: Audiophiles a question

slk230mb
04-02-07, 02:46 PM
We have a Bose Acoustimass 6 Series II home theater system that someone gave us when we moved into this house and we never used it. Now that construction is winding down I want to make use of it. I think all I need is a receiver/amplifier. Is that all I need? Any suggestions on a decent one that isn't too expensive? Please spare me the Bose-bias, I'm aware of it, but this was a gift over 5 years ago.

Vesicant
04-02-07, 03:22 PM
We have a Bose Acoutimass 6 Series II home theater system that someone gave us when we moved into this house and we never used it. Now that construction is winding down I want to make use of it. I think all I need is a receive/amplifier. Is that all I need? Any suggestions on a decent one that isn't too expensive? Please spare me the Bose-bias, I'm aware of it, but this was a gift over 5 years ago.

Yeah you should just need a reciever.

How much are you looking to spend? Yamaha has some stuff with plenty of features (depending on your setup) for a good price. If you're really concerned about high-definition quality and/or features/connections the price can rise substantially.

slk230mb
04-02-07, 03:40 PM
The room that will eventually be our TV room is getting done professionally (my moms concession to my dad). This will probably go in the basement or in my bedroom. I'd like something with a few inputs so I can connect more than cable box to the surround sound.

xxpinballxx
04-02-07, 04:17 PM
I like Denon AVR-2307CI receiver is a nice one I had it for a month or two and for a receiver its got alot to offer.
I really like denon but got a free kenwood surround and another onkyo 770 for 100 bucks brand new so i decided to sell my denon to my brother in law. I think for a receiver the denon beats both the others hands down!

Jonas McFeely
04-02-07, 06:26 PM
I have an Onkyo 8-channel from 1983 that my dad gave me about 6 years ago. The damn thing is bulletproof and sounds amazing. Onkyo has a good pedigree,and the new ones arnt too expensive.

Im kind of anal about keeping all of the brands the same,so i'd probably keep it in the audiophile family.

danomac
04-04-07, 12:13 AM
If it's the set I'm thinking of (5 really small speakers with a subwoofer) I wouldn't even hook them up.

All you would need is an amplifier (as others mentioned), but you do need to check the speakers for impedance (Bose seems to have always used lower impedance speakers, and some amplifiers don't like it.) Make sure you have something capable of driving 6 or 4 ohm drivers without overheating.

Uhh, I just looked on Bose's website, and those are the speakers that sound pretty bad. IIRC, they don't have any midrange at all, you can hear people speaking through the subwoofer. You'll probably hear more using the TV speakers.

If you had a set of 401s at least they were capable of producing midrange sounds, although they were a bit boomy on the bass side.

You can probably get a basic Pioneer 7.1 capable amp for $300-500. I think I paid $429 for mine for my spare room.

slk230mb
09-09-08, 08:39 PM
Bump. Over a year later and we're finally ready to setup this up.

Anyone have a recommendation on what to buy for an receiver/amplifier?

Red_October_7000
09-09-08, 09:35 PM
I say throw it in the nearest skip, or put it on eBay and see if you can fleece some sucker into taking it off your hands. Bose hasn't made good speakers in ages and ages; their new stuff is just absolute rubbish. They trade on their good name. If you want good sound buy the $99 Sherwood receiver that most Radio Shacks carry, and the $99 Yamaha floorstanding speakers too. They sound great together and they're a good value. The receiver is an old-fashioned heavy iron type, it weighs a good 35 lbs. Forget about the Bose.

Night Wolf
09-09-08, 10:39 PM
ummmm....yeah.... you mentioned the problem in the original post:

Bose Acoustimass 6 Series II

Really don't waste your time or money.... give it away or sell it on the bay and maybe someone will actully pay money for it....

What kind of system do you want? stereo or home theater? either way you can get a decent system together for a low price, or spend a bit more and get even better.... but.... avoid the Blose

Rolex
09-09-08, 10:47 PM
A high end Yamaha receiver linked to some Klipsch speakers FTW.

If I had to recommend a receiver to push your Bose it would be Yamaha first, then look to Sony or Onkyo second. Yamaha has the lowest THD and cleanest sound of any of your off the shelf receivers.

