: Cant Pick!!!! 1996 Impala SS or 2003 Seville STS!?!??!

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-07, 08:59 PM
I can get either one
the 96 Impala is stock 82K, Dark Cherry Metallic very clean
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/3/28/219/656/1818237351.219656610.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jp g

the 03 STS is fully optioned except for nav and Z rated tires, and has a dent on the trunk deck seam which cannot be repaired (itd have to be replaced) Metallic Silver *same as my etc* with black interior 45,500, 16500 but theyll give me 3500 on trade in for my 83 Trans AM, so 13000
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/3/20/219/420/1787314406.219420027.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

i cant decide so im seeking you guys for help, Impala i can mod and have fun with its rwd i can work on it and mod it easily so i can take it to the drags, but its alot alot of stupid fun aka burn outs and such
the Seville is more for keeping me mature, avoid ticket, impress Nickis loaded parents hahah *it means alot to me what they think of it and me by association* alot less miles but that dent will drive me nuts and i can get a new deck for 434 shipped plus paint..

danbuc
03-28-07, 09:10 PM
Hmm...oddly enough...those were my two choices when I was looking arund originally...well not an '03 STS but an STS in general. I went with the STS, but in hindsight, if I had to choose again I'd have gone with the Impala. My driving style and constant need for more and more power was better suited to the Impala. Plus, their just bad ass. Of course the Impala doesn't have all the nice amenities that the STS does, but what it lacks gadget wise...can always be added. Plus, you can't throw a procharger and a set of hooker headers on the STS. Keep that in mind. Good luck with the decision...I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-07, 09:13 PM
thanks danbuc
these are the types of things i need to hear
keep'm up guys i will be buyin on FRIDAY!

LS1Mike
03-28-07, 09:14 PM
Impala SS

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-07, 09:17 PM
why?
stock for stock (and btw with me buyin this car and having payments i wont have much $ for mods off the bat) the Impala is a DOG compared to the STS
and id lose the support of a forum, idk any of the Impala B body forums, and i highly doubt they could be as great as the group here!

Caddy Man
03-28-07, 09:20 PM
That impala is a classic...I have been in love with them since I first saw them. So you could call me biased but I would take an Impala SS in a heartbeat. That car is just too bad ass.

danbuc
03-28-07, 09:27 PM
Almost forgot....one more key point (from a performance point of view) the Impala is RWD. I know your a performance oriented yourself, so it would tend to follow that one would go with the vehicle that is already set to make lots of power and hook well with few modifications.

As for loosing forum support...doubtful. Plenty of us on here are Impala fans...that's for damn sure. Last time I checked I was a member here, but I can't remember any more http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php . There's quite a few Impala forums out there. Just gotta look around. Besides...anyone here with a 1994-96 Fleetwood should be able to help you out as well with any issues.

The STS is quick, but the impala is THAT much of a dog. Granted it's not that fast but a little work here and there will get it moving pretty quick. Assuming the engine is in good working order, a cam, intake, and exhaust work can make the Impala just as fast as the STS. The LT1 is a great motor (except for that damn Opti-spark:annoyed: ) and it responds quite well to mods.

gary88
03-28-07, 09:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fz5g8WNBSYA

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-07, 09:31 PM
wow gary
:jawdrop:
thats bout all i can say

still wont be cheap to me id be happy with a mid 13 second car, and i doubt i could hit that with under 2k in mods. Cat back exhaust will cost me nothing but will prob only put me into the high 14s....

LS1Mike
03-28-07, 09:41 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fz5g8WNBSYA

Holy Poop!

I will say it again. Impala SS. Sell the Trans Am, get a cam, headers and heads. You won't even think about the STS after that.

gothicaleigh
03-28-07, 09:48 PM
Impala SS.

Best of it's line.
Already a classic due to it's cult-like following.
RWD!
Chevy V8. The world's best aftermarket support.
Clean, unmodded, unabused examples are near impossible to find anymore.

danbuc
03-28-07, 09:50 PM
still wont be cheap to me id be happy with a mid 13 second car, and i doubt i could hit that with under 2k in mods. Cat back exhaust will cost me nothing but will prob only put me into the high 14s....

Under 2 grand is possible. Just throw a direct port nitrous kit on it. I can't remember h ow much it was, but the LT4 conversion kit is pretty nice. If I recall
correctly, came with new intake, new cam, and new heads. Similar to some of the Edelbrock, Holly, Brodix, Trick flow,..ect top end kits. Nice setup...I think it was about 2500 for the full kit. ODBII required some more tuning I think but nothing too crazy. I believe the LT4 conversion kit was rated at around 435bhp or so. Not too bad.

