: What do we think of these Lincolns?

Destroyer
03-29-07, 08:45 PM
Wifes '98 Deville busted a head gasket 2 days ago. Sold it within 20 minutes of putting it in Craigs list and 1 hour later I picked up this Lincoln Mark VIII for $3k. Has 58k original miles and is in great shape save for some paint chips but for the price I'm not complaining. Dont care for the color but once again we will live with it for the price. Normally I avoid Fords but with the Deville being such a nightmare I was not going with a Northstar again. Figured this would be comparable for her in terms of power/features. Anyone have experience with these?. I need to clean it up but here's pic or two.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-07, 08:53 PM
The '93-'96 Mark VIII is one of my favorite Lincolns of all time, I love them. Fun to drive, FAST, muscular, great handling, sexy. The Intech 4.6 is far superior IMO than the Northstar, much more reliable and moddable. The only real concern on those is the air springs, but that's nothing compared to some of the stuff on the comparable Caddies.

c5 rv
03-29-07, 08:56 PM
58K miles for only $3K? What's wrong with it? One of my sons bought a mid-80s Town Car with about 60K miles and had no end of problems due to it sitting for so long.

Jon
03-29-07, 09:06 PM
I'd like to see this '08 DeVille ;)

And I love those MarkVIII Lincolns. Very nice.

Blackout
03-29-07, 09:27 PM
58K miles for only $3K? What's wrong with it? One of my sons bought a mid-80s Town Car with about 60K miles and had no end of problems due to it sitting for so long.Nothing is wrong with it. Those cars hold their value for $hit. But as for Destroyer I have experience with them. What are you looking to do? BTW what year Mark VIII is it? If your interested I have a shop manual for a 1995

Sandy
03-29-07, 09:51 PM
Uh Oh.

I too bought a 1998 Mark 8. I kept it for 6 years, until 2003. It converted me. I replaced it witrh my present 2003 Town Car Limited Edition (Springtime "Feature Car") I actually love the T.C. more ! Watch out, in a few months you'll be crossing party lines :bigroll:

Destroyer
03-29-07, 10:01 PM
58K miles for only $3K? What's wrong with it? One of my sons bought a mid-80s Town Car with about 60K miles and had no end of problems due to it sitting for so long. I only drove it from the guys house to my house so I cant say if anything else is wrong but from what I can tell everything works and it drives great. I do know that 5 years ago it was involved in accident (carfax) and that the airbags were deployed. The owner voluntarily told me and also told me that there was no frame damage and insurance paid for it to be fixed. Wife wanted a Hummer, if this car can last her a year two it buys me some time to unload some real estate that is bleeding me right now and get her that damn Hummer. :thumbsup:

Destroyer
03-29-07, 10:02 PM
I'd like to see this '08 DeVille ;)

And I love those MarkVIII Lincolns. Very nice.
typo, it was a 98!:alchi:

Destroyer
03-29-07, 10:04 PM
Nothing is wrong with it. Those cars hold their value for $hit. But as for Destroyer I have experience with them. What are you looking to do? BTW what year Mark VIII is it? If your interested I have a shop manual for a 1995
Its a '95, let me know how much for the manual.
:thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
03-29-07, 10:14 PM
The Mark 8 is the coolest thing Lincoln has produced since the mid 70's.And that dark green? Mmmm mmm sexy.I dont care for Lincolns,but those Mark 8's are wicked sweet.Congratulations.

Blackout
03-29-07, 10:31 PM
Its a '95, let me know how much for the manual.
:thumbsup:I'm guessing it's a non LSC? But if your interested in the manual shoot me a PM with a price and your address and I can have it shipped out to you. BTW I also have the tranny pan update which I will throw in for with the shop manual for a discounted price (I just want to start getting rid of my Mark VIII stuff), it comes with everything you need to do the swap. BTW if your air bag's start acting up then I would say to check out Suspension Alternative's and do the coil over conversion. $500 for all four wheels and with the 1.5" lowering kit. Here's some pic's

Shop Manual
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5086/picture001gh9.jpg

Tranny pan update kit
Filter & cardboard under it is the gasket
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7113/picture002nj9.jpg

Updated Pan
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/9263/picture003pn1.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5707/picture004hv5.jpg

My old Mark VIII after the coil over conversion with 1.5" drop

Before (air ride sensor broke and blew the airbag's up and blew them out)
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/2016/20050209image0002fe6.jpg

After
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/9990/20050209image0004kf7.jpg

Blackout
03-29-07, 10:32 PM
BTW sorry for the size of the pics :(

illumina
03-29-07, 10:38 PM

Damn you!

