: ~Need timing directions~1989 Brougham 307

54Cadillac
03-29-07, 11:36 PM
I know how to shoot gun and rotate distributor. Where in the heck is the vacuum hose to pull and plug? What wire needs to be grounded? Engine is still a lil rough after, plugs, cap, rotor, TPS sensor, (no codes now) Fuel filter, carb cleaner, oil change, trans filter, pcv shakes, replaced one vacuum hose (will keep looking for bad ones), new breather on valve cover, new air filter,,,,,,,,,,,,,Help I just want to set timing but don't know where to setup for it. Thanks!

Gonna clean EGR tubes under carb this weekend, maybe set timing too!

Carl
Chesapeake VA

[

54Cadillac
03-29-07, 11:38 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/happysquid_bucket/89fleetwood2crop.jpg

joe_padavano
03-30-07, 09:20 AM
Carl,

The 307 uses a fully electronic advance, so there is no vac hose or centrifugal advance weights for that matter. You need to ground the A and B terminals in the ALDL connector under the steering column while you set the timing.

54Cadillac
03-30-07, 03:20 PM
Great, I just picked up the distributor wrench, I'm on it!
I already know it needs to be advanced, I had the paper clip ground the other day and timing light on it. It was about 4 bumps down on the tab. I just couldn't get to the bolt. I also wanted to check charcoal canister since my car seams like its loading up on fuel somewhere and them blips a loss of power or a miss like every ten seconds, sometimes not noticeable? Maybe wires since I did everything else?

Thanks Joe!

54Cadillac
03-30-07, 06:45 PM
Timing set to 20*, and trans cable adjusted! She can get out of her own way now! During the timing change, it started smoking real bad, I thought the valve cover seal gave out, but I have exhaust leak at cat and it was really smoking out back and in engine bay from exhaust leak i guess. Once the computer readjusted to timing???? she is smoothed out and with cable adjust to trans, drives much better. Can't wait for my exhaust to show in the mail............

1lowcut
01-24-09, 02:43 AM
Carl,

The 307 uses a fully electronic advance, so there is no vac hose or centrifugal advance weights for that matter. You need to ground the A and B terminals in the ALDL connector under the steering column while you set the timing.

What is the ALDL and how would i locate it? havent went out to look at it yet as it is dark and cold. I need set the timing on my 89!!!!!

sven914
02-02-09, 06:07 PM
What is the ALDL and how would i locate it? havent went out to look at it yet as it is dark and cold. I need set the timing on my 89!!!!!

The ALDL is a black electrical connector, used for vehicle diagnostics, and is located in center of the under side of the dash board. If you look at you ashtray and follow the panel under it to the floor, the ALDL will be there.