: how to remove door panel on 96 fleetwood?

pharaoh2653
03-31-07, 04:08 PM
hey guys i need your help. i need to replace the drivers side front window motor on my 96 fleetwood. anyone know how to remove the door panel? also how hard is it ro replace the motor? ive seen a few on ebay for about 40 bucks. are they any good?

thanks cole

Barrister_07101
03-31-07, 06:20 PM
If you are sure you need to replace the motor ... then be prepared. The manuals I have or have seen all say that the original motor (which apparently is welded in) has to be drilled out before a replacement can go in.

Removing the panels themselves is not that hard of a task. I would suggest that you use a door panel tool ... $10 or less to avoid breaking the plastic clips that hold the panel to the door (or ripping the clip housing). I would buy new clips as spares (just in case).

You should have a long flat head screwdriver. You'll need for the clips along the top of the door panel. Then need to be pushed out of three (I have a '94 so yours may be different) channel locks. Once out you can lift up and out the door panel.

P.S. FIRST - disconnect speaker, light and window switch connections (to avoid damaging them).

Good luck.

caddycruiser
03-31-07, 08:28 PM
Essentially:
1) Hold up the grab handle on the door panel, and remove the two screws underneath it (they are an extra grip from the door panel into the door).
2) Gently, go around the door panel starting at one of the lower corners and pull outward in the areas of clips (a door panel removal tool, with a pull handle & slot cut out of the "fork" is great here), and you should be unable to release each without breaking any.
3) Once all the clips are released, lift upward and then wiggle, etc. to get the 2 top edge clasps that wedge between the door structure and the window released--this is usually the trickiest for me, but still really easy. Just 2 metal bracket things.

Once you've done that, it'll be free from the door, and you just need to disconnect a few plugs.

pharaoh2653
04-01-07, 12:20 PM
thanks guys i hope it isnt welded in. ill check it out soon

caddycruiser
04-02-07, 07:09 AM
thanks guys i hope it isnt welded in. ill check it out soon

Yeah, not going to happen. But the materials are fairly soft, so just follow those steps and don't just yank on it, and you'll be fine. I can take mine off in a couple of minutes anymore, and not broken anything--just takes that first time to get used to it.

jayoldschool
04-02-07, 07:54 AM
Does the window move at all when you hit the switch?

Here is the door panel tool, btw. Get one at any parts place. Works great. You will likely break the little white tabs, so pick up a pack of those, too.

http://www.autotoys.com/pics/thumbs/t_doorpanelremovaltooldeluxe.jpg

ShadowLvr400
04-02-07, 09:42 AM
As a note, I doubt it's the motor, I bet the little plastic clips that hold the sliders in place went. Both back windows on my Fleetwood did that.

pharaoh2653
04-02-07, 12:56 PM
it makes no noise at all. i wont be able to open it up until next week. the previous owner said it went down sometimes but it never worked for me