: 2000 Chevy Blazer Info Wanted

DopeStar 156
04-03-07, 01:09 AM
I'm a long way from having one in my driveway, but due to the recent death of my '99 Chevy Malibu LS this is the vehicle I've chosen as a replacement. I'm gonna take about a year to save up and eliminate some existing debt I have but in the mean time if anyone knows anything about these trucks I'd be happy to know thair strong points, weaknesses, and anything else but so far I've heard good things about these trucks....

Thanks.....

Jonas McFeely
04-03-07, 01:24 AM
My buddy just got a '00 Blazer 4x4 4 door.Just had the motor replaced at 136k. It drives nice,but isnt as refined or nice as i had expected.Still,overall nice.

Florian
04-03-07, 08:28 AM
Dope,

I have a 00 Jimmy 4x4 (The Blazers sister vehicle) and did a boatload of research on it prior to purchase. Having had the car for 3 years now (almost 50K mi), I can see the 2 flaws of the design, minimal, but something to look for.
1. tie rods (small, they break/bend and can cause issues) Have your mechanic look at em prior to purchase and replace if necessary, pretty cheap insurance.
2. Front Wheel Hub/Bearing pack. The Blazer/Jimmy tend to nose dive on braking putting all the stress on the front brakes/bearings and the wheel hub/bearing wears pretty badly. Replacements are about 300 per side, but you can Ebay em and get em for about 125/side. They last about 60K miles then dump.
If you keep her oiled and lubed, shell run forever. The 4.3L motor is bulletproof and the drivetrain is a proven winner. Shes not the peppiest vehicle in GMs fleet, but theres BOATLOADS of aftermarket parts and support. This was one of the longest runs for GM trucks, so theres plenty of knowledge out there on em, so most neighborhood wrenches can take care of them, meaning you can keep the dealer out of it.
I recommend it...I paid 8G's in 2004, so they depreciate pretty good, mine was in excellent condition w/low miles and Im sure you can pick em up for next to nothing now.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Later

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-03-07, 07:02 PM
Florian was dead on for his post about the tie rods and front wheel bearings. That's a common complaint I see at work.

From driving them around the lot at work, I've found out they have ample low end torque, bulletproof reliability, comfy seats, and when optioned out right (LT package) they have all the goodies that your Brougham does plus some. I'd recommend one! I actually like 'em quite a bit, but if I was to get an SUV, I'd be going two door Tahoe. :cool2:

DopeStar 156
04-03-07, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the tips, so far I've been favoring the LT package as well. The average price I've seen for a 1999/2000 Blazer I've seen on AutoTrader was like $5k which is a little outta my range. I was hoping for something in the $3k area. Hopefully when I'm ready to buy they'll be cheaper. I've been checking them out on eBay as well, I'm drawn to these things, I see millions on the road now and they have started turning my head......

caddycruiser
04-03-07, 08:25 PM
Yeah, the typical issues have already been mentioned, and aside from that, they were never the greatest in terms of overall build quality or refinement at all, but are generally strong running and lasting, as long as you don't mind some sloppy driving characteristics and squeaks & rattles. Just my experiences, as they're from the "old GM".

That said, they're still the most popular vehicle--no lie--from where we're from in western PA originally, and every time we go back, it's like Blazer land. So, obviously, people buy them for a reason and like them for what they are.

Florian
04-03-07, 10:11 PM
they are almost indestructable....I trash mine all the time, no issue. Its like a little puppy, just comes running up for more!

F

LS1Mike
04-03-07, 10:12 PM
I had a 1991 for a very long time, The newer ones are similar but have updates. I had a fully loaded one, nice and comfy. It was a good ole' reliable 4.3 TBI. Brakes could have been better, but in the 210,000 miles I put it on it for a total of 280,000 (bought it used) I replaced a water pump, the intake manifold gasket once and the fuel pump (the ex-wife ran it dry and killed it). The rest was normal maintenance, oil changes, brakes twice and tires.
Hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned.
Here is the kicker sold it dirt cheap to buddy of mine. He now has 340,000 miles on it. Never a tranny out or a valve cover removed.

Florian
04-03-07, 10:17 PM
I had a 1991 for a very long time, The newer ones are similar but have updates. I had a fully loaded one, nice and comfy. It was a good ole' reliable 4.3 TBI. Brakes could have been better, but in the 210,000 miles I put it on it for a total of 280,000 (bought it used) I replaced a water pump, the intake manifold gasket once and the fuel pump (the ex-wife ran it dry and killed it). The rest was normal maintenance, oil changes, brakes twice and tires.
Hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned.
Here is the kicker sold it dirt cheap to buddy of mine. He now has 340,000 miles on it. Never a tranny out or a valve cover removed.

....testify, brotha!

F

LS1Mike
04-03-07, 10:27 PM
Man this post just had me over at Ebay looking for another 90/91 just before the Vortec, the best years for the TBI.

My Big Block TBI is just as good.

eldorado99
04-03-07, 11:26 PM
My friend's mom has one which I have ridden in numerous times as my friend has had to borrow it while his El Camino was being worked on occasionally. They bought it fully loaded, lots of features all very nice. Power is moderate I would say, it will accelerate at a decent pace, you won't win any real races though. The body roll is just awful, all it takes is moderately quick turn and the tires will rub the fender wells, and make lots of noise. Very comfortable, spacious, good riding, and good looking vehicles however. Don't expect great mileage, I believe my friend said they get about 16 mpg city, Probably similar to your Brougham in that respect.

Red_October_7000
04-03-07, 11:51 PM
Eldo 99 -it's a truck :) That's all to be expected. My best advice to Dope is to get himself behind the wheel of one and see if it puts a tilt in his kilt. I drove one when I was looking for a car at one point, and it was a very nice vehicle. However I didn't care for my view out. You gotta know this stuff before you realy set your sights on something.

gdwriter
04-03-07, 11:56 PM
My parents bought a '98 2WD Blazer in '99 and as far as I know, it's been reliable and trouble free. I've driven it a few times when I've visited them, and it drives pretty nice. The Vortec 4.3 has good power and it rides suprisingly smooth for an SUV.

Florian
04-04-07, 05:29 PM
The body roll is just awful, all it takes is moderately quick turn and the tires will rub the fender wells, and make lots of noise. I believe my friend said they get about 16 mpg city, Probably similar to your Brougham in that respect.

Body roll awful??? Rubbing wheelwells? Your buddy needs to get his shocks checked...period. Ive NEVER had that kind of issue, and I beat the livin tar outta my Jimmy. I average 18-19 mpg city/hwy combined.

F

LS1Mike
04-04-07, 08:21 PM
I have never had the happen either and the 91s were worse. I have had that old 91 burried in mud, water in the cab, pulled out a couple of 4 runners with it. Like I said best damn car I ever owned, I hate to see it drive by, I miss it.

DopeStar 156
04-06-07, 11:15 AM
I found one yesterday....

2000 with 103k on it at a Subaru dealer, it's in pretty good shape. Engine's clean, interior's not messed up for a negotiable $5300. If I was ready to buy, this would be the one. Maybe it'll still be around when I am.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/00blazer1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/00blazer2.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-07, 07:11 PM
I'd go for one with the LT package, all the Cadillac goodies...dual power heated leather seats, electronic climate control, trip computer, etc etc. Or how about a Bravada or Jimmy?