: A few more choices for my next car, whaddya think?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-28-07, 11:19 PM
After looking through a ton of cars for my next car, I chose the 97-04 Buick Regal GS. It's got a good looking design all around, great engine, very enticing power, good on gas, subtle, luxurious, gadget laden, etc etc.

Anyways, they're not totally perfect in every way, and I've noticed a few other cars in my price range that are what I'm looking for, but in a destinctly different flavor.....

#1 1998-02 Honda Accord EX-V6 (preferably coupe):
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Honda/100003201/2002.honda.accord.4880-E.jpg

I'm not gonna lie, I've always liked Honda, not as much as Cadillac mind you, but still quite a bit. Anyways, with these Accords, the appeal is the build quality, overall attention to detail in all parts of the car, overall sophistication, the sweet 3.0 SOHC VTEC engine, excellent ride/handling balance, Honda nameplate, race pedigree and history.

But like all other cars, these cars have some problems. With the V6, the tranny is pretty much expected to go out, so I'd have to find a car that's already had that replaced or just plan on it, and the overall quality, while still great, isnt' as good as on the older Hondas. These newer Hondas just don't seem as completely trouble free and utterly reliable as the older ones.

Compared to the GS...

I haven't test driven an Accord, but I've ridden quite a bit in my buddies' '01 EX-V6 Coupe. It rides very smooth, not as smooth as my deVille, but far more composed at speed and in aggressive driving. The seats are comfy, but they lean towards the firm side. From what I've read and heard, the Accords (well basically all Hondas) are very nimble and fun to drive.

The 3.0L won't have the torque of the L67, but its quite quick in it's self, especially at higher speeds. Compared to my 4.9, the 3.0 lacks bottom end power, but has much better mid range and top end. We've raced before and I'll take him off the line, but he'll pass me at about 40 MPH and just keep pullin' away. 0-60 for those cars is in the low-mid 7 second range, 1/4 mile is in the low-mid 15 range. Both are better than the Caddy, but not as quick as the Regal GS.

#2 2000-03 Nissan Maxima GLE
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Nissan/100003010/2002.nissan.maxima.26137-E.jpg

With these Maximas, the appeal is the performance/luxury combo (poor man's 5 Series/STS), build quality, loads of features and creature comforts, sophistication, AWESOME V6 (especially the 3.5L), reliability, and all the engineering brilliance that goes into these cars.

From the owner reviews I've read, these cars tend to be quite reliable, but some of them have problems with ignition coils, but I may be mistaken.

I used to work at a Nissan dealer, and I test drove an '03 GLE once, from what I remember, the motor had torque everywhere in the RPM band, and was VERY quick for a V6. IIRC, it's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are better than the L67 W bodies and L37 STS! Wow! The seats in that '03 were great too, plush and nicely contoured, and it had all the gizmos I love, but I remember the ride being rather rough.

Compared to the GS....
More sharp, better handling, but not as smooth of a ride.

Anyways, I'll be looking and test driving both of these in the near future. Whaddya think? Opinions and advice are welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Chad

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Nissan/100003010/2002.nissan.maxima.26137-E.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2003/Buick/100106582/2003.buick.regal.1395-E.jpg
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2000/Honda/2320/2000.honda.accord.4848-E.jpg

gdwriter
03-28-07, 11:40 PM
As you know, I had a '99 Accord EX coupe with the 4-cylinder engine from 1998 to 2005. I had to sell it during my divorce, but my sister bought it, and it's my 17-year-old niece's car now. I still miss it; After Betty, it was my favorite car. Had I not gotten stuck with my ex-wife's car (which I ended up returning to the bank and buying my Cadillac with cash), I'd still be driving my Accord. I had planned to keep it indefinitely.

I put 75,000 miles on that car and never had any mechanical trouble with it. Nothing. I pretty much followed the Honda maintenance schedule with an independent Honda garage.

It was a very fun car to drive. Pretty neutral cornering for a front-driver, perfectly balanced steering and strong brakes. Honda strikes an excellent balance between handling and ride. I drove it from Phoenix to Oregon in 2 1/2 days, mostly cruising at 75-80 MPH. It's an excellent highway car, and I wish I had taken more road trips in it.