Playdrv4me
09-09-08, 11:14 PM
Bose gets a sometimes deservedly, and sometimes UNdeservedly bad rap. This depends ENTIRELY on the application. Every audiophile site for example slams the Bose TriPort headphones I've got yet every average consumer magazine like PC World raves about them. I think they are just perfect and supremely comfortable and good looking for laptop and iPod use, and MP3s aren't the model of sonic accuracy anyway. And if you think I am talking out of my a$$ then I should also remind you that I own a pair of Grado SR-80s which are pretty much the holy grail of under 400.00 cans, and outperform many costing in the thousands. They just arent comfortable with the rough earpad and require a precision headphone amp to sound their best. They are like the fine China you take out for Thanksgiving.

I say try to sell them on ebay, if no one comes up with a reasonable bid, then for all you want them for you're not going to mind them at all. Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo and Harmon Kardon would be a place to start for reasonably priced amplifiers.

Night Wolf
09-09-08, 11:15 PM
A high end Yamaha receiver linked to some Klipsch speakers FTW.

If I had to recommend a receiver to push your Bose it would be Yamaha first, then look to Sony or Onkyo second. Yamaha has the lowest THD and cleanest sound of any of your off the shelf receivers.

Yeah, but none of that matters when played over the mentioned speakers.

I'm into 2ch stuff, vintage gear.... but for mass market home theater, I would also reccomend Yamaha..... Onkyo and Harmon/Kardon also have some nice stuff, but a little more money.

Buy used and get a better receiver for less.

Night Wolf
09-09-08, 11:23 PM
Bose gets a sometimes deservedly, and sometimes UNdeservedly bad rap. Every audiophile site slams the Bose TriPort headphones I've got yet every average consumer magazine like PC World raves about them. I think they are just perfect and supremely comfortable and good looking for laptop and iPod use, and MP3s aren't the model of sonic accuracy anyway. And if you think I am talking out of my a$$ then I should also remind you that I own a pair of Grado SR-80s which are pretty much the holy grail of under 400.00 cans, and outperform many costing in the thousands. They just arent comfortable with the rough earpad and require a precision headphone amp to sound their best. They are like the fine China you take out for Thanksgiving.

I say try to sell them on ebay, if no one comes up with a reasonable bid for all you want them for you're not going to mind them at all. Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo and Harmon Kardon would be a place to start for reasonably priced amplifiers.

I've given them a listen and wasn't impressed, then when I saw the price tag I shook my head.

The SR-80's are nice, but like the 125's they do need a headphone amp to really sound their best... I've got the 60's, which I run right off the laptop, iPod, or thru my headphone amp, and they sound awesome either way.... my friend has the 125's and as was mentioned in reviews, the 60's actually sound better when powered right from the laptop/music player without a headphone amp.... the 60's were made to be used right from the device hence the mini plug.... darn things are $60 and about one of the only things brand new that I can say honestly is worth it's money.... they really are awesome, and I like the style :)

As for the 80's being uncomfortable.... order a pair of the foam pads for the 60's... they are alot softer and are a direct fit... go one step further and when you get them, place a quarter in the very center of them and use an Xacto knief to cut it out, that removes the foam right over the portion of the speaker that goes against your ear (as I think the pads on your 80's come) but they are very comfortable..... Also, all the Grado SR series are picky about placement and sound quality takes a dive if they are not centered perfect. When I am listening to music on my 60's after about 10-15mins I really forget I am even listening to headphones. I'd like to get some Shure e4c IIRC for the iPod when on the road... as anyone thats used the Grado's know they are not practical for any type of active or public use.

As for Bose.... I'm just not impressed by their stuff, but there is so much behind it, they are all marketing. Although for whatever reason, their factory car sound systems are usually pretty decent.

Eric Kahn
09-09-08, 11:41 PM
Just about any name brand receiver will do a good job, (I have a Harmon kardon avr 235) but the speakers themselves are flawed and not much will help them, Ebay them and buy something better as for headphones I have Sony MDR-V6's and they sound great

Cliff8928
09-10-08, 03:58 AM
I like my Harman/Kardon receiver, it cost me somewhere around $500. The one I have is a DPR-2005 and has been discontinued for a few years now, but it still works well. I have it paired up with Infinity speakers. I just picked up a new sony receiver for a friend (STR-DA5300ES) and it has some amazing features, but that's only if you want to drop $1200 on a receiver.

