: Torque Converter while the trans is out

codewize
04-02-07, 09:59 AM
Here I go cross posting again. I always feel like things should go in the DeVille section then I change my mind and feel like they belong here. So here is the link.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/103373-torque-converter-question-while-trans-out.html

fubar569
04-02-07, 11:09 AM
Here I go cross posting again. I always feel like things should go in the DeVille section then I change my mind and feel like they belong here. So here is the link.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/103373-torque-converter-question-while-trans-out.html

by all means YES while the trans is out you should do this if you have the money. Yank will custom make you anything for any application if you contact them. mention it is for a 4T80-E in a Deville - mention your final drive ratio just in case (3.31 or 3.71 for 300hp motors) and what level of mods. i bet they will suggest some thing i the 26-3200 range for a street car...but it depends on where your peak torque is occuring at...this is where a dyno sheet comes in handy...

is it worth it? god yes...also do a LSD while you have the trans out and apart!!!!!!

lisekpl
04-02-07, 07:46 PM
...also do a LSD while you have the trans out and apart!!!!!!

What's a LSD, thanks

codewize
04-02-07, 09:13 PM
Limited Slip Differential

What's the cost and is it safe for the car?

Yank wants $945 for a custom TC. Not cheap. This is an unexpected repair unfortunately at a bad time. Not a lot of money to throw at this But....

fubar569
04-02-07, 09:34 PM
last i priced a LSD was about 700 bucks

the 4T80-E trans has an open diff...meaning only 1 wheel spins...LSD would make it so when power is applied or 1 wheel starts to slip, the other wheel locks in..."posi-traction" if you will...

it is not only safe but alot stronger than the stock diff unit...

codewize
04-03-07, 08:44 AM
Crap man, all this is really to bad. I wish this wasn't happening the way it is. This repair is going to cost me somewhere close to 2k as it is, and I'm really not prepared for that. To add close to a $1000 to that I just can't do, as bad as I want to.

This really sucks. Where would the LSD come from? Where can I look around for them? I've googled the crap out of this and can't find anything for the 4T80E

Thanks guys

jadcock
04-03-07, 10:41 AM
While I agree a limited slip differential would be stronger (any aftermarket unit probably would), there can be some undesirable effects when driven on the street in a FWD car (which is why MOST FWD cars don't have them). In addition, the excellent traction control system on these cars effectively turns the transaxle into one with limited slip functionality. If it were still winter, you could try it, with one wheel on dry pavement and one wheel on ice. The wheel on ice would slip and the traction control would apply that individual brake. A reduction of speed at one wheel necessarily means either a reduction in engine speed or an increase in speed at the other wheel. With the traction control braking one side, it effectively sends the engine power to the other side.

If you've had the hardship/pleasure of driving these cars in the snow, that becomes apparent. You can put the hammer down and the car just goes.

codewize
04-03-07, 11:17 AM
I agree. The TC in these cars is outstanding and I had though about how an LSD would affect the functionality of the TC. The question is do we see differential failure in these cars? If not then why be concerned with strength. That just means that the factory unit is strong enough.

I understand building to perform but an additional $700 - $800 at this point to replace something that will probably never cause a problem may be a mute point.

jadcock
04-03-07, 12:46 PM
The question is do we see differential failure in these cars?

No, almost never.

If not then why be concerned with strength. That just means that the factory unit is strong enough.

I agree 100%. I was just saying that, usually by definition, an aftermarket piece will be more stout than an OE piece, but in this situation, I agree it's a moot point.

codewize
04-03-07, 06:52 PM
SO if I decide to blow money on anything it should definitely be the TC, which I really can't afford to do, as bad as I want to.

:( Bummer