I think any of the three cars you're considering will serve you well. The Regal will probably be the cheapest to maintain, and considering the current Buick demographic, it will probably be easiest to find one that hasn't been abused and has been well maintained. But I think all three are considered reliable cars.

Benzilla
03-29-07, 01:32 AM
Out of those three, I like the Maxima best. My neighbor has one just like that, she bought it new. I really like how they look, but I've never ridden in one. second choice is the Accord. Now don't get me wrong, I'd rater see you driving American, but to me that Buick is ass ugly, sorry.

screw your parents, buy another Cadillac.

Spyder
03-29-07, 01:53 AM
Buick! American made!

I agree with Benzilla though. Cad!

slingblade9
03-29-07, 02:01 AM
American made power!
Don't buy into the import hype.

Get another Caddy.

Jesda
03-29-07, 02:14 AM
Accord: Handling, Resale
Regal: Power, Ride, Comfort, Value
Maxima: Style, Power, Ownership Cost, Value

Lots of upgrades for the Regal's 3800 SC. You can run 13s for not much money.

Benzilla
03-29-07, 02:20 AM
Is there any good looking body kit made for the Regal?

It just seems like the biggest granny ride in history to me, I mean, do you really want to cruise the strip in a 4 door mid-size Buick? At least it's American, but that's all I can see going for it. And if you're looking at Buick's, just go one step up and get a Cadillac.

Or at least a Riviera. Now those are sexy!

Spyder
03-29-07, 02:24 AM
AMERICAN! (This, from the guy that drives a Toyota)...

Jesda
03-29-07, 04:12 AM
One thing is generally true about used cars:
You'll end up buying whatever is the best deal at the time.

ted tcb
03-29-07, 09:03 AM
I've owned 2 Accords in the 98-02 series. One EX-L, the other an SE.
Both solid, but not perfect. The EX-L 4cyl started to develop some piston slap.
Basically, they feel very light and sporty.
I miss my Maxima .... strong in every performance category.
The 3 litre motor is considered one of the best out there. You're right with the comment on coil problems, plus knock sensors .
The Maxima would be my choice ... you can really drive it hard.
The only negative is premium fuel.
I think the 02 and older models were built in Japan, unlike the Accords.

Driving both, the Maxima felt more like a guy's car, where the Accord felt
very light, more of a woman's car ... both are good choices.

Sandy
03-29-07, 09:10 AM
When buying used, I don't think American VS Foreign really comes into play.
Regarding the Jpanese cars, the damn things here allready, they've made their $$$ on it and the profits therof are long back in Japan.

Spyder
03-29-07, 10:15 AM
Eh, true. That DID play into my choice of buying the old '86 4Runner. I always tell everyone at work that I would NEVER buy a foreign car...then I showed up one day in a Toyota. I still catch crap for going against my word but I guess I should have been more clear. A twenty year old car isn't going to profit anyone overseas.

Cadillacboy
03-29-07, 11:55 AM
Buy another American

OffThaHorseCEO
03-29-07, 12:19 PM
most people wont buy something they cant sell later (thats one of my first thoughts, how easily can i flip this?). what if someone is looking for a new car that they know they dont wanna keep forever and they figure "nobody wants to buy imports anymore, ill have a better chance of reselling american" maybe they will buy american to start with. if people keep buying used american, and stop hating on domestics then we will be better off i think.

gothicaleigh
03-29-07, 12:31 PM
I'd be embarassed to drive any of those. You have a choice of bland, bland, and more bland there.

illumina
03-29-07, 12:54 PM
Regal GS. Screw those complaints about them being bland, they're rock solid cars!

CadillacSTS42005
03-29-07, 12:56 PM
dude
dont go import
youll hate yourself later
Buick hands down
(then make it into a GSX hahahah)

Jonas McFeely
03-29-07, 03:47 PM
Having worked at a car auction, ive driven every kind of Accord, Maxima and Buick, both on the lot and on the highway. GET THE MAXIMA. Accords are nice,but slow. Regals are nice,quick and reasonably good looking, but the electrics/electronics arrnt the best.I dont think ive ever seen a Regal GS or LS that didnt have something really messed up inside of it.They usually all ran well though.

The Maxima in my opinion is your best bet. The automatic works well but With the 5-Speed its the quickest and i'd say by far the most reliable.They hold their value pretty well too.

