: Ford recall

FrankT
03-24-07, 09:42 AM
http://www.break.com/index/ford_recalls_trucks.html <<<Watch Ford video.
The F-Seires Diesel is a flame thrower.

I can't believe this statement:
"It's really something that we noticed early on and we're moving swiftly to fix the problem," Jarvis said.

So, why didn't they fix it early ON??

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703210450

gary88
03-24-07, 11:36 AM
Ford should have really put more thought into these new trucks. My dad was going to buy one until he talked to a Ford rep about one. To remove a turbo in the new twin turbo setup, the entire body needs to be lifted. Apparently Ford didn't re-design layout to better accomodate twin turbos. This wouldn't be such a problem if my dad's F250 didn't go through 2 replacement turbos, and his F550 thgough 3.

dkozloski
03-24-07, 08:05 PM
Ford should have really put more thought into these new trucks. My dad was going to buy one until he talked to a Ford rep about one. To remove a turbo in the new twin turbo setup, the entire body needs to be lifted. Apparently Ford didn't re-design layout to better accomodate twin turbos. This wouldn't be such a problem if my dad's F250 didn't go through 2 replacement turbos, and his F550 thgough 3.
In 1954 Mercuries you had to jack up one wheel and turn the steering all the way to the stops before you could get the oil filter out of it. FoMoCo never learned.

Jesda
03-24-07, 10:03 PM
Water on a grease fire!

LS1Mike
03-24-07, 10:06 PM
It is sad to see. The 7.3 was a good motor and I don't do Ford, the 6.0 was rushed into production to meet emission. I was hopping for their sake they had a hit with this truck.

Boombotz
03-26-07, 11:07 PM
http://www.break.com/index/ford_recalls_trucks.html

Sinister Angel
03-26-07, 11:22 PM
Hehe, there was another post regarding the actual recall, but that vid is great!

danbuc
03-27-07, 12:19 AM
THAT IS EXTREME......LY BAD ASS!!!

I wish my STS could do that....well, not all the time that is. Next muscle car I get..I'm gonna install that spark plug in the tail pipe kit...and tune it extra rich. :highfive:

codewize
03-27-07, 11:52 PM
How? With all the emissions crap on cars how can that happen. Let alone the fact that you have to wonder what engineer will get blamed for overlooking the cause of that.

LS1Mike
03-28-07, 12:34 AM
Quality is job 1.

Elvis
03-28-07, 10:28 AM
It's the SuperDuty model with the 6.4L diesel. I don't think they have to meet the same emission standards all the other vehicles do.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Mar/22/br/br9256308417.html

codewize
03-28-07, 01:08 PM
Ohhhh OK

It's the SuperDuty model with the 6.4L diesel. I don't think they have to meet the same emission standards all the other vehicles do.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Mar/22/br/br9256308417.html

Rolex
03-29-07, 09:42 AM
I hope Boombotz and FrankT don't mind that I merged the two threads. The video speaks for itself. :eek:

Vesicant
03-29-07, 09:48 AM
Thing is, the new dodge and chevrolet/gmc diesel trucks could possibly do it as well since they have a particulate system that operates the same way.

Guess they just have better programmers :stirpot:

Boombotz
03-29-07, 09:50 AM
I hope Boombotz and FrankT don't mind that I merged the two threads. The video speaks for itself. :eek:
No problem. I didn't see the other thread.

EcSTSatic
03-29-07, 10:30 AM
Today in 1971 the Ford Pinto was recalled for fuel system problems.

" Summary:
IN THE EVENT THE VEHICLE IS STRUCK FROM THE REAR, THE FUEL FILLER PIPE COULD DISCONNECT FROM THE TANK OR THE TANK COULD BE PUNCTURED IN THE FORWARD FACE. THIS WOULD RESULT IN FUEL LEAKAGE."

Anyone remember the scene in Top Secret? :histeric:

FrankT
03-29-07, 10:18 PM

No problem, I found the video a little later, I was going to add it, but, boombotz beat me to it.

I know quit a bit about the new emission standard for the diesel. Briefly, in 2007 the EPA mandated a 90% reduction in hydro carbons (HC) emissions for the all diesels. In order to achieve this reduction in HC the one of the things that manufactures did was add a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The DPF collects HC (solid particulates), which is all the black smoke you used to see out the tail pipe of most diesel engines. Now, from time to time to clean the DPF of all the accumulated soot, the engine has to go into a regeneration mode to incinerate the soot so the filter can start collecting and storing the soot again. One of many things that make this happen is an addition of fuel. The regeneration process is monitored and controlled by feedback from the exhaust gas temperature sensors (EGTs). During this regen time period the exhaust gas can reach temperatures in excess of 650C.

From my understanding what’s happing with the Ford Diesels is that leaking fuel injectors are over fueling and saturating the filer. The additional fuel is causing an uncontrolled regeneration to take place, thus the flamethrower.

Fords should have done their homework and dug a little deeper into their development and validation for the DPF diagnostics. The addition of DPF protection calibrations, like some kind of combustion diagnostic that would detect over-fueling conditions could have stopped this from happening. Once an over fueling condition is detected some kind of remedial action can be taken, like reduced engine power or engine shut down.

Just some thoughts.

Boombotz
03-29-07, 11:22 PM
FrankT,
I will move it to your first post in this thread.