: 97 concours hard starting

brisul
03-26-04, 09:32 AM
ive changed the battery,plugs ,wires
ihave a p0404 code egr but the local mechanic doesnt seem to think thats the problem he wants to change the ignition module but thats big bucks any sugestions

CADDYBLACK99
03-26-04, 04:31 PM
Welcome brisul!

Thanks for joining! I have redirected your post to the Electrical section. I also inculded a link to the trouble code list. The guys on the electrical section are pretty sharp and should be able to help. Good luck!
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6853
:welcome:
Paul

DaveSmed
03-28-04, 12:31 AM
Check the fuel pressure regulator. With the car running, pull the vacuum line off and check for any sign of gas. I'll move this to the Northstar section (Sorry to bounce you around so much! Just trying to get you the best advice...) :coolgleam

BeelzeBob
03-28-04, 12:45 AM
And remove the EGR valve and clean the pintle and seat and the pintle shaft up inside the passage in the base of the valve. Deposits on the shaft can cause it to stick and set the code. Do not let solvent run up the shaft and into the can of the valve or the valve will be ruined when the solvents eat the insulation off the wire windings inside the can...

ianr57
03-28-04, 05:16 PM
I had this problem for months on my 97 Concours. After two or three misdiagnoses, it turned out to the be the fuel pressure regulator. The part is cheap enough (try rockauto.com) and easy enough to install that you could do it yourself just to eliminate the possibility.

brisul
03-31-04, 09:06 AM
thanks for the replies

while im waiting for my service manuals to arrive maybe someone can direct me to the fuel pressure regulator

BeelzeBob
03-31-04, 10:50 AM
thanks for the replies

while im waiting for my service manuals to arrive maybe someone can direct me to the fuel pressure regulator

Take the silver top cover off....four plastic nuts. It is just a beauty shield. Follow the fuel rail around the injectors and find the small canister shaped device on the fuel rail that has a vacuum line to it and the fuel return line exiting from it. With the engine idling, pull the vacuum line off and watch the vacuum nipple on the fuel pressure regulator for fuel leaking for several minutes while idling. There should be none. The FPR is easily replacable as a separate piece.

brisul
04-05-04, 09:52 AM
just wanted to say thank you for the responses i've recieved i changed the fpr and you guys hit it right on the money the slow starting has disapeared

now on to the egr cleanup