Stick with Cadillac, but if you must stray,go for the Nissan.

90Brougham350
03-29-07, 05:20 PM
Nah, go Buick! Buick is the next-best thing to a Cadillac, and you've wanted a GS for a while now. The Accord is definately feminine. The Maxima, while nice, won't make you as happy down the road. Which car can you see yourself enjoying 2 or 3 years from now as you save for that ETC?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-07, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the responces everyone!

First of all, Cadillacs are totally out of the question, atleast for now. I don't want another land yacht, I want something smaller, sportier. And as much as I'd love a ETC, I don't wanna put up with expensive and complicated repairs. Plus, I wanna try something new, I love Cadillacs, but I don't want every car I ever own to be a Cadillac! There's a lot of great products from other brands and I'd be foolish not to atleast look at 'em!

Secondly, I'm not biased against import cars. I buy what appeals to me, no matter if it comes from the US, Japan, Germany, France or South Africa, etc etc. The whole "buy american and only american" thing, to me anyways, is crap.

I've always had a soft spot for Hondas, probably because my grandpa has been driving Hondas (mainly Accords, but a few Preludes too) since 1982, and I've kinda grown up with Hondas, but nobody in my direct family's ever owned one, atleast not yet, and I've always wanted one, but it'd have to be in the exact color combo I want, with the right options. I'd have a hell of a time saying no to a '02 EX-V6 Coupe in San Marino Red (one of my favorite shades of red ever...bright red) with the tan leather interior and all the options.

The Maxima...as nice of a car as they are, my dad doesn't like em for some odd reason, and I don't really feel like making a big deal of this, for a car I don't really love. It's nice, but not that much better IMO than the Accord EX-V6 or Regal GS.

Also, I asked about a WRX, because the '02's are getting into my price/mileage range now too, and my dad said no. Too sporty, too much to insure, etc etc. And I think they're kinda ugly, well until the front end was redone in '04 or '05, plus they don't have any of the luxury features I like.

So I guess the next step is to test drive an Accord EX-V6 and decide whether I'd be happier with that or the GS. I'm not terribly fond of my buddies' '01 EX-V6 Coupe, but that may because I don't like the silver/black color combo, and it's always dirty. I'd probably like it a lot more if I got to drive it, it seems like it'd be a blast to drive.

I'm expecting the Regal to be faster in a straight line, more muscular feeling, with better seats, roomier interior, more options and features, softer suspension. I expect the Accord to be a tighter handler, more composed at speed, better steering, overall sportier feeling and with MUCH better build quality and higher quality materials. It'll be interesting to compare the both of them, and in the end, it'll boil down to what's out there when I'm ready to buy. I think there are more EX-V6's out there, but not a lot of coupes with the colors and options I like.

This is what I'd really want in an Accord. EX-V6 Coupe with the San Marino Red exterior and beige leather interior.
http://picture.walser.com/photos/32.1HGCG22562A003609.1.jpg
http://picture.walser.com/photos/32.1HGCG22562A003609.4.jpg

And this is the kind of GS I really like: White/Grey two tone. Although, colors matter a lot less on the GS than they do the Accords.
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/3/22/219/554/1795338849.219554640.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jp g

Destroyer
03-30-07, 01:02 AM
My wife had a '98 Accord EX coupe. She loved it, I didn't. It was reliable and it was purple (blah). I didn't like how it decelarated, weird (I know) but something about that automatic I didn't like. I would not want one but then again I've always been a V8 RWD kinda guy.

Wiseguy2
03-30-07, 01:27 AM
I'd be embarassed to drive any of those. You have a choice of bland, bland, and more bland there.

AMEN!

Dude, you gotta be kidding me... An Accord Coupe, A Regal (OK, I could see a supercharged one) or a Maxima?

Well, the Maxima's OK I suppose....

The Accord is about as exciting as a packet of Mayonnaise and the Regal.. umm... well, you a middle aged insurance salesman?

For about $12k I can think of some cars that would be a LOT more amusing to drive. Want a Honda? Ok.. go get a Prelude SH with a manual trans.

Heck, what about a cheap CTS? Early ones are really getting cheap now....

