: A difficult decision *updated pg 2*

Rolex
04-02-07, 09:31 PM
Some of you long-timers will remember my thread a couple of years back regarding my dog Zeus biting children. I thought we had moved past those days. My old friend had even begun to re-integrate back inside the house most nights.

Recently he has been tormented with severe anxiety and what I regard as panic attacks which haven't responded to medication. He's broken off all his teeth biting at the fence to get out of the yard. The most disturbing thing is that he bit my 2 year old daughter last week. Thankfully his bite won't leave any permanent physical scars.

I had some blood tests run on him to test his thyroid function. News to me that thyroid problems are the leading cause of K9 agression. Well, I got the lab results today and the bad news is there's no physical cause of his agression toward children. So I'm not sure there's a cure for it.

Zeus has been my friend and companion for 9 years. He's been with me since college, and before I got married. I've been saying goodbye to him tonight and indulging him with his favorite treats and chest rubs. I have decided that the liability of keeping him around my daughter is too great. My neighborhood is also full of children, and if he hurt or killed someone's child I could never live with myself.

As you can imagine it's a near impossible task to find a home for a 9 year old mixed breed that has a tendency to bite. I'm sure I will draw some criticism for doing so but I'm having him euthanized tomorrow morning. While he doesn't have any obvious physical disorder, I believe in my heart he is suffering mentally.

Sorry to bum you guys out with my baggage, but I felt like I had to unload a little.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/DSCF0041.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/ZEUS.jpg

RightTurn
04-02-07, 09:45 PM
Beautiful dog, Rolex. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I lost my dog last November and there's still a hole in my heart.

caddycruiser
04-02-07, 09:46 PM
Well, that's awful and I'm never a proponent of euthanasia, but reality is even if you gave him to a shelter, they'd likely find out about his aggression and deem him unadoptable and do the same thing.

I still would think there's someone out there he might be different with, but that's rarely the case with dogs, and you clearly have taken the measures to have him medically checked out. Just like people sometimes have mental issues, so too do dogs in all seriousness, and sometimes that leads to the inevitable.

But he's lived a good life, and hopefully whatever mental torment has been going on will now be done with...it's just a real shame you couldn't find anyone or anywhere for him to go, as that's always the last possible resort in any case.

We have 3 dogs right now, and have never had less than 2 ever, so I know what you'll be going through, if not even more so because you've already seen some of the downward spiral. You both will truly be better off, and he won't be suffering anymore and you won't have to worry about what might happen either.

LS1Mike
04-02-07, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear it. That is a tough decision, do you think someone without kids might want him? Maybe he is jealous of your little one?
It really dosen't matter, it is hell to have to get rid of any pet, espcially one that you love that much.
It is important to do what is best for your 2 year old and I can respect you for that. I would do the same to my dog if he ever did that to my 18 month old.

DILLIGAF
04-02-07, 10:04 PM
Been there!I had a mixed breed that would bite kids when they scream or squeal.My dog only weighed 20lbs,but when I saw that dog actually hang from my nieces ass,THAT WAS IT!I took that dog to the vet 5 minutes later and have never looked back.I still have no clue why that dog would do that?He was 2 when I had him put down.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-02-07, 10:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Rolex. My sympathies go out to you and your family.

Jon
04-02-07, 10:14 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. That's horrible. There's no way I could ever bring myself to go through with that. Isn't there any way to find him a better suiting home? For people like me who don't want children?

dkozloski
04-02-07, 10:14 PM
Give Cesar Milan a call. That guy gets astounding results.
http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/

Jon
04-02-07, 10:16 PM
Give Cesar Milan a call. That guy gets astounding results.
http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/
You gotta give that a try. He's been one of your best friends for 9 years, you can't just give up.

Jonas McFeely
04-03-07, 12:59 AM
Im very sorry to hear that.I know what its like to lose a pet that youre close to.But i think you are doing the best thing.Its gonna suck.You may even cry(i would).But you have a daughter to think about.You are doing the RIGHT thing.You will miss him,but not as much as your daughter if he were to really go nuts.

I actually just watched Beethoven(the movie) today,kinda weird.

If you ever get sad,just know you did the right thing.

Spyder
04-03-07, 01:40 AM
You've got yourself a PM...

illumina
04-03-07, 02:12 AM
I'm not going to sugarcoat my feelings on the situation; give the dog up to someone before you have him needlessly killed. There are places that will take him :mad:

70eldo
04-03-07, 04:04 AM
What a sad thing to lose your friend like that.
I hope you are considering the good tips they gave you here...

Rolex
04-03-07, 07:39 PM
UPDATE: we couldn't quite bring ourselves to follow through today. So this morning my wife called and cancelled our appointment with the vet. We're going to give it another week and try VERY hard to adopt him out. There are so many cattle farms around this area, there's bound to be a place that could use a good guard dog and companion. So we're going to give it awhile and re-evaluate after another week.

Jon
04-03-07, 08:50 PM
UPDATE: we couldn't quite bring ourselves to follow through today. So this morning my wife called and cancelled our appointment with the vet. We're going to give it another week and try VERY hard to adopt him out. There are so many cattle farms around this area, there's bound to be a place that could use a good guard dog and companion. So we're going to give it awhile and re-evaluate after another week.
I'm very happy to hear that you've called it off. Try that dog psychiatrist thing or something. I really hope it all works out.

illumina
04-03-07, 10:32 PM

Thank you sir! I'm kinda soft when it come to dogs.

DILLIGAF
04-03-07, 10:38 PM
Hope it works out bro!

The liability of keeping an animal that bites is crazy!

caddycruiser
04-03-07, 11:27 PM
That's good to hear, even though I did give another feel with my first post.

HOPEFULLY, there is some place or some way for him, as like I said, euthanasia is always a last resort. Ask around, post ads, etc., if you haven't already, and maybe someone will either have a suggestion that works, or more likely will have a place he can "work" with.