knowing the rarity of it.

Any ideas on how i could find one?

Benzilla
04-05-07, 09:14 PM
You should have been around a couple months ago man!

there was one on ebay with 13s on it, a little rust but the interior was beautiful, it had about 80,000 on it. If I remember right it went for around 1.5k I tried to get a hold of you but I didn't have your email. here's a pic, but it loads slow, kinda big.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/puppycock.gif

nah, just f*cking with you...

Jonas McFeely
04-05-07, 10:44 PM
You fuc*ing douchebag! I so thought you were for real! AHHHHH! One day i'll see one...

Edit: i think the only Brougham Coupe that is more rare is the Mary Kay Pink one,and that is 1 of 1.

The Ape Man
04-05-07, 11:03 PM
I WILL find a Sage Green Coupe one day.Mark my words. There were only 55 of them ever built,and im sure almost everyone who has one doesnt know that.Im pretty sure its the rarest Brougham Coupe ever made.Only sad thing is that i wonder how many dip shits have made them into lowriders or repainted them,not knowing the rarity of it.

Any ideas on how i could find one?

Rarest? How about Sandstone. You have any RWD FBC production numbers with color. I'd really like to see them.

Benzilla
04-05-07, 11:08 PM
You fuc*ing douchebag! I so thought you were for real! AHHHHH! One day i'll see one...

Edit: i think the only Brougham Coupe that is more rare is the Mary Kay Pink one,and that is 1 of 1.
roflol! that's your punishment for liking donks ;)

Jonas McFeely
04-05-07, 11:14 PM
Rarest? How about Sandstone. You have any RWD FBC production numbers with color. I'd really like to see them.

I have production #'s i got from Sandy,ill post them tomorrow when i find them.

Jonas McFeely
04-06-07, 02:06 AM

These are the paint production numbers for 1985 Fleetwood Broughams,Sandy gave me these about a year ago.I'm not sure if he has any information on other years,ask him.

The 1st # is the # of 4-Door Sedan (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/##) Broughams & the 2nd # is the # of 2-door
Coupe (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/##) Broughams..... Here we go.....

11 Cotillion White 7727 / 1,307
12 Silver Frost 3804 / 418
15 Academy Grey 4194 / 389
19 Sable (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/##) Black 3979 / 530
25 Gossamer Blue 3557 / 494
31 Commodore Blue 5957 / 474
43 Aspen Green (rare bird!) 957 / 150
46 Sage Green (rare bird!) 393 / 55 -ME!
54 Chamois 1637 / 317
56 Sandalwood 2945 / 364
57 Burlwood Brown 2055 / 316
79 Bordeaux Red 2667 / 346
F I R E M I S T * C O L O R S
74 Autumn Maple F/M 1521 / 344
86 Desert Frost F/M 5069 / 632
90 Corinthian Blue F/M 4197 / 531
92 Cranberry F/M 1805 / 296
97 Charcoal F/M 2018 / 236

01 Mary Kay Pink {Mountain Laurel} 18 / 01

This all totals 54,500 Sedans (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/##) & 7,200 Coupes (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/##).

Jonas McFeely
04-06-07, 03:14 AM
Oh shit i just remembered you guys havnt seen the '85 Seville i had.I sold it on Ebay last year,i'll post pics and the story behind it.in the Seville forum,i have those pics now.

Destroyer
04-06-07, 07:11 AM
Here's an idea, intead of trying to find 1 of the 55 sage green coupes made, why not just get a coupe and paint it Sage green?.

The Ape Man
04-06-07, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting the info. I'm really looking for 1980 info. My 2 door Fleetwood is Sandstone and IIRC GM dropped that color after '80.

Jonas McFeely
04-06-07, 02:05 PM
Thanks for posting the info. I'm really looking for 1980 info. My 2 door Fleetwood is Sandstone and IIRC GM dropped that color after '80.

PM Sandy,he may be able to help you.1985 was the only year for Sage Green too.

Jonas McFeely
04-06-07, 02:10 PM
Here's an idea, intead of trying to find 1 of the 55 sage green coupes made, why not just get a coupe and paint it Sage green?.

For many reasons:

It just wouldnt feel right,i'd feel liike i was a fake.I could only have a REAL one,that left the factory with that paint.

It would be next to impossible to find the interior pieces for it.All of the Sage Green Broughams had the matching Sage interiors.And EVERY little thing in the car is green. It would be way more hard to try and fake one and even if i did,i wouldnt feel right.

Benzilla
04-06-07, 08:54 PM
You could put 99% of your Sedan's parts on a coupe.

Or just switch shells.

Jonas McFeely
04-06-07, 09:03 PM
You could put 99% of your Sedan's parts on a coupe.

Or just switch shells.

Except the door panels.

Benzilla
04-06-07, 09:06 PM
Those you could dye pretty easily. If you get the right stuff it blends perfectly.

Jonas McFeely
04-06-07, 10:45 PM
Those you could dye pretty easily. If you get the right stuff it blends perfectly.

Never,only a real one will do.

z06bigbird
04-06-07, 11:02 PM
That pep boy mechanic knows less than I do.

Ed

Jonas McFeely
04-09-07, 05:19 PM
That pep boy mechanic knows less than I do.

Ed

Yeah,when i got my new plugs and wires put on there,they manged to not plug one of wires back on the spark plug itself.I drove around running on 7 cylinders for over a month,wondering WTF was wrong with my car.My friends brother finally figured it out...

BluEyes
04-10-07, 08:53 AM
Learn to do your own work. If you want to keep a car for more than the average 3-5 years then it's the only way to go.

Oh yeah, and don't let stuff like this go for so long! Fortunately it was something easy this time and no damage done, but you can take alot of problems from 'simple fix' to 'expensive' by waiting that long even though the car is still running.

Jonas McFeely
04-10-07, 04:27 PM
Oh dont get me wrong,i know how to do almost all the easy stuff.Ive down brake overhauls on an '85 Seville, '89 Accord and on an '89 Sable,i know how to bleed them and all that stuff.Ive done plugs and wires before,countless oil changes,put a fuel pump in a '85 Seville, and alot more stuff. Im just lazy and my dad doesnt mind paying for things...