: Northstar hesitation

Raz
03-25-04, 07:13 PM
I own a 2000 STS and am getting a pause when WOT. I keep getting a PCM P1106 code. What does this code mean and will it cause the problem i am having?

BeelzeBob
03-26-04, 10:43 AM
I own a 2000 STS and am getting a pause when WOT. I keep getting a PCM P1106 code. What does this code mean and will it cause the problem i am having?

The code is for the MAP sensor and indicates "intermittant MAP high"...could definitely cause the hitch you feel in the acceleration. Likely repair is replace the MAP sensor. I believe if you take the silver top cover off of the engine the MAP sensor is directly on top of the intake manifold by the throttle body. It is a small sensor plugged into the intake manifold with a wiring connector/harness plugged into it.

Raz
03-26-04, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. I went to the dealer and they changed the map sensor at my request. They pulled the codes but none were found. The car is still under warranty. Bottom line it runs fine even at WOT. I also cleaned the throttle body with gm cleaner.

caddydaddy
03-26-04, 10:25 PM
I had the MAP sensor replaced twice on my 2000 STS by 45,000 miles. Are they something that fail a lot on the Northstars?

BeelzeBob
03-27-04, 12:07 AM
I had the MAP sensor replaced twice on my 2000 STS by 45,000 miles. Are they something that fail a lot on the Northstars?

No, not really. MAP sensor technology has been around for a number of years and they are pretty robust....not sure why you would have a recurrent problem unless there is/was a seal problem at the connector to the MAP sensor allowing some moisture to get in or something....anytime a sensor fails more than once like that I automatically start checking the wiring and connections. I am not aware of any MAP sensor issues on the Northstar on any of the models...

Raz
03-27-04, 04:01 PM
BBOB i noticed on the old sensor you could move it side to side (swivel it). The new sensor doesn't move. I don't know what type of seal they use but it is possible that is what is wearing out. On the 2000 STS the sensor is not under the cover on the plastic intake, but on the top of the throttle body where it connects to the intake manifold.

BeelzeBob
03-27-04, 09:53 PM
BBOB i noticed on the old sensor you could move it side to side (swivel it). The new sensor doesn't move. I don't know what type of seal they use but it is possible that is what is wearing out. On the 2000 STS the sensor is not under the cover on the plastic intake, but on the top of the throttle body where it connects to the intake manifold.

hmmm....anything is possible I suppose, but I don't think there is any issues with the seal on the MAP sensor. There isn't any motion or anything to make the seal wear per se so if it leaked it should leak from the beginning.... I'll ask around and see if anyone has heard of any problems like that.