As long as it has a new cooling system and you get the front suspension checked also look at a late 90s BMW 328is with a 5-speed. That's fun and you can get a nice one for cheap. Quite reliable as well and parts are inexpensive and it's an easy DIY car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-30-07, 11:12 PM
I wish I had more freedom in choosing my next car, but my parents and I (namely them) have made a bunch of logical guidelines to go by when choosing my next car.

And I must remember, that this is only temporary, I don't need to have my #1 dream car right now, I'm only 20, I have an entire lifetime to buy all the cars I'd ever want. I just need something that I'll like, that'll be cheap to own for the next 3-5 years, so I can get my career movin, and move out and then after I get some money saved up again, get back into the luxury cars.

Anyways, here's a good idea of the guidelines the new car must meet..

-Must be reliable and as trouble free as possible. I hate when stuff breaks, plus I gotta pay to have that fixed, on top of the payments!

-Fuel Economy is a big concern also, I'm sick of cars that get 12-15 mpg in the city, I want something that'll get atleast 18-20 in city, because that's where I do 85% of my driving.

-Costs to repair/maintain. I don't want anything that has complicated, expensive maintenance schedeules or many complicated systems to go wrong and cost me loads of money to repair. For example, Electronic climate systems are ok, but electronic struts aren't. Also, with the luxury car brands, parts are expensive to replace. Not good. Everything is more expensive with luxury cars, that's why I like the loaded flagships of the mid range brands...Honda, Buick, Nissan, etc etc. All of the luxury features w/o the luxury costs!

-Nothing too sporty or fast. Cop/thief bait, expensive to insure, sure to get traffic violations. WRX is out, Regal GS is in.

-Simple, durable, proven drivetrains. I asked about a 92-95 SHO, dad said no because it's got that Yamaha V6, parts are expensive as hell and VERY hard to find!

-As new/low mileage as possible. I don't want this new car to have problems now that develop with age or high mileage. I'm shooting for an '01-'03 model year, with 50-70k miles.

So basically, I want a sporty/luxury car, gotta be pretty quick, that won't cost tons to maintain, is reliable, from a mid level manufacturer, cheap to own and insure, nothing that'll grab the eyes of the thieves or cops. The Accord Coupe and Regal GS excel in that area!

96Fleetwood
03-30-07, 11:20 PM
The MAXIMA hands down. My girl used to have a I30 before her QX4 and it was an awesome car. Great power band, good build quality, and the potential to modify it. Not to mention no need for a timing belt (timing chain driven)!

99esteees
03-31-07, 12:14 AM
Hands down the Buick Regal, supercharged of course. Reliable, comfortable, and quick. I have a friend who runs 13's and has the only ram-air hood that I know of on Regals and that thing looks hot.

JRau
03-31-07, 01:10 AM
Chad,

You are thinkin' right on track, man. At your age and stage in life, you have your priorities right. If you're not going to keep the car more than a few years, go with your gut--which one do you like the best?

Good luck with your choice. Hope you show up at the National Meet in your Caddie, though...

JRau

illumina
03-31-07, 01:14 AM
Chad, you already know *cough cough Regal GS cough cough* what you're going to get.

illumina
03-31-07, 01:17 AM
AMEN!

Dude, you gotta be kidding me... An Accord Coupe, A Regal (OK, I could see a supercharged one) or a Maxima?

Well, the Maxima's OK I suppose....

The Accord is about as exciting as a packet of Mayonnaise and the Regal.. umm... well, you a middle aged insurance salesman?

For about $12k I can think of some cars that would be a LOT more amusing to drive. Want a Honda? Ok.. go get a Prelude SH with a manual trans.

Heck, what about a cheap CTS? Early ones are really getting cheap now....

As long as it has a new cooling system and you get the front suspension checked also look at a late 90s BMW 328is with a 5-speed. That's fun and you can get a nice one for cheap. Quite reliable as well and parts are inexpensive and it's an easy DIY car.

The difference between the cars he listed and the cars you suggest happens to be at least a $6000 difference. Think about that.

