: UAW vows to shut down Delphi (which would strangle GM)

Jesda
03-29-07, 03:09 AM
DETROIT (Reuters) -- United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger said Tuesday the union was through negotiating with bankrupt auto parts maker Delphi Corp. and would strike if the company voids its labor contract.

"If they void the contract, we are going to shut them down," Gettelfinger told reporters on the sidelines of the Special Convention of Collective Bargaining in Detroit.

Gettelfinger said he could not remember the last time he had talked with Delphi. He said the union had given the company whatever it could.

"We are very disappointed in the actions of the corporation," Gettelfinger said. "They wore us down. Time is up on that one."

"The ball is in their court," he said. "There are no talks right now."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/27/news/companies/uaw_strike.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

What does this mean? Delphi, GM's biggest supplier, would shut down, which would result in GM slowing or halting production right in the middle of a huge turnaround. This, then, would be a powerful way for the UAW to warn (ie BLACKMAIL) General Motors when it comes time for contract negotiations.

I hope Gettelfinger dies in a fire. There's a lot of jobless, eager, and skilled people in Indiana and Michigan who would LOVE to replace the overcompensated, antiquated UAW.

I've gotten a few mild threats and some harassment from UAW members in response to my posts on GM Inside News. They can all die in a fire too.

Sinister Angel
03-29-07, 08:32 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/27/news/companies/uaw_strike.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

What does this mean? Delphi, GM's biggest supplier, would shut down, which would result in GM slowing or halting production right in the middle of a huge turnaround. This, then, would be a powerful way for the UAW to warn (ie BLACKMAIL) General Motors when it comes time for contract negotiations.

I hope Gettelfinger dies in a fire. There's a lot of jobless, eager, and skilled people in Indiana and Michigan who would LOVE to replace the overcompensated, antiquated UAW.

I've gotten a few mild threats and some harassment from UAW members in response to my posts on GM Inside News. They can all die in a fire too.

Jesda, these people are like ****ing rabid animals, the only way to deal with them is kill them off.

I hope delphi has some tricks up it's sleeve to snag some replacement workers.

I just woke up, so that's about all I can think of w/o going back to my shit argued in my article on my website.

Lord Cadillac
03-29-07, 09:54 AM
Can't GM start it's own parts company? As silly as that probably sounds - how silly is it really in a situation like this?

Sinister Angel
03-29-07, 10:58 AM
Can't GM start it's own parts company? As silly as that probably sounds - how silly is it really in a situation like this?

That's the kicker, wasn't Delphi part of GM for a while?

90Brougham350
03-29-07, 12:38 PM
Vertical integration (and especially creation) is very difficult for a company to do when the company isn't in a strong financial position. Think of all the parts that go into a car, and the magnitude of creating a new parts supplier becomes enormous.

dkozloski
03-29-07, 01:02 PM
Delphi was part of GM in one way or another for 100 years. They were spun off ten years ago and have been hovering over the tank ever since. Delphi is in chapter eleven or worse. If they void the contract all bets are off and the rough and tumble starts.

gothicaleigh
03-29-07, 01:21 PM
The UAW at Delphi seems to threaten GM with something like this every year.

Michigan is dying. Clean house by offering every position at even half the UAW wage and they would have people here lining up to get in. Unions have overstayed their welcome.

Caddy Man
03-29-07, 01:24 PM
Michigan is dying. Clean house by offering every position at even half the UAW wage and they would have people here lining up to get in. Unions have overstayed their welcome.

AGREED!

90Brougham350
03-29-07, 04:40 PM
Why in God's name the UAW thinks it has any right to try and muscle GM around is beyond me. Fine, go ahead, and beat GM. Then start looking for a new job.

Wiseguy2
03-29-07, 08:18 PM
I wish someone would shut the &*(%(&^%(ing UAW down. These imbeciles have completely dug their own grave... they can go right to hell.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-07, 09:40 PM
Hasn't the UAW been screwin' GM over since about '70 or so?