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-07, 09:52 PM
any idea where i can get this LT4 kit so i can get some ideas on pricing?
i will not use nos on this car when i can get brute power out of it
nos is expensive in the long run...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-28-07, 09:54 PM
I pick the Super Sport.

Simple, reliable, easy to work on and mod, durable, rare, highly known and respected by everyone, collectible, etc etc. Sure, the STS is faster stock, and has more features, but the SS is much cheaper to own and maintain, plus with a little work and money, you'll have a 4100 lb car that'll run mid 13's! You'll never see that in an STS!

I miss my LT1 Roadmaster so much, I was considering buying *any* LT1 B/D body, but I decided I didn't want somethign that old as a daily driver.

Danbuc mentioned the LT4 conversion kit, I heard about that right after I got my Roadie, IIRC, it's a kit that deals mainly with the valvetrain and when installed, is good for 400-425hp. Apparently, you lose a bit of bottom end in the deal, but the top end grows considerably.

slingblade9
03-28-07, 09:57 PM
I'd rather have the STS, but that's me. The only Impala's I like are the old 50 and 60s models. I think the new ones look like crap. The STS just screams class and power.

Wiseguy2
03-28-07, 09:58 PM
Impala SS. The STS is nice but.. why have 2 Silver FWD Caddys?

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-07, 10:02 PM
sisters taking over the ETC....
she needs a car so it was either she buys a new car or she gets my ETC and i can buy one
i like something new lol i get bored quickly ahahahah

RunningOnEMT
03-28-07, 10:06 PM
i wish i knew how to post stuff on youtube...i'd post a picture of a friend's LT1 SS....bad ****ing ass...novi2000, DFI v5, alchi injection, stroker kit, daily driven at about 750HP

LS1Mike
03-28-07, 10:07 PM

Only because you have to keep buying it. I have run it in all of my LS1 with no problems. You have to understand it, not get greedy and do it right. I never spray over a 100 shot, I keep it dry to eliminate pooling and make sure my tune is correct. I put 130,000 miles on it and I must have went through at leat 100 to 150 15 lbs bottles.

The complete LT4 conversion kit (I believe) is no longer available. They don't make the LT4 intake anymore, however the LT1 intake can be ported and polished. You can get the LT4 hot cam and supporting sofware for about 600 bucks from Summit, you can get a set of fulley assembled LT4 heads for about 1500 bucks from summit.
Other compaines also make similar heads, they do flow better than stock LT1 heads. The intake was awesome too. You can find the intake on ebay from time to time.
That will get you moving.

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 10:09 PM

Not worth it. With the LT1, the best mods are simple bolt-ons, PCM programming, rear gears, and also things like springs & rockers. The LT4 version was naturally higher revving, but also made more of it's power up high, and in reality the head flow was NOT that much better than a stock LT1, so it's typically thought of as something not worth it for the change, especially not in a big heavy boat like these.

That said, and as much as I love the SS, my immediate reaction was STS. It's a design and powertrain you're already familiar with, it's LOT more modern and sophisticated which can be good and bad, but mainly is just a naturally more athletic car, better built, has a higher quality finish, and would likely be a more comfortable step for you. No, it's not as easily made for drag strip romping all the time or as simplistic and easy to fix as an Impala, but it's still one hell of a strong car and much more suited to daily driving AND fun blasts on a whim. And it just has so many more creature comforts and niceties than an Impala, that you might also miss otherwise.

All that's coming from one of the biggest Impala/Roadmaster/Fleetwood fans around...but still, yes, for the money, I'd go mature and go STS.

Drive them both, and maybe you'll see for yourself more clearly. Impala for easier and more prevalent modding options and just general coolness, but STS for great power and refinement in a tighter package and more suited to, what I think, you like more.

This line from Chad is dead on, and mirrors me some days:

I miss my LT1 Roadmaster so much, I was considering buying *any* LT1 B/D body, but I decided I didn't want somethign that old as a daily driver.

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-07, 10:10 PM
everyone should read this
seriously
he got smoked again and again by his wife in a 95 STS....

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0409htp_1996_chevrolet_impala_ss_feature/

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 10:12 PM
everyone should read this
seriously
he got smoked again and again by his wife in a 95 STS....