Jesda
03-29-07, 10:48 PM
Host your pics at q45.org/gallery. A smaller version is automatically created.

Benzilla
03-30-07, 12:02 AM
That would look perfect with some newer Lincoln rims and really narrow whitewalls.

I always loved the Mark VIII's but hated how they look on factory rolling stock.

Destroyer
03-30-07, 12:10 AM
I'm guessing it's a non LSC? But if your interested in the manual shoot me a PM with a price and your address and I can have it shipped out to you. BTW I also have the tranny pan update which I will throw in for with the shop manual for a discounted price (I just want to start getting rid of my Mark VIII stuff), it comes with everything you need to do the swap. BTW if your air bag's start acting up then I would say to check out Suspension Alternative's and do the coil over conversion. $500 for all four wheels and with the 1.5" lowering kit. Here's some pic's

Hey Blackout, I'm not sure what a tranny pan update is, can you clarify?. I'll PM you in the morning about the manual and the tranny update. Thanks for the tip on the suspension. It works but it seems a bit loud and I dont know if the suspension pump should be that loud. I did the coil over suspension kit on my wifes Deville with good results and I'll definately do it to this one when the time comes. I took this car out a bit tonight and I have to say its got some power. I wonder how my Fleetwood would do against it. I'll have to race the wife. These cars are way too cheap for what they are. 94-98Mustangs cost more than this and they would not be able to keep up. If this car proves to be reliable, I'm buying one for myself as well.

slk230mb
03-30-07, 12:18 AM

I removed the tags. You don't have to put them on every pic...you can just link to them.

Destroyer
03-30-07, 12:37 AM
The Mark 8 is the coolest thing Lincoln has produced since the mid 70's.And that dark green? Mmmm mmm sexy.I dont care for Lincolns,but those Mark 8's are wicked sweet.Congratulations.Thanks man. The green color is the only thing the wife and I dont like but it aint that bad I guess. I haven't seen one in this color before, I thought it was a teal color judging by the pics I saw on Craigslist but its definately a dark green. Like your Caddy, I'd bet not too many were ordered in this color which makes it kinda rare I suppose.

Destroyer
03-30-07, 12:43 AM
Nothing is wrong with it. Those cars hold their value for $hit. But as for Destroyer I have experience with them. What are you looking to do? BTW what year Mark VIII is it? If your interested I have a shop manual for a 1995
Since you owned one I figure you are the man to ask. It seems Mustang wheels have a different bolt pattern, does anyone have spacers to make Mustang wheels fit?. Also, what is a good hipo exhaust to go with?. I noticed its got resonators and I'd like to eliminate them and the cats and put some Flowmasters or Magnaflows on. No emissions in FL so its not a prob.

Blackout
03-30-07, 08:13 AM
Since you owned one I figure you are the man to ask. It seems Mustang wheels have a different bolt pattern, does anyone have spacers to make Mustang wheels fit?. Also, what is a good hipo exhaust to go with?. I noticed its got resonators and I'd like to eliminate them and the cats and put some Flowmasters or Magnaflows on. No emissions in FL so its not a prob.Unfortunately with the Mark VIII there are the catalytic convertor's ad resonator's to deal with. I took the resonator off of mine and threw on some mufflers and the car didn't really have to much sound to it (it sounded more like a V6 than a V8). If you can find a decent exhaust shop then they should be able to fab you a decent exhaust but you should ask them if they can take off 2 of the cat's or replace them with hi-flow cat's. And if you need performance parts then I'd say to check out http://www.lincolnmotorsport.com/ because they have plenty of stuff for ya there. I don't really know about the wheels so i'm not going to bother to act like i do know about them. All I know is that on the website I gave you they have Cobra R rim's that are the correct bolt pattern for the Mark VIII and they look hot with them!

