: Sirius TV - A stupid idea

Jesda
04-02-07, 04:06 AM
Sirius and Chrysler have teamed up to offer a couple kids channels in the back seats of new Chrysler minivans.

Whats the point?

You have to pay $7 a month for only three kids channels (Nickelodeon, Disney, Cartoon).

You can't pause the content, unlike a DVD. When you drop your kids off at school, they won't be able to pause it and continue watching later, resulting in whiny kids that demand to stay in the car until their show is over.

It eats into available bandwidth. Sirius already overcompresses their audio content, resulting in music that sounds like RealAudio over a dial-up connection. This certainly won't help.

Kids DVDs are only about $5-$8 a piece and they often enjoy watching them over and over and over, in and out of the car. Thats a better bang for the buck than a subscription TV service with only three channels.

BOOOOOOO!

The only positive is if XM and Sirius successfully merge, one network could be used exclusively for video and the other for audio.

caddycruiser
04-02-07, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I just saw this as a new feature in a ton of 2008 Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep vehicles with RSE, and wondered how it worked or what you got. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but then again, actually might be for the average kid who would end up sitting around at home watching the same channels anyway...now they can just continue that into the car. That can be either good or bad, but is definitely a cool new selling feature for a lot of people, I can imagine because you don't always have the time to play or fidget with a DVD, so just kick the TV on for that 10 minute drive to or from school and you're set.

slk230mb
04-02-07, 09:22 AM
I don't know what your talking about but my Sirius sounds way better than the XM in my dads Yukon.

xxpinballxx
04-02-07, 09:51 AM
Well i personally think its just a starting point for them. we'll see in a few years where they are. I'm guessing a full line up and better quality and DVR like options.

Blackout
04-02-07, 11:36 AM
Jesda you do know that when Sirius was first developed they did plan on offering video as well as audio.

c5 rv
04-02-07, 11:59 AM
It's a unique idea. The idea makes a lot of sense from the POV of ongoing revenue generation. A DVD or CD player is a one-shot sale for a vehicle. With services like satellite radio, satellite TV, and OnStar that vehicle has a potential to contribute to the bottom line for as long as it's on the road. Also, a lot of folks get tired of hauling CDs and DVDs to and from the car. At least they picked programming that would appeal to most backseat passengers so drivers won't hack the system right away to be able to watch ESPN while driving.

BTW, it's a Delphi product in the Chryslers:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070402/BUSINESS01/704020314/1014

Jesda
04-02-07, 04:19 PM
I don't know what your talking about but my Sirius sounds way better than the XM in my dads Yukon.

Thats because GM's tuner hardware is trash.