: Engine stalled and wont restart!!!

gizmo200118
03-26-04, 07:06 AM
Ok i just bought my 95 STS about 2 weeks ago. Lately the check engine light was on giving me the code P036. The car was hard to start when it was warm but it all ways started. Well I drove it for a few days with the check engine light on and didn't really have any problem except for the hard starting. I was going to take off the EGR valve and clean it this weekend. Well on my way home from work going about 70mph with the cruise on the car just died. I pulled over to th side of the road and tried to restart it but nothing it will turn over and fire for like one second and then die. Even if I have the gas floored with will still only run for like one second. After a few tries it sounded like it back fire threw the intake. Any ideals what could be doing this. It is 30 miles from my house one the side of the hi way. I hope i can get it to run long enough to get it home I really don't want to pay to have it towed all that way.

Thanks for any help.

B.J.

zonie77
03-26-04, 11:35 AM
It sounds like the fuel system. Try spraying starting spray into the intake and see if it runs a little longer.
You should get a fuel pressure tester. It is probably the fuel pump or relay.

You may want to get it towed before the state has it towed or someone vandalizes it. You might see if you get a better price if you let the tow company do it at their convenience (same day...not next week).

BeelzeBob
03-26-04, 11:36 AM
Ok i just bought my 95 STS about 2 weeks ago. Lately the check engine light was on giving me the code P036. The car was hard to start when it was warm but it all ways started. Well I drove it for a few days with the check engine light on and didn't really have any problem except for the hard starting. I was going to take off the EGR valve and clean it this weekend. Well on my way home from work going about 70mph with the cruise on the car just died. I pulled over to th side of the road and tried to restart it but nothing it will turn over and fire for like one second and then die. Even if I have the gas floored with will still only run for like one second. After a few tries it sounded like it back fire threw the intake. Any ideals what could be doing this. It is 30 miles from my house one the side of the hi way. I hope i can get it to run long enough to get it home I really don't want to pay to have it towed all that way.

Thanks for any help.

B.J.

Probably has nothing to do with the P036.

I would get a fuel pressure gauge and check for fuel pressure. The knee-jerk guess is that the fuel pump died. In a pinch spray some starting fluid (ether) thru the PCV port at the throttle body and see if it starts and runs on the extra fuel from the starting fluid. If it does then it is a dead givaway that there is no fuel supply....

ThomasO
03-26-04, 11:54 AM
And if you do end up needing a 30 mile tow, go ahead and sign up for Triple A Plus (AAA). It will probably cost less to start with and then you'll be covered for a year for future needs if any. You can sign up on the phone.

OlManRivah
03-26-04, 12:16 PM
If these tips don't get it started, you need to, at least, get it in your driveway. A 30 mile tow can't cost that much to protect your Caddy.

Good Luck!

gizmo200118
03-26-04, 04:26 PM
I got the car home and put a fuel pressure thing on the fuel rail and turned the key on and got nothing. It will start and run a little on starting fluid. I also got one hell of a back fire I think i used to much starting fluid:banghead: . Where is the fuel pump relay. I know it is in the turnk with the other relays but witch one is it and would that cause my problem?

thanks

BeelzeBob
03-26-04, 05:18 PM
Check the fuel pump relay by all means but I suspect that it is OK. The fuel pump on your 95 has a redundant feed that bypasses the relay I think so the pump should run if the oil pressure is up regardless of the relay....

gizmo200118
03-26-04, 06:00 PM
Ok i went out and played with it some more. Gave the relay a tap and the gas tank a little and it still wont start. Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? Just want to make sure before I spend a lot of money having the tank dropped for a new pump. I got a quote from the dealer that I live above. They want $420.45 for parts $132.00 for labor $7.92 for shop supplies and $30.82 for tax. I can get a pump for 280 from the local parts store but I am not sure if that is an AC delco pump. If it is I am going to buy that one and have the dealer install it and save me around $120. I think I will take the $120 I save on the pump and have them clean my EGR valve so I will stop getting the p036 code.

I love this car and am not going to give up on it. I will fix all the little problems one of these days

BeelzeBob
03-27-04, 12:00 AM
Ok i went out and played with it some more. Gave the relay a tap and the gas tank a little and it still wont start. Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? Just want to make sure before I spend a lot of money having the tank dropped for a new pump. I got a quote from the dealer that I live above. They want $420.45 for parts $132.00 for labor $7.92 for shop supplies and $30.82 for tax. I can get a pump for 280 from the local parts store but I am not sure if that is an AC delco pump. If it is I am going to buy that one and have the dealer install it and save me around $120. I think I will take the $120 I save on the pump and have them clean my EGR valve so I will stop getting the p036 code.