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0409htp_1996_chevrolet_impala_ss_feature/

Agreed, and though an LT1 B/D-body can be modded to make some FANTASTIC numbers, as stock or at least close to it, a lighter and more powerful STS definitely could run away from it--especially being a higher revver.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-28-07, 10:14 PM
Oh and FWIW, the '96 SS is my favorite Chevy of all time.

slk230mb
03-28-07, 10:17 PM
Impala SS

Jesda
03-28-07, 10:19 PM
Impala SS
Impala SS
Impala SS
Impala SS
Impala SS
Impala SS
Impala SS
Impala SS
Impala SS
Impala SS

LS1Mike
03-28-07, 10:22 PM
IMPALA SS...IMPALA SS
It turns more heads, sounds better, car guys dig 'em, you can't put a 383 stroker in an STS without a torch and it is an...
IMPALA SS

danbuc
03-28-07, 10:24 PM
Summit Racing used to sell the LT1-LT4 conversion kit. Can't find it on their site...but it isn't the easiest to navigate sometimes. Looking through one of my older catalogs right now to see if I can find it.

hmm...it's not in this catalog...but I know they used to have it. Ahh crap...I can't find it. Maybe it was discontinued. You can still buy the LT4 heads, cam, and intake but of course the price goes up. The Edelbrock kits are nice too, but they're not really designed for efi applications. They are some nice efi combo kits out there, but they're significantly more expensive. I still think a cam kit, headers/exhaust work, and maybe new intake is the way to go.

90Brougham350
03-28-07, 10:33 PM
You're young. The Impala SS will be a car you can talk about owning when you're 40. You'll have an absolute blast modding the hell out of it. An STS is a great car, but enjoy the SS, that's what it was made for.

Spyder
03-28-07, 10:51 PM
Here. This will answer your question.

"Impala i can mod and have fun with its rwd i can work on it and mod it easily so i can take it to the drags, but its alot alot of stupid fun aka burn outs and such
the Seville is more for keeping me mature"

Patrick7997
03-28-07, 11:07 PM
Did I just enter some strange, bizarre, parallel opposite universe????

I personally would buy the STS.... it's a no brainer...

The two happiest days in a Cadillac Owners life are the day he buys a Caddy, and the day he buys another Caddy....

The day he sells a Caddy starts a long series of days where he wishes he hadn't sold that car, and dreams of the day he'll buy another one....

Hear me now, and believe me later....

Jon
03-28-07, 11:35 PM
Impala SS hands down. I love those ones.. The 94-96 ones.

mharker
03-28-07, 11:44 PM
Impala SS. The STS is nice but.. why have 2 Silver FWD Caddys?

Exactly my sentiment. Not to mention you can get your money back when you sell the SS. No such luck on the STS.

gdwriter
03-28-07, 11:49 PM
It's a very tough choice, but I think I'd go with the Impala. That one looks cherry (and not just because of the color), and they're getting hard to find in such nice shape. I don't know how long you've had your Eldorado, but I would think the STS wouldn't be that much of a change.

Something else to keep in mind: the Impala SS is likely to be a collector's item in the future. Think of what those Hemi Mopars from the late 60s/early 70s are going for at Barrett-Jackson.

Spyder
03-29-07, 12:08 AM
"Impala i can mod and have fun with its rwd i can work on it and mod it easily so i can take it to the drags" ...
"Impala i can mod and have fun with its rwd i can work on it and mod it easily so i can take it to the drags" ...

Benzilla
03-29-07, 01:41 AM
I love them both, but I hate the Impala's color. Mostly because all the ones I see in hat color are covered in swirls and dirt.

I have to go with the Impala still because I'm thinking about one myself as a replacement for my '90 Brougham as a daily driver. That or a Fleetwood or a Suburban.

but back to you...

RightTurn
03-29-07, 07:12 AM
Did I just enter some strange, bizarre, parallel opposite universe????

I personally would buy the STS.... it's a no brainer...

The two happiest days in a Cadillac Owners life are the day he buys a Caddy, and the day he buys another Caddy....

The day he sells a Caddy starts a long series of days where he wishes he hadn't sold that car, and dreams of the day he'll buy another one....

Hear me now, and believe me later....

