: 1986 Fleetwood engine compatibility

kunta604
04-01-07, 07:23 AM
Hi,

I was lucky enough to receive a 1986 Cadillac Fleetwood. All the
exterior and interior are in remarkable condition, but the engine is
going to die any day. I fell in love with this car and I'm not ready
to send it to its grave in the junkyard. I would like to spend my
summer break installing a new engine in this baby.

Can someone please tell me what engines would fit into my car?
I would also like to know the price range of these engines.

Thank you.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-01-07, 08:18 AM
A lot of people talk about putting larger oldsmobile engines in their cars. I think all the sizes up to 400 will bolt right in without any fuss.

I've always wondered about this page here

http://www.hiperformer.com/

Seems like a good bargain. They sell rebuilt engines by the make and model of car they were in, and they also buy your old one off of you.

z06bigbird
04-01-07, 01:16 PM
Contact a GM distribution point (large dealer in large city). They sometimes have a few Target engines sitting there on their shelves for years. I bought a Chevy 4 cyl engine, last one on shelf. Paid $1000. They were kind enough to ship it to my dealer for $25.

3 year warranty, 50,000 miles. Orig engine had 3 yrs and 36000.

Aftermarket rebuilds are junk. Stay miles away. Junk yard can be good if you can see odometer of car it came out of.

Most 305s should fit, but don't quote me.

Ed

sizanjdf
04-02-07, 01:13 AM
the 307 is an olds motor with a BOP tranny. The easiest motor I know of to use is the oldsmobile 350 or 403. I would suggest the 350 because its the easiest/ cheapest to find. or just another 307 would work.

The Ape Man
04-02-07, 09:38 AM
Almost ant GM rear wheel drive engine will fit into your car. Some are a lot of work and some aren't. An Olds 350, 403 or just another 307 would be the easiest. Olds also made a 425 and of course the 455. Some fuel system calibration changes would be necessary with any engine displacement swap.
Expect extra cost involved. Engine replacement on older cars can mean broken exhaust bolts and/or studs. All rubber hoses and fan belts should be renewed. The list goes on. It's impossible to accurately quote a job like this without having the car to look at.