Harman/Kardon has a factory outlet too, they sell some stuff on ebay as well. You won't need a ton of power to drive those little Bose speakers either.

slk230mb
09-10-08, 08:29 AM
ummmm....yeah.... you mentioned the problem in the original post:

Really don't waste your time or money.... give it away or sell it on the bay and maybe someone will actully pay money for it....

What kind of system do you want? stereo or home theater? either way you can get a decent system together for a low price, or spend a bit more and get even better.... but.... avoid the Blose

The room is pre-wired (regular cable) for 4 speakers, 2 rear, 2 front.

It's a basement, awkward shape. The space dubs as my dads office and he just wants something to connect his record player, CD player, and TV if he chooses.

I just figured to use what we had, but if someone has a recommendation on components, or a system to buy, that's reasonably priced, let me know.

I've never had to pick and choose home stereo equipment, and don't have the time at the moment to jump head first into research to figure this all out.

Something tells me Rick and Ian won't lead me astray :)

Night Wolf
09-10-08, 04:54 PM
The room is pre-wired (regular cable) for 4 speakers, 2 rear, 2 front.

It's a basement, awkward shape. The space dubs as my dads office and he just wants something to connect his record player, CD player, and TV if he chooses.

I just figured to use what we had, but if someone has a recommendation on components, or a system to buy, that's reasonably priced, let me know.

I've never had to pick and choose home stereo equipment, and don't have the time at the moment to jump head first into research to figure this all out.

Something tells me Rick and Ian won't lead me astray :)

Yey for newfound info....

iight so if it is wired for 4 speakers, then I bet it was originally wired for a stereo (2ch) system and someone just used both A and B outputs. For that reason, I would NOT reccomend a home theater setup, you said you dad just wants to listen to music and myabe TV.... a full 5.1+ home theater setup will only do good if you want to watch movies loud and hear the effects around you. From what I am getting, it dosen't sound like that is the case.

So let me ask more questions.... what type of music will be played? how loud? Is chest thumping bass a must?

You also mention record player... for that you'll need something with a phono preamp... most new mass market gear do not have a phono preamp, and if you find something that actually does, it probably won't be that good, nor will the cheap in-line phono preamps from Radio Shack.

From what I am gathering it sounds like you/your dad just wants a decent system to listen to various sources of music on and possibly listen to the TV using something better then the TV speakers.... it dosen't seem like you are trying to throw a block party or have the neighbors call the cops on you because their windows are shaking.... would this be correct?

One final thing, where will the gear be setup in reference to where you will be? will it be at a desk and the receiver will be right there next to you? is a remote for changing the volume a must?

Here is what I reccomend....

I would say a vintage receiver. Far better quality then anything mass market new, and you've got a solid phono preamp already, plus they are just cool... your dad may like it too. *IF* you are looking to go insanely loud or pump out bass, then overall power output is not a big factor, when it comes to the vintage gear, everyone wants the top of the line units, which makes their prices higher, that leaves the lower and mid level units to go for next to nothing.

Example, I have an Onkyo TX-2500 MKII, it was a very basic receiver for it's day, *only* 35watts per channel, most people would laugh at that, but it is real power, people don't realize that in most normal home listening, you rarely go over 1wpc rms, it is durring peaks (bass) where the extra power comes in handy. Personally, I would highly reccomend this very Onkyo, that 35wpc will push my big L100's further then my normal listening level and it sounds great doing it, the power is quite surprising... really though, you can get them on ebay cheap and it just has a very special sound to it.

There are currently none on there right now, but here is one that ended... example of price/picture...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Onkyo-TX-2500-RecieverMKII-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ180282687123QQihZ008QQcategoryZ 14981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's got AM/FM built in, phono input and then 2 tape monitors which are used as aux... CD player, TV etc...