:yeah: I'd go with the Caddy. After all...it's the CADILLAC. :lol:

derrty_deville
03-29-07, 10:57 AM
Well, the Impala is a more mature financial decision. Will it not retain value better than an STS?

ejguillot
03-29-07, 11:26 AM
My view (owning a 2000 STS) is this: You already have an 02 DTS and a 97 ETC in the family. I would spring for the Impala SS, seeing as the cost of ownership would be considerably less than the STS (no $600+ struts in the SS!). And the ease and effectiveness of modifications is hard to argue with.

When you need to be mature and impress the girlfriend's parents, drive the DTS. :) The rest of the time, do this :burn: at the drags in the SS!

pimpin88
03-29-07, 11:28 AM
Yep, the Impala will definitely hold its value better than the STS, and I also belong to the impalassforum.com Great place and tons of info. It's like here, but for b/d bodies.

btw

impala ss
impala ss
impala ss
impala ss
impala ss
impala ss
impala ss

IMPALA SS

Cadillacboy
03-29-07, 11:41 AM
It's likw this forum converted to Impala SS Forums than Cadillac Forums lol
So much Impala Fans out there lol
I don't know if '03 STS was a RWD instead would you still insist on Impala that much ?
In my point , Cadillac is a Cadillac .
What may happen in my point
1-Assuming you have a present '98 (your dad's as I recall) I would pick up SS
2-Get the STS and sell your '98 STS
3-None of them ...Why not buy a '94-96 FWB ? I know it's too big but SS too bigger to STS
Good luck whatever you choose :thumbsup:

gothicaleigh
03-29-07, 12:15 PM
None of them ...Why not buy a '94-96 FWB ? I know it's too big but SS too bigger to STS

The Impala SS is a mean Fleetwood Brougham. Same car, but with attitude.
I used to own one, so I may be a bit biased, but the SS is every bit the car of it's Cadillac cousin and then some (yes, even the interior; the Impala embroidery is soooo nice). One of the few cars I previously owned that I regret selling.

CadillacSTS42005
03-29-07, 12:54 PM
actually the 02 DTS was going to be mine the deal fell through and i forgot to remove that from the line so we dont have an 02 DTS....
My thing i wanted a nice decently quick 4 door sedan, and i was looking at DTSs and STSs, my uncle works as the head of parts at a chevy dealer and the other dealer which he has many good friends at just got this 96 Impala in.
He knows i was looking for a 4 door with muscle and let me know about it lol. I was pretty much going to buy this STS but then i herd about this impala and cant make my mind up. Today after class im going to take a look at it and drive it cuz to be honest ive never driven anything close to it ahahah.

99esteees
03-29-07, 01:16 PM
Personally I have a fascination with an STS over any other make/model. For daily driving they are great cars and they are fun and sleek.

Did all the Impala SS cars come with the LT1? I was browsing my local classifieds and saw this:

1994 Chevy
Impala SS
One owner
44,800 original miles
loaded
excellent condition
$8,800 OBO

Figured something had to be up with that.

blunted
03-29-07, 01:21 PM
My 2cents.. considering the way you drive your Eldo, I'd go with the Impala. I think it's more what your looking for in terms of mods and all that good stuff. However, I personally dont like that body style at all.. thats what all the taxi's and old cop cars look like around here. :duck:

CadillacSTS42005
03-29-07, 01:33 PM
ya but the impala package set it apart a little with a different grille, labels etc....
and if i was to get a Impala SS itd have to be a 96, 94 and 95 were collumn shifters and i hate them, floor shifter is where its at and way too much involved to make it a floor shift so 96 is the best year imho

boricuacaddy
03-29-07, 02:12 PM
If I had to make a choice, I too would go with the Impala SS, that is one of my favorite cars. I remember when it first came out, I really wanted one of those and still do. I am a big chevy fan!

David

Spyder
03-29-07, 03:00 PM
Dude...floor shifter installs are SUPER easy. B&M! SUPER EASY, I tell ya! And freaking cool too, if you had a ratchet shifter in there...

ejguillot
03-29-07, 03:21 PM
No DTS? I would still take the SS, for the following reason: If you don't like it, you can sell it and come out fairly close to even, as the depreciation would be much less than the STS. Then you could get an STS with no regrets, knowing that you already tried the other option. After all, you already have an excellent idea of what owning and driving the STS will be like, try the other choice! :)

I still wonder if I should have taken the 2000 Regal GS (Black on black also) that was selling for 8k over the STS... mostly due to the ease of modification.

