: Led Sidemarkers on 07' Headlights...?

nofinga911
03-28-07, 01:41 PM
Before I get my headlights cleared out...(07' EXT) I want to know if anyone knows if the Led's beneath the orange sidemarker reflector within the headlight emit amber light or white light?

Playdrv4me
03-28-07, 02:30 PM
they are yellow. they are not white LED's (which actually are almost blue).

nofinga911
03-29-07, 03:04 PM
they are yellow. they are not white LED's (which actually are almost blue).

are you positive? how can you be sure? have u removed the orange reflector in front of them?

jrs05caddyext
03-29-07, 03:39 PM
I was told by a shop that they are amber under the reflector

Playdrv4me
03-29-07, 07:39 PM
are you positive? how can you be sure? have u removed the orange reflector in front of them?

Because they are LEDs. You dont use a white LED the same way you use a white incandescent bulb. "White" LEDs have an output more like a High Intensity Discharge headlight which makes them less effective behind a tinted surface (Cadillac was the first to use White discharge LEDs as reverse lights in the '06 DTS and Lexus in the License Plate housing of the '06 GS. Audi will be the first with a White LED headlamp application in the European R8, and already has White LED foglights on the Q7 in the U.S.). If the intended output is orange, then you use an orange LED, even if theres a reflector over it, Red LEDs even when theres a red reflector over it etc etc. BMW uses both clear and orange tints in the tail lights of the 2004-06 Coupes, but the LEDs underneath are still orange regardless. If youve worked with LEDs for any considerable period of time, its just common sense.

nofinga911
03-29-07, 11:22 PM
Because they are LEDs. You dont use a white LED the same way you use a white incandescent bulb. "White" LEDs have an output more like a High Intensity Discharge headlight which makes them less effective behind a tinted surface (Cadillac was the first to use White discharge LEDs as reverse lights in the '06 DTS and Lexus in the License Plate housing of the '06 GS. Audi will be the first with a White LED headlamp application in the European R8, and already has White LED foglights on the Q7 in the U.S.). If the intended output is orange, then you use an orange LED, even if theres a reflector over it, Red LEDs even when theres a red reflector over it etc etc. BMW uses both clear and orange tints in the tail lights of the 2004-06 Coupes, but the LEDs underneath are still orange regardless. If youve worked with LEDs for any considerable period of time, its just common sense.

so would it be an easy task changing the led's to different color ones?

Playdrv4me
03-30-07, 09:06 PM
so would it be an easy task changing the led's to different color ones?

Absolutely!

The LED's are usually "lined up" on a PCB that runs the length they span. If you are handy with electronics