77CDV
03-31-07, 03:37 PM
Chad,

Given the choice between the Honda and the Buick, I'd have to take the Buick. Well, I'd probably just fix up the Caddy instead of going for a whole new round of monthly payments, and stick with the devil (DeVille?) I know, but sounds like that's not on the menu. The Buick's drivetrain is virtually indestructable and has been around since God was in short pants, so fixes and mods are plentiful and cheap. It's easy on gas and since it has a rep of being one of the most boring cars on the planet, insurance is dirt cheap, too. Fit and finish is maybe not quite as good as the Honda, but as it's a daily driver and exposed to the MN elements, who really gives a hoot? Plus, the Buick at least has something vaguely resembling a personality, where the Honda is, um, it's very, uh, yeah....

Go Buick!!

Craig

PS: If you really want to be anonymous, dig up an Olds Intrigue. Same car, rarely seen, very underrated.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-07, 07:03 PM
Chad,

You are thinkin' right on track, man. At your age and stage in life, you have your priorities right. If you're not going to keep the car more than a few years, go with your gut--which one do you like the best?

Good luck with your choice. Hope you show up at the National Meet in your Caddie, though...

JRau

Well I'm not sure which I like best, and I won't know until I've thoroughly test driven both. And I will have the deVille for the meet, as there is no way I can have enough money for an adequate down payment by 5/19.

Chad, you already know *cough cough Regal GS cough cough* what you're going to get.

In all reality, probably.

Jonas McFeely
03-31-07, 08:23 PM
I have the solution:

Take the $6k and get you a nice set of 22''s($2000).
New paint ($2000)
Louis Vuitton interior($1300)
New stereo system($700)

$ BALLIN $

Benzilla
03-31-07, 08:39 PM
umm, haha?

tell me that was a joke, man.

Jonas McFeely
03-31-07, 08:49 PM
umm, haha?

tell me that was a joke, man.

Actually,yes.

But if i had $6 grand right now,my Brougham would be sitting on 23''s and have an LT1 swap. I wouldnt feel right putting 22's on a FWD Deville.

dkozloski
03-31-07, 09:10 PM
I had an '01 Buick regal GS and the steering drove me nuts. There's some kind of magnetic artificial feel gizmo that gives a slight drag with a breakaway effect. I wouldn't have another one stuck in my ass if I had room for a sawmill.

Destroyer
04-01-07, 03:27 AM
Chad, didn't you say your buddy had a V6 Accord and you weren't impressed with it or am I dilussional?. Dont make me dig up the thread!. :thepan:

Destroyer
04-01-07, 03:28 AM
I had an '01 Buick regal GS and the steering drove me nuts. There's some kind of magnetic artificial feel gizmo that gives a slight drag with a breakaway effect. I wouldn't have another one stuck in my ass if I had room for a sawmill.Sooooo, your '01 Regal was stuck up your ass?. That may have been part of the problem. :eek:

Spyder
04-01-07, 06:23 AM
Dkoz has a big ass...or at least a big ass cavity. That's what IIIIIII got out of that.

:p

Jesda
04-01-07, 10:28 AM
HOW DO YOU SAY NO TO PURPLE?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-07, 10:38 AM
Chad, didn't you say your buddy had a V6 Accord and you weren't impressed with it or am I dilussional?. Dont make me dig up the thread!. :thepan:

Well I wasn't impressed with that particular car because of the silver/black color combo, and the fact the interior is always dirty, and he was in a hit and run and never got the bodywork fixed, until like a month ago, when somebody slid into his car while it was parked at work due to the ice. Insurance paid for that damage, which fixed the prior damage from the hit and run.

Like I said earlier, colors are a deal maker on those Accords, if I found one in the right color combo, with the right options, it would be hard to pass up. But I think the Regals come more loaded, like I don't think you can get heated leather seats on the 98-02 Accords, that wasn't optional til the '03 redesign, and the Accords don't have the trip computer that the Regals do, etc etc.

Wiseguy2
04-01-07, 06:48 PM
The difference between the cars he listed and the cars you suggest happens to be at least a $6000 difference. Think about that.

Ya sure about that?

I just saw a clean 03 CTS with 80kish miles do $10,800 at a dealer auction.. isnt he looking up to $13k or so?

Also, the BMW I mentioned would cost him WELL under $9k. Customer of mine just bought a 98 328is with 110k on it for $7500. Nice car too, needs the usual new cooling system ($389 shipped for a new OEM Radiator, Water Pump, T-Stat, T-Stat housing, hoses, expension tank, radiator mounts, etc..) and new control arms, bushings and tie rods (Again, about $400 shipped for those parts).