I love this car and am not going to give up on it. I will fix all the little problems one of these days

Many times when the fuel pump fails it takes out the wiring harness that is part of the sending unit. The pump fails be shorting out and it will draw more and more current until it actually melts the wires on the sending unit inside the tank or between the tank and the chassis harness. If the wires are damaged then just changing the pump is not sufficient. You will run into more costs trying to repair the individual wires in all likelyhood than it costs to just replace the entire sending unit which is what the factory part is I suspect. If you are doing it yourself this may be a good gamble as you can inspect the sending unit when it is out before buying the pump and replacing just the pump....but...if you are paying shop time beware.....

gizmo200118
04-01-04, 01:36 PM
I went out and put the pressure gage on my car to show my brother that it wasn't getting any fuel pressure. The gage said 0 so for the heck of it I go to try to start the car and I don't know how but it started right up! The battery is even very week. While the car was running the pressure gage still said 0. So we tried it one his car to see if the gage isn't broken and it worked fine on his.

So now my car runs but i don't know what caused it to just die like that on the hi way not start for like 2 days. Let sit for another 3 and then fire right up.

The day that my car died it was raining out pretty bad it was the first time I drove it in heavy rain and I went threw some big puddles. I wonder if that has something to do about it. I Kinda wished it was the fuel pump because then I would know what caused it to die and I would be afraid to take it anywhere.

I Pulled the codes from the computer and got P052, p095, p109, p110

I think the first 3 are from when I changed the battery (went dead from trying to start car) but not sure about the P110. Does that mean that I might have a short in my alternator and the car died because it drained the battery to much to run the car anymore? But why would it not start the next day when i put in a charged one. Unless if there was watter some where and needed time to dry out. Ok this is getting on my nerves.

BeelzeBob
04-01-04, 02:35 PM
First, figure out what is going on with the fuel pressure gauge. The engine will not run with zero fuel pressure. So, either the tap at the schraeder valve is not working correctly or the guage is flaky or...???? You really need to know what the fuel pressure is and what it does when it doesn't run...

gizmo200118
04-01-04, 04:30 PM
I think there is something wrong with the valve on the fuel rail where the pressure gage connects. I think that is why I was getting a 0 reading while the car was running. The fuel gage works fine. I should be able to replace that valve so that I can get a reading of the actual fuel pressure right? Would a fuel pump just die and then be dead or will it kinda go on and off until it finally kicks the can? I'll have more time to play with it tomorrow. I put it in my brothers garage while it was running today so I have a nice place to work on it. I am going to replace the fuel filter and change that valve if it isn't to hard. I am also going to see what the spark plugs look like, and look around and see if I can find any loose wires around the car. I would like to take off the EGR valve and clean it if I have time.

gizmo200118
04-08-04, 02:31 PM
Ok I put the pressure gage back on it this time when I turned on the key (but not enough to start it) The pressure jumped to 50 psi then instantly fell to about 35psi then slowly drop until it hit around 10 psi It took less than 60 seconds to drop from 35 psi to 10. Then I started it up and the pressure was around 42psi but it kinda moved 2 or 3 psi it didn't relay stay at one point. I then shut off the car. Let it sit for about 2 mins. turn the key back on and 0 psi. go to start it stumbles for a few seconds gage got to about 5psi and then nothing. My brother climbed in the trunk to see if he can hear the fuel pump kick on and said he didn't hear it.

I ordered the fuel pump from the local parts store The guy said it is the one with sending unit and all that. I am going to swap out the fuel pump on Saturday. I hope that is what the problem is. I will let you know what happens.

Thank god this all happened in my brothers garage so I don't have to push the car any where to work on it! :)

B.J.

gizmo200118
04-12-04, 02:40 PM
I was going to change the pump my self but it was a PITA so I took it to the dealer. 2 1/2 hours later she is running like new. The wires on the old pump were melted at the top. Took it home and put the pressure gage back on it and stay at around 40 psi. I am glad that I got that taken care of.

Now I need to clean the EGR valve and put some new spark plug wires on it (already did the plugs) Then i am going to get some Dynomax's and window tint. Man I love this car.

Thanks for all your help!

B.J.