Other low-mid level receivers would be the Sansui x0x0 line... 6060 and 7070 are the lower and mid level which you can get for a good price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-SANSUI-7070-AM-FM-STEREO-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ300256918669QQihZ020QQcategoryZ1 4981QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Same with vintage Pionner and Kenwood... all these vintage gear, the top line models are what brings the money, the lower and mid level offer the same quality but less power output and features, but for a basic sound system, it is plenty....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-SX-580-Vintage-Stereo-Receiver-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ140264648439QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50 596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-KR-4070-KR-4070-VINTAGE-MINT_W0QQitemZ170260295762QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14981 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then for speakers, I would spend a little more and get something decent.... for smaller size and if lots of bass isn't a must, I would reccomend the Axiom M3.... check them out, not widely known but very high quality, do some research and read reviews on them... you can pick the finish and everything. These speakers with a real 40wpc that any of those above receivers offer will play clear to levels higher then you would be comfortable to listen to. If you do want alot of bass, you can still go this route and add a powered sub, or, move up in the line of receivers to get more power, then move up in the speaker line.... but you would not be disapointed with this setup, I think you would be surprised. It would be under $500 for receiver and speakers at your house (the speakers ship free) and you would have a very nice, high quality system. Then if you did want more bass I would add a powered sub later downt he road.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m3.html

Thats what I recomend.... if a remote control volume is a must... then you have a few options, on my CD player (Nakamichi CD Player2 Limited) it has both fixed and varible outputs so I can control the volume thru the CD player remote, otherwise you will have to go newer to get something with a remote. If you've got other requests for what you would want or features, let me know, but from the sounds of it, this should suite the need well.

slk230mb
09-11-08, 08:13 AM
My dad is most likely going to listen to old vinyls, The Beatles, Sinatra, Motown, Led Zeppelin.

The record player actually has RCA out, and the old unit it was connected to had no Phono settings, I think*.

From what I am gathering it sounds like you/your dad just wants a decent system to listen to various sources of music on and possibly listen to the TV using something better then the TV speakers.... it dosen't seem like you are trying to throw a block party or have the neighbors call the cops on you because their windows are shaking.... would this be correct?

Correct

The equipment will be in the piece of furniture with the TV, about 5-8 feet from the desk. A remote is NOT a must, but would be nice.

If vintage is really the way to go, I should inventory all the stuff we have from the old house and have gathered from who knows where. I think we have a sony receiver, that needs amps, and a Jensen.

Night Wolf
09-11-08, 01:24 PM
My dad is most likely going to listen to old vinyls, The Beatles, Sinatra, Motown, Led Zeppelin.

The record player actually has RCA out, and the old unit it was connected to had no Phono settings, I think*.

Correct

The equipment will be in the piece of furniture with the TV, about 5-8 feet from the desk. A remote is NOT a must, but would be nice.

If vintage is really the way to go, I should inventory all the stuff we have from the old house and have gathered from who knows where. I think we have a sony receiver, that needs amps, and a Jensen.

All record players will have RCA out, but because the output level is much lower then other devices, you need a phono preamp.... if the record player was hooked up and you were able to listen to it in the past, then it was hooked up via phono preamp... there is also the ground cable which will help eliminate hum.

If you do have osme older gear, see what you've got, maybe come back with some model numbers... 70's Sony was good stuff too, their STR receiver line was pretty nice.... however I wouldn't waste time with Jensen.

heavymetals
09-11-08, 04:29 PM
I have the Yamaha RX series (two of them) and I think they sound pretty bitchin.

I really like the auto setup where you just set up the supplied microphone and push a button.

Sets up everything except phase.

The HDMI switching is convenient to.

Submariner409
09-11-08, 05:03 PM
Vinyl always sounds better on a dedicated turntable setup than transcribed to a digitized format. Not as easy to play, but sounds better. I have about 3,700 LP's and counting. The pics are of the living room with about 1/4 of the LP's in view in 2 cases. The monitors (200 Hz and up) are Epos 5's and the bass units (<200 Hz) are NHT 1249's in my own cabinets. The upper frequency amp is a VAC Pa 100/100 tube unit using KT-88 outputs and the bass amp is a Fosgate dual mono design. Klyne SK-5a preamp, Marchand crossover, Oracle DELPHI-IV turntable with SME IV-iv arm and Lyra Helikon MC cartridge. Harman Kardon 491 cassette, Njoe Tjoeb vacuum tube CD player, Magnum Dynalab analog tuner. All Kimber cable and my own hand-braided interconnects. The record cleaning machine on the record cabinet is an old Nitty Gritty 1.5. Whole thing sounds like real music. No thump-bump-diddy-whomp.