Car will be on the road for about $9,000 with the major problem areas already fixed, including labor.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-07, 07:07 PM
Hmmmm... the thought of a full sized truck or SUV is nice too. For trucks, my first choice would be a '96-'99 Silverado/ Sierra 1500 and for a SUV, a two door ('96-'99) Tahoe/Yukon would be prime.

illumina
04-01-07, 09:30 PM
Ya sure about that?

I just saw a clean 03 CTS with 80kish miles do $10,800 at a dealer auction.. isnt he looking up to $13k or so?

Also, the BMW I mentioned would cost him WELL under $9k. Customer of mine just bought a 98 328is with 110k on it for $7500. Nice car too, needs the usual new cooling system ($389 shipped for a new OEM Radiator, Water Pump, T-Stat, T-Stat housing, hoses, expension tank, radiator mounts, etc..) and new control arms, bushings and tie rods (Again, about $400 shipped for those parts).

Car will be on the road for about $9,000 with the major problem areas already fixed, including labor.

$10,800 isn't bad at all; I wish I would have found a CTS for under 11K, around here, the cheapest I've seen them on any given day is ~ $16,xxx.

And all of that work just to have the Bimmer running good again? That raises the "buy another car" flag to me. I think I'll pass on that one...I won't even mention what the parts of say, a Buick Regal costs, all readily available at Autozone.

Chad...Buick...:p

96Fleetwood
04-01-07, 09:45 PM
Auction transactions for 2003 CTS under $13K:

03/21/07DAYTONARegular$9,600110,751BelowWHITE6GA
03/13/07ST LOUISRegular$9,80074,372BelowSILVER6G5
03/20/07BIG HRegular$9,90073,911BelowMAROON6GA
03/08/07CHICAGOLease$10,00087,872BelowRED6G5
03/08/07MISSLease$10,10096,495BelowWHI6GA0
3/20/07DETROITRegular$10,200106,809BelowBLACK6GA
03/27/07OHIORegular$10,250122,090BelowMAROON6GA
03/20/07BISHOP BRegular$10,400116,028BelowBLUE6GA
03/13/07DETROITRegular$10,400111,113BelowBLUE6GA
03/13/07FAAOLease$10,50078,924BelowPEARL6G5
03/01/07DFWRegular$10,600104,982BelowBLACK6GA
03/08/07MISSLease$10,70091,830BelowMRN6GA
03/29/07CHICAGORegular$11,20092,012BelowWHITE6GA
03/21/07VA VEHEXRegular$11,20079,822BelowPEWTER6GA
03/07/07UTAHRegular$11,200100,148BelowBLACK6GA
03/01/07NORTHSTRRegular$11,20074,435BelowBLACK6G5
03/21/07KCLease$11,30082,303BelowSILVER6G5
03/12/07AYCOCKRegular$11,40093,002BelowBURG6GA
03/29/07CHICAGORegular$11,50082,431BelowDKRED6GA
03/22/07DARLNTONRegular$11,50081,305BelowBURG6GA
03/14/07SW FLRegular$11,60091,801BelowWHITE6GA
03/15/07DET METRRegular$11,90075,452BelowBROWN6G5
03/21/07GTR N.O.Regular$11,95063,806BelowSILVER6G5
03/29/07GTR TMPALease$12,00097,930BelowSILVER6GA
03/16/07MANHEIMRegular$12,00075,094BelowWHITE6GA
03/22/07NORTHSTRLease$12,10082,786BelowSILVER6GA
03/27/07BALTWASHRegular$12,20050,099BelowBLACK6GA
03/22/07MANHEIMRegular$12,20062,040BelowBLACK6G6
03/22/07MID AMERRegular$12,20078,041BelowSILVER6GA
03/21/07NASHVILLLease$12,20067,199BelowPEARL6GA
03/09/07MANHEIMLease$12,20076,937BelowWHITE6G5
03/21/07KCLease$12,30089,818BelowBLUE6GA
03/15/07CINCINNARegular$12,40072,814BelowBLACK6GA
03/01/07CHICAGORegular$12,40093,331BelowDKBLUE6GA
03/01/07DET METRRegular$12,40088,246BelowRED6GA
03/01/07NORTHSTRLease$12,40072,532BelowBLUE6GA
03/14/07CADERegular$12,50096,496BelowWHITE6GA
03/08/07CINCINNARegular$12,50088,599BelowWHITE6GA
03/07/07MINNEAPLease$12,50089,385BelowBLACK6GA
03/28/07CEN FLARegular$12,70091,779BelowSILVER6GA
03/28/07DAYTONARegular$12,70075,087BelowWHITE6GA
03/14/07MILWAUKERegular$12,70074,412BelowSILVER6GA
03/14/07MILWAUKELease$12,70051,990BelowBEIGE6GA
03/07/07NASHVILLRegular$12,70076,500BelowRED6GA
03/30/07MANHEIMRegular$12,90064,321BelowSILVER6GA
03/07/07NADERegular$12,90070,821BelowPEWTER6G
03/13/07FAAOLease$13,00041,108BelowBLUE6GA
03/08/07CHICAGORegular$13,00046,116BelowSILVER6G5

