: E85 in the Northstar?

Benjamin Simon
03-29-07, 06:17 AM
E85 in the Northstar?
I ran E85 in my 99 STS for 3 tanks back during the 2005 hurricanes. I donít think I would really consider it now with my 05 STS still under warranty, but has anyone tried? I really like the idea of E85, even at $5 a gallon.

Onalaska
03-29-07, 07:01 AM
E85 should be much less expensive per gallon than regular gasoline, not more. Your fuel economy will be less, but with the reduced price your actual cost of operation may be almost the same. However the horsepower output actually goes up from what I have heard. I have no idea about it's effect on the N*, but GM is making a number of vehicles certified for E85. It can damage rubber and some other plastic components used in a lot of fuel systems that were not designed for it. I have a 06 Silverado with an E85 5.3L engine although not all of those vehicles were certified for E85. I actually had to look around to find one that was.

bigdog9586
03-29-07, 03:22 PM
I sure would hate to be the owner of your 99 after the E85 eats up all the gaskets/rubber. Also requires a stainless steel tank to keep from ruining that also. Not a very smart move. E85 is only 15% gas.:thepan:
======================

E85 in the Northstar?
I ran E85 in my 99 STS for 3 tanks back during the 2005 hurricanes. I donít think I would really consider it now with my 05 STS still under warranty, but has anyone tried? I really like the idea of E85, even at $5 a gallon.

RunningOnEMT
03-29-07, 03:33 PM
incorrect sir... no SST tank required... ran it in a summit racing PLASTIC fuel cell in a project vehicle in college 100's of tanks

Benjamin Simon
03-29-07, 07:10 PM
Well, that was 30K miles ago. I guess I just got real lucky...

Jesda
03-29-07, 11:47 PM
Its the hoses and injectors that are most at risk if they aren't designed to handle it.

Benjamin Simon
04-03-07, 06:07 PM
What happens to the injectors? Do they get dirty?

bigdog9586
04-03-07, 06:47 PM
I guess I should have said those too, but told by GM enginneer at a showing of E85 trucks a couple years ago that a standard tank would not last, that it would have to be made out of stainless. Fuel cells on the whole cost a whole lot more than a stainless tank made by the auto industry as all they would have to do is substitute stainless for regular steel.
================

incorrect sir... no SST tank required... ran it in a summit racing PLASTIC fuel cell in a project vehicle in college 100's of tanks

Jesda
04-03-07, 07:52 PM
What happens to the injectors? Do they get dirty?

The material that protects the injector coils will get eaten away, resulting in an eventual dead injector.

ewill3rd
04-03-07, 08:10 PM
I am not sure how many times this has come up, for the love of Mike, do not put E85 in a car that was not designed to run E85.
The computer will not know what to do, the car won't run right, your fuel mileage will go down, and physical damage to fuel system components will result.

Don't believe me if you want, go to websites like www.e85fuel.com and review the data there.
You are not saving anything regarless of how much misinformation you read on the web. Don't do it, don't do it, and oh .... by the way... DON'T DO IT!

Did I mention not to do it?