99esteees
03-29-07, 03:26 PM
ya but the impala package set it apart a little with a different grille, labels etc....
and if i was to get a Impala SS itd have to be a 96, 94 and 95 were collumn shifters and i hate them, floor shifter is where its at and way too much involved to make it a floor shift so 96 is the best year imho

Makes sense. I had one car with a column shift and absolutely hated it. It seems like those who enjoy Cadillacs have the same taste. I have always loved those SS Impalas.

Worse case scenario is you get the SS and aren't happy, you can get close to what you paid for it back out of it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-29-07, 08:50 PM
Jason, why not a Fleetwood Brougham?

CadillacSTS42005
03-29-07, 09:21 PM
Fleet
not a stock posi more work
no floor shift
FWB is the one with all the options and i HATE sim tops

caddycruiser
03-29-07, 10:25 PM
Fleet
not a stock posi more work
no floor shift
FWB is the one with all the options and i HATE sim tops

Agreed, and we have two. The slighty smaller package, "sport" from the factory in looks and suspension, center console and shifter, etc. are BIG points earned for the SS, and why it's still the most popular. And a big reason why I still want one, and/or go back and forth on wanting one more than my Fleetwood at times--at least in stock form, that is.

The Caddy is more luxurious, larger, unique, and can be fitted with those things, but still isn't genuine and stock with them.

XXL-VETE
03-30-07, 12:15 AM
Impala SS !! I donít know what STS youíre thinking about but Iíve never even be close to being beaten by one .. this (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p92c89a149a9463e0cddc20daba7306bf/f62ba890.mpg)is my stock motor on nitrous spanking the sh!t out of a Corvette .. well under $2000 in mods!
More photos and videos here (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/688993/5)

Letís see an STS do this !!

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/621000-621999/621882_71_full.jpg

;)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/621000-621999/621882_20_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/621000-621999/621882_18_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/621000-621999/621882_21_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/621000-621999/621882_23_full.jpg

Read the whole story about my Impalaís here (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/621882)

Kenny

Both lowered ( http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=001395#000000) 17Ē wheels on mine 18Ē wheels on hers
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e153/XXL-VETE/caddysig.jpg
HOME PAGE (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/760486)

Destroyer
03-30-07, 12:30 AM
I say the Impala SS. But this is coming from a guy who just had a Northstar blow a head gasket. I will never buy a FWD Northstar Cadillac again. Could always get an LT1 Brougham and have a nicer car than the Impala and be more unique for less green but thats just me. My Fleetwood Brougham ran neck and neck with my friends 9C1 Caprice (Impala SS) and mine doesn't have an LT1 but its got a mildly modified L98 355. Heh, its even got the Impala SS wheels.

Spyder
03-30-07, 06:05 AM
Destroyer...love those wheels! Looks good!

BCs71
03-30-07, 01:14 PM
That Impala for $12,000 seems pricey to me. You should be able to look around and get one for much less than that; the price on the SS has dropped considerably in the last two years. For a comparable 96 SS with same mileage you should be able to get for $10,000 or less (although 96s go for the most money). In reality the Impala is a pretty common car and won't to Barret-Jackson any time soon. They are a dime a dozen, even considering they ran for only three model years.

The LT4 conversion kit was meant for a Corvette (and very few F-bodies) which are much lighter than the 4200 lb. Impala SS. The LT4 conversion kit is a poor choice for the Impala SS. And if you were willing to replace the heads & intake on the car for this, then I don't see why you are so against a Fleetwood? Addinga posi and floor shifter would be EASY in comparison to tearing the motor apart and taking risks with that... not to mention the cost!

The 1994-6 Fleetwood/Brougham will cost you half as much as a cherry Impala. After you mod the car to make it copmprable in handling you'd still be out less money than just buying an Impy. And the car has the EXACT same engine already...

AND it is still a Caddy!

There are models out there without the vinyl roof.

And a Fleetwood is more unique than an Imapala!!

Lord Cadillac
03-31-07, 01:54 AM
I say the Impala SS. But this is coming from a guy who just had a Northstar blow a head gasket. I will never buy a FWD Northstar Cadillac again. Could always get an LT1 Brougham and have a nicer car than the Impala and be more unique for less green but thats just me. My Fleetwood Brougham ran neck and neck with my friends 9C1 Caprice (Impala SS) and mine doesn't have an LT1 but its got a mildly modified L98 355. Heh, its even got the Impala SS wheels.

Damn.. Nice Brougham...