: Best 1/4 mile time in the STS V..

VelocitySTSV
04-01-07, 06:00 PM
To date, the best 1/4 mile time I have gotten out of the car has been 13.3. This was accomplished with Traction off and trans in the S mode. Tiptronic and regular drive are even slower. Anybody else had better times?

60 foot time was just under 2.0 secs. 1/4 mph was 105.

ssstealth
04-01-07, 06:20 PM
13.2 @ 103 mph - Atlanta Dragway is 1002 ft elevation.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/sshs6-R1.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/th_PICT0056.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/?action=view&current=PICT0056.flv)

VelocitySTSV
04-01-07, 06:38 PM
Any modifications to your car? What modes did you run it in?

ssstealth
04-01-07, 07:12 PM
Bone Stock!!!

VelocitySTSV
04-01-07, 07:48 PM
What modes did you find performed best?

ssstealth
04-01-07, 10:25 PM
There does not seem to be any "mode" that completely eliminates wheelspin. The best I could do was to set the system in "Competitive Driving Mode" and use the sport side of the automatic shifting. Even with a burnout and a "roll in" to the throttkle at start, there was still a little spinning.

It would take a good set of drag radials to stick properly and get a good launch. I will save my OEM rears and mount them to some extra wheels to abuse later.

The other thing is the heat soak inherent to superchargers. On my next outing, I will remove all of the covers so that the engine can cool between rounds.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/STS-V/P1010046.jpg

thefred
04-02-07, 07:23 AM
The other thing is the heat soak inherent to superchargers. On my next outing, I will remove all of the covers so that the engine can cool between rounds.

Here's a question for you....Why do we have that ridiculous cover and all the shrouds around the engine? Othen than to hide the engine, what is the purpose?

ssstealth
04-02-07, 07:29 AM
Very simple... There is no artful way to arrange the maze of plumbing and electrical components involved. So the next best thing is to just cover it all up.

VelocitySTSV
04-02-07, 08:39 AM
Here were two of my slips, obviously I was asleep at the wheel with one of my reaction times.

thefred
04-03-07, 08:31 AM
Very simple... There is no artful way to arrange the maze of plumbing and electrical components involved. So the next best thing is to just cover it all up.
And that's it? Strictly to make it look good without any functionality except to cause the engine compartment to hold more heat? Brilliant....

VelocitySTSV
04-03-07, 09:21 AM
Next time I will try the 1/4 mile with the plastics off to see if it makes a difference..:)

StealthV
04-05-07, 10:30 PM
Cadillac engine covers are acoustical dampers. Helps keep the cabin quiet and also gives the aura of quality to bystanders on the street with less engine noise.

Had a GM engineer give me crap a few years ago for yanking mine off. "Cadillacs are supposed to be quiet."

Headers and 3" dual exhaust quiet I agree. :)

ssstealth
04-05-07, 10:31 PM
Low altitude, Ambient temps under 50d, Engine temps under 160d, and sticky tires I think would get it into the high 12's.

caddyv8v
04-10-07, 08:21 AM
hey ssstealth, change/upgrade your ecu. with your experience at the track, guarantee you would fall into the 12's.

VelocitySTSV
04-10-07, 09:06 AM
With the traction control system the way it is, you are not allowed to brake torque the car even with the traction control systrem off. Not that I really want to do burn up a set of tires, but it might help to clean off the tires to improve the 60 foot times as well as launch a little harder. Has anyone found a way around this? I think that would help ensure consistant 12 second times.

ssstealth
04-10-07, 06:50 PM
Putting it into "Competitive Mode" by pressing the T/C button 3 times does allow you to do a full burnout. Holding the button down for 5 seconds completely disables the Stability Control.

Here is evidence for the burnout...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/SSHS6/burnout.jpg

xxcaddytech
04-11-07, 03:00 PM
big bags of ice on the supercharger between rounds would help! or a small shot of nos!

caddyv8v
04-13-07, 03:15 PM
i have thought about a 75 shot of nos, but with only 9 months left on my lease...well lets just say i am afraid of a meltdown.

WillySTS
04-14-07, 12:39 AM
I've never run mine in the 1/4 but, I just changed my radiator and charge coolant to very little dexcool and the rest water(bottled ,old earthquake preparedness 5 years old, if you must know, water, also changed the trans fluid to Amsoil ATF, Dextron VI specification) and Redline Water Wetter, 2 bottles each system, and the temp gauge runs 1 notch cooler right off the bat. There is no reading for the charge temp, but the car seems stronger and now it seems I'm reaching the over boost limiter sometimes because on some hard accel runs the car cuts out like it shifted, but it didn't and only in 1st and 2nd gear. Usually you reach highest boost in the higher gears...but that was in my turbo car I had before...anyway the car runs really strong. One day I will get it to the strip or or use my G-tech on it.

WillySTS
04-15-07, 02:28 AM
I figued out what that cutting out was...I had ony 1/4 tank of gas...it was starviving for fuel under hard accel. 1st and 2nd gears it accels the hardest,the fuel runs away,goes to the back of the tank away from the pickup when it is low in fuel. I thought modern cars didn't do that since all of my fast cars dating 25 years back did the same thing. I guess that funny gas tank that straddles the driveshaft has some drawbacks, it can't flow enough fuel when the tank is low.

My 66 Tempest did it after I built a strong 400 and put it in it.

My 77 Trans Am after I built a 455 and put it in it.

My current 91 454 SS pickup does it,
and now this car does it...all with 1/4 tank of gas or less the gas runs to the back of the tank under hard accel and it momentarily starves for fuel.