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-07, 09:49 PM
I'm gonna go test drive three cars tomorrow: '98 Tahoe LT Two Door, '02 Accord EX-V6 Coupe, '01 Prelude.

No CTS's.

illumina
04-01-07, 09:50 PM
Auction transactions for 2003 CTS under $13K:

03/21/07DAYTONARegular$9,600110,751BelowWHITE6GA
03/13/07ST LOUISRegular$9,80074,372BelowSILVER6G5
03/20/07BIG HRegular$9,90073,911BelowMAROON6GA
03/08/07CHICAGOLease$10,00087,872BelowRED6G5
03/08/07MISSLease$10,10096,495BelowWHI6GA0
3/20/07DETROITRegular$10,200106,809BelowBLACK6GA
03/27/07OHIORegular$10,250122,090BelowMAROON6GA
03/20/07BISHOP BRegular$10,400116,028BelowBLUE6GA
03/13/07DETROITRegular$10,400111,113BelowBLUE6GA
03/13/07FAAOLease$10,50078,924BelowPEARL6G5
03/01/07DFWRegular$10,600104,982BelowBLACK6GA
03/08/07MISSLease$10,70091,830BelowMRN6GA
03/29/07CHICAGORegular$11,20092,012BelowWHITE6GA
03/21/07VA VEHEXRegular$11,20079,822BelowPEWTER6GA
03/07/07UTAHRegular$11,200100,148BelowBLACK6GA
03/01/07NORTHSTRRegular$11,20074,435BelowBLACK6G5
03/21/07KCLease$11,30082,303BelowSILVER6G5
03/12/07AYCOCKRegular$11,40093,002BelowBURG6GA
03/29/07CHICAGORegular$11,50082,431BelowDKRED6GA
03/22/07DARLNTONRegular$11,50081,305BelowBURG6GA
03/14/07SW FLRegular$11,60091,801BelowWHITE6GA
03/15/07DET METRRegular$11,90075,452BelowBROWN6G5
03/21/07GTR N.O.Regular$11,95063,806BelowSILVER6G5
03/29/07GTR TMPALease$12,00097,930BelowSILVER6GA
03/16/07MANHEIMRegular$12,00075,094BelowWHITE6GA
03/22/07NORTHSTRLease$12,10082,786BelowSILVER6GA
03/27/07BALTWASHRegular$12,20050,099BelowBLACK6GA
03/22/07MANHEIMRegular$12,20062,040BelowBLACK6G6
03/22/07MID AMERRegular$12,20078,041BelowSILVER6GA
03/21/07NASHVILLLease$12,20067,199BelowPEARL6GA
03/09/07MANHEIMLease$12,20076,937BelowWHITE6G5
03/21/07KCLease$12,30089,818BelowBLUE6GA
03/15/07CINCINNARegular$12,40072,814BelowBLACK6GA
03/01/07CHICAGORegular$12,40093,331BelowDKBLUE6GA
03/01/07DET METRRegular$12,40088,246BelowRED6GA
03/01/07NORTHSTRLease$12,40072,532BelowBLUE6GA
03/14/07CADERegular$12,50096,496BelowWHITE6GA
03/08/07CINCINNARegular$12,50088,599BelowWHITE6GA
03/07/07MINNEAPLease$12,50089,385BelowBLACK6GA
03/28/07CEN FLARegular$12,70091,779BelowSILVER6GA
03/28/07DAYTONARegular$12,70075,087BelowWHITE6GA
03/14/07MILWAUKERegular$12,70074,412BelowSILVER6GA
03/14/07MILWAUKELease$12,70051,990BelowBEIGE6GA
03/07/07NASHVILLRegular$12,70076,500BelowRED6GA
03/30/07MANHEIMRegular$12,90064,321BelowSILVER6GA
03/07/07NADERegular$12,90070,821BelowPEWTER6G
03/13/07FAAOLease$13,00041,108BelowBLUE6GA
03/08/07CHICAGORegular$13,00046,116BelowSILVER6G5

