: Thinking about a new 06 STS V8

GFiLA
04-03-07, 11:04 AM
I presently own a 05 CTS and went into the dealership and saw that the 06 STS Northstars are being sold for $10,000 under list. That would be $43,350ish. Can anyone provide any options on the northstar engine, and their feelings on the car. I like the CTS but the STS is a bigger and nicer looking car. Thanks in advance.

coati
04-03-07, 12:14 PM
That's a great price for a new '06 STS w/Northstar.
With gas prices as they are today, I don't think they're flying out of the showrooms.
The gas mileage is nothing spectacular & doesn't even come close to EPA estimates.

When I purchased my new '06 STS w/Northstar (1SG) last year,I originally was going to get a CTS.
Really wanted an '08 CTS but couldn't wait that long, wasn't sure at the time what it would look like, prefer a second year car or more & had to take advantage of some GM rebates).

However when I compared the two, there was no way I was going to get the CTS as the STS was way nicer in my opinion both inside & out.
Far more refined & luxurious.
I think they're pretty much completely different animals.
The CTS is sportier, smaller, quicker, more intuitive, fun & easier to drive.
The STS is larger, more luxurious, a bit clunky in the city but at home on the open road. Smooth as silk on the highway w/more power. A real joy to drive on the highway.
The STS seems to have a slight "computer lag" when accelerating & shifting.
I didn't notice that at all in the CTS where throttle response was instantaneous.

I've found the STS a little trickier to drive due to it's driving visibility.
The A,B & C pillars are all large & the car is relatively high.
It just feels "big" compared to the CTS.

The car is far from perfect but, I LOVE driving my STS & think it's a cool car.

As far as I know, there are no Northstar engine options other than the Supercharged V series engine.
There are different handling packages that will give you a different final rear drive gear ratio.

You may want to wait if you can for the new '08 CTS to arrive this summer in Cadillac showrooms.
It should be a big hit & be a great car.
The pictures look good & promising but you never know until you see it in person.
Also, I think it's preferable to get a second year model as opposed to the first year as generally they've worked out some of the "bugs" from the introductory model.

ascariSTS
04-05-07, 04:31 AM
I had experience with both cars...

CTS is great... really fun to drive... sporty, agile, quick... but compared to STS... i just can't explain my feeling when I drove STS for the first time

It's a big car with a small car feeling... VERY agile, Very fun to drive... Eye catching more than CTS... Combines both luxury and sport... you feel like a VP...

There were some few reliability problems.. but mostly are minor and dealers have a quick fix for all of them... even the acceleration lag that happens on some cars... I had mine for more than a year... so far... it's the best...

the only thing you have to know is whether it has a Magnetic Ride suspension or not... MagnaRide is one of the best suspensions I've ever tried when it comes to cornering, speed, response... It handles like a dream... but it's stiff... even if you choose the "Touring" mode.. still stiff... so you better try it first if it has Magnaride...

It's a great ride.. it has all the options... they didn't miss anything... well, they missed one thing.. front parking sensors : )

GFiLA
04-11-07, 02:30 PM
thanks guys for the input

Force-1
04-11-07, 11:21 PM
I just bought an 06 STS for $13K under MSRP, which is the going rate here in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area.

cooncat
04-12-07, 08:07 AM
Congrats Force on the purchase. It is a great car. I have mine now for three months. The only thing I don't like about the car is the gas mileage, but oh well. The performance is terrific.

z06bigbird
04-16-07, 11:12 PM
Northstar is a great engine. It has been around since 1993. Over the years, it has changed drastically--for the better.

It is very quick. I just sold a pretty red 1997 SDV with 27k miles on it. 28 mpg on highway at Texas speeds. I never checked it around town because I almost never drove the car. I really miss that car and that engine.

You can calculate the extra gas you will eat up with the Northstar. When it comes down to it, the additional expense is small for the power.

Ed