Blackout
03-30-07, 08:23 AM
Hey Blackout, I'm not sure what a tranny pan update is, can you clarify?.The tranny pan update is basically just a tranny pan from a 2nd gen Mark VIII. I don't know if you noticed it yet or not but with the 1st gen Mark VIII's the tranny pan wasn't deep enough. So when your making a right turn and you hit the gas the car won't go right away because all the tranny fluid goes to one side of the tranny pan and it can't suck any of the fluid out. So as soon as you straighten the car out and it can get some fluid again then the car will go. What this update does is if you look at the pictures there a divot in it and that's where it sucks in the tranny fluid. So they made it deeper there so even during hard turning it won't hesitate because it will still be able to get the fluid. I never got a chance to install it on mine but from my day's on the "other forum" it sounds like it's a good mod to do.

I'll PM you in the morning about the manual and the tranny update. Thanks for the tip on the suspension. It works but it seems a bit loud and I dont know if the suspension pump should be that loud. I did the coil over suspension kit on my wifes Deville with good results and I'll definately do it to this one when the time comes. I took this car out a bit tonight and I have to say its got some power.To be honest with you my air ride suspension literally worked for all of 3-4 days before it crapped out on me so I really don't have an idea as to how loud the pump is or how loud it's supposed to be. BTW I dunno if you know this already or not but to get the best possible performance out of the car there's a secret to getting all you can out of it.

1. Turn the traction control off
2. Turn O/D off
3. Put it into first gear and manually row the gears instead of leaving it in "D"

I brought my car to the track and without doing the tranny pan update, having a bad MLPS sensor, and a slipping tranny I still managed to run a 14.921 @ 96.75 mph in stock trim. Some guys have gotten as low as 14.5-.6 in stock trim.

I wonder how my Fleetwood would do against it. I'll have to race the wife. These cars are way too cheap for what they are. 94-98Mustangs cost more than this and they would not be able to keep up. If this car proves to be reliable, I'm buying one for myself as well.That's one of the many advantages to the car. Nobody really knows about them until you blow their doors off. With the Mark VIII it does come with it's draw backs though as well. If you have a non-LSC then the headlights blow. If you want to upgrade to the LSC's HID's then your looking at around a grand to do so. The rear window molding has a tendency to bubble up. But if you don't like how it looks then you can't just buy the molding, you have to buy a whole new rear window just to be able to get the molding and that will run you another grand

xxpinballxx
03-30-07, 08:31 AM
I loved the mark VIII's and the styling. I only complain when i sit in them.....
I am a bit too big for them but the car overall is real nice and for 3k....fugetaboutit!

Destroyer
03-30-07, 10:26 AM
I loved the mark VIII's and the styling. I only complain when i sit in them.....
I am a bit too big for them but the car overall is real nice and for 3k....fugetaboutit!

I'm 6'2 and 205lbs and I fit comfortably into it. I wish it had telescopic steering though cause I put the seat pretty far back. It feels a hell of a lot nicer than the '98 Deville it replaced. :thumbsup:

Blackout
03-30-07, 11:08 AM
I'm 6'2 and 205lbs and I fit comfortably into it. I wish it had telescopic steering though cause I put the seat pretty far back. It feels a hell of a lot nicer than the '98 Deville it replaced. :thumbsup:I fit nice and snug into mine with me being only 5'10"

Destroyer
03-31-07, 12:13 AM
The '93-'96 Mark VIII is one of my favorite Lincolns of all time, I love them. Fun to drive, FAST, muscular, great handling, sexy. The Intech 4.6 is far superior IMO than the Northstar, much more reliable and moddable. The only real concern on those is the air springs, but that's nothing compared to some of the stuff on the comparable Caddies.Well then quit with this Honda Accord stuff and buy one of these already!. Seriously, I owned a '98 Accord EX V6 (well, it was the wifes) and I would take a Mark VIII over it any day. I still like my Fleetwood better though.........weird.:eek:

Destroyer
03-31-07, 12:32 AM
The tranny pan update is basically just a tranny pan from a 2nd gen Mark VIII. I don't know if you noticed it yet or not but with the 1st gen Mark VIII's the tranny pan wasn't deep enough. So when your making a right turn and you hit the gas the car won't go right away because all the tranny fluid goes to one side of the tranny pan and it can't suck any of the fluid out. So as soon as you straighten the car out and it can get some fluid again then the car will go. What this update does is if you look at the pictures there a divot in it and that's where it sucks in the tranny fluid. So they made it deeper there so even during hard turning it won't hesitate because it will still be able to get the fluid. I never got a chance to install it on mine but from my day's on the "other forum" it sounds like it's a good mod to do.

To be honest with you my air ride suspension literally worked for all of 3-4 days before it crapped out on me so I really don't have an idea as to how loud the pump is or how loud it's supposed to be. BTW I dunno if you know this already or not but to get the best possible performance out of the car there's a secret to getting all you can out of it.

1. Turn the traction control off
2. Turn O/D off
3. Put it into first gear and manually row the gears instead of leaving it in "D"

I brought my car to the track and without doing the tranny pan update, having a bad MLPS sensor, and a slipping tranny I still managed to run a 14.921 @ 96.75 mph in stock trim. Some guys have gotten as low as 14.5-.6 in stock trim.

That's one of the many advantages to the car. Nobody really knows about them until you blow their doors off. With the Mark VIII it does come with it's draw backs though as well. If you have a non-LSC then the headlights blow. If you want to upgrade to the LSC's HID's then your looking at around a grand to do so. The rear window molding has a tendency to bubble up. But if you don't like how it looks then you can't just buy the molding, you have to buy a whole new rear window just to be able to get the molding and that will run you another grand
You are turning out to be quite the advisary in regards to the Mark VIII's. I'm already looking to do up the exhaust and do some mods my buddy did to his '04 Mach 1. Any suggestions as far as exhaust?. I'm thinking of eliminating the cats, do away with the resonators and install 2 1/2" pipes with Flowmasters or Magnaflows. Think that will cause any problems with the computer?. Also, before I bought this car I was thinking that the wheels would be interchangeable between this car and a newer Mustang. Not so, different bolt pattern. Know of anyone that sells spacers to make Mustang wheels fit?. Thanks for all the help man. :thumbsup:

Cadillacboy
03-31-07, 01:36 PM
I'm not keen on late Mark Series .Mark III-IV-V are very outstanding cars

Blackout
03-31-07, 01:37 PM
Any suggestions as far as exhaust?. I'm thinking of eliminating the cats, do away with the resonators and install 2 1/2" pipes with Flowmasters or Magnaflows. Think that will cause any problems with the computer?The only exhaust system that I've seen done on the Mark VIII was from Geno over at lincolnmotorsport.com his setup cost's a grand but the guy's who have had it done love it. I went to Meineke to get my exhaust done since they are so cheap over there but they claimed they couldn't do a true dual exhaust setup because of clearance issues towards the back of the car. I printed out a picture from the underside of one of the exhaust systems Geno had done and all the guy kept on saying was, "Wow, that's a work of art. I can't do anything like that here." So either he didn't want to be bothered to do the exhaust or they just suck at Meineke. I would say if you have a decent exhaust shop by your house I would say to see what they can do. Because I believe on Geno's setup he was running 2.5" piping all the way back. If you get rid of all the cat's then most likely you will have a message pop up on the message screen. I think there's a way to get it to not show up anymore but I'm not 100% sure on that.

. Also, before I bought this car I was thinking that the wheels would be interchangeable between this car and a newer Mustang. Not so, different bolt pattern. Know of anyone that sells spacers to make Mustang wheels fit?. Thanks for all the help man. :thumbsup:Unfortunately that was what I was thinking as well but alas it wasn't. I don't know of anyone off the top of my head who makes spacers. I would say to check out some Mark VIII forums and ask around there. I'm sure those guys have a much more vast knowledge of this stuff then I do

77CDV
03-31-07, 02:55 PM
Detroyer,

Congrats on your (wife's) new ride. She looks a treat, and the polo green accentuates the car's aero lines nicely. The only thing I never cared for with the Mark VIII (and most Lincolns, really) is the interior, particularly the dash on this model. Too plastic fantastic for my taste, but that's just me. Enjoy your new toy!

Craig

caddycruiser
03-31-07, 08:50 PM
Yes! I love those cars, rarely see them, and have never been able to drive one yet. Some typical minor issues, but a strong owner following and knowledge about fixing and/or modifying things like doing the coil swap.

Great cars, and like some things, they go unnoticed and have very low resale values anymore--so all the better for people like you now.

olddavid
04-01-07, 07:10 PM
Be sure to change the trans fluid and upgrade the shifter body. My 94 went 175+ with the subsequent owners. I got 72k no problem miles out of it, but I am also anal about maintenance. The airbags went TU at 55k and I replaced them with Bilsteins, and eliminated the problem. The highest compliment I can pay a used car is that I would buy one again. Fast, fun, reasonably economical and easy on the eyes. Like our new Eldorado, yes?

Destroyer
04-01-07, 11:42 PM
Detroyer,

Congrats on your (wife's) new ride. She looks a treat, and the polo green accentuates the car's aero lines nicely. The only thing I never cared for with the Mark VIII (and most Lincolns, really) is the interior, particularly the dash on this model. Too plastic fantastic for my taste, but that's just me. Enjoy your new toy!

CraigTake a look around man, ALL cars from this era spanning till today are very plasticky and the '98 Deville it replaced was no exception. Its actually a pretty slick car on the inside compared to the Deville. It's no Mercedes but it is a rattle free solid driving car.

Destroyer
04-01-07, 11:45 PM
Be sure to change the trans fluid and upgrade the shifter body. My 94 went 175+ with the subsequent owners. I got 72k no problem miles out of it, but I am also anal about maintenance. The airbags went TU at 55k and I replaced them with Bilsteins, and eliminated the problem. The highest compliment I can pay a used car is that I would buy one again. Fast, fun, reasonably economical and easy on the eyes. Like our new Eldorado, yes?
Bilsteins?. I found a few conversion kits (cheap) to eliminate the air ride but they consist of front struts and rear coil spings. Where can I get the Bilsteins?. I want to eliminate the air ride now vs later. Thanks.

Destroyer
04-02-07, 08:41 AM
Uh Oh.

Watch out, in a few months you'll be crossing party lines :bigroll:

I already have crossed party lines: **NWS on this link*** http://youtube.com/watch?v=L-pCOQf_cUY&mode=related&search= :eek:

Blackout
04-02-07, 09:14 AM
I already have already crossed party lines: **NWS on this link*** http://youtube.com/watch?v=L-pCOQf_cUY&mode=related&search= :eek:That's an oldie but a goodie. That's from Geno and his guys over at LMS. I went to his shop for a meet and he has a nice place. All of those pictures of the cars at the strip were from over at Atco Raceway. Geno's shop is like 10-15 min down the road from there. BTW that TASCA Mark VIII is owned by him and another guy. Ford was selling it on e-bay and they bought it for $20k. It's one of two that were made but the other got destroyed by Ford so his is the only one in exsistance. It is super nice up close but I'm no a fan of the blue interior. The whole engine bay is chromed out and looks super sweet.

Jonas McFeely
04-02-07, 05:33 PM
Im nominating that as the single most offensive video a Cadillac enthusiest can ever see.Wow,such hatred. :(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-02-07, 05:49 PM
Im nominating that as the single most offensive video a Cadillac enthusiest can ever see.Wow,such hatred. :(

LMAO! Yeah, I think I'll write the mods on YouTube and get them to take that video down because I, as a Cadillac owner, am greatly offended! ;)

Jonas McFeely
04-02-07, 06:02 PM
LMAO! Yeah, I think I'll write the mods on YouTube and get them to take that video down because I, as a Cadillac owner, am greatly offended! ;)

I'll back you up.