Sadly, this information would have been useful 1 MONTH AGO!!!!!

:annoyed:

:D

But I still like my Regal.

96Fleetwood
04-01-07, 09:52 PM
Sadly, this information would have been useful 1 MONTH AGO!!!!!

:annoyed:

:D

But I still like my Regal.

All you have to do is ask! My Dad still has his dealer license, he just picked up a 2005 STS V8 for $22K!!! :worship:

illumina
04-01-07, 10:35 PM
All you have to do is ask! My Dad still has his dealer license, he just picked up a 2005 STS V8 for $22K!!! :worship:

Yeah, my friend works for a Hummer dealership where they can get the 4-wheel drive STS for about the same price...Nice perks I must say. But for now, I'm satisfied with the Regal.

My next car looks somewhat like a 2008 CTS...Really, it will be mine! :lildevil:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-02-07, 12:38 AM
My next car looks somewhat like a 2008 CTS...Really, it will be mine! :lildevil:

Totally. I'll have to pick one of those up at some point.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-02-07, 12:13 PM
I had a bit of a revelation last night....

I realized that any of the cars on my list won't really compare with my Cadillac, and since another Cadillac (which is what I really want) is out of the question for now, nothing else will really satisfy me in the way the deVille does, so I guess I can't really justify spending ~ $12,000 on a car I don't particularly want.

I mean when you think about it, almost any car in my price range is a step down from my deVille in features, amenities and ride, and who wants to make a step down? Everyone wants to move up to bigger and better, or atleast stay at the same point! Sure, the GS has a lot of the features that my deVille does, and a hell of a drivetrain, but it's not the same. The GS is basically a glorified family sedan, not a luxury sedan like I'm used to, also, it doesn't have the great design that the Caddys always had, it looks bland, boring, like every other car on the road, not destinctive like the Cadillacs always were.

Out of all the cars listed in this thread, the GS is the one I like most, 2nd being the Maxima, and I suppose 3rd would be the Silverado or two door Tahoe, the Hondas aren't even worth a mention, that's like the total opposite of what I want. I want a big smooth luxury cruiser with loads of v8 torque, not a small, cramped sports coupe with a high revving I-4 or V-6.

gdwriter
04-02-07, 02:41 PM
My next car looks somewhat like a 2008 CTS...Really, it will be mine! :lildevil:I probably won't be able to go from my '91 DeVille to a next-generation CTS, but I'm also thinking I'll have one of those down the road.

Chad, you're being very sensible about the whole thing. It's still a good idea to put money aside for a new car if it turns out you want/need one (say, if Angie starts nickle and diming you again). But there's no point making payments on a car that isn't what you really want if you still like what you have.

gdwriter
04-02-07, 03:42 PM
Hey Chad, did your parents nix the Riviera? Because that would fit most of your criteria. And check out this very nice, low-mileage Riv in Minneapolis:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=220188239&dealer_id=4603335&car_year=1998&model=RIV&num_records=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=25&make=BUICK&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=55403&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=21

illumina
04-02-07, 04:40 PM
Hey Chad, did your parents nix the Riviera? Because that would fit most of your criteria. And check out this very nice, low-mileage Riv in Minneapolis:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=220188239&dealer_id=4603335&car_year=1998&model=RIV&num_records=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=25&make=BUICK&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=55403&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=21

No longer available...Chad must have picked it up :p

96Fleetwood
04-02-07, 06:09 PM
Buy a 1996 Fleetwood with every option for under $9K... you will make up for the money lost in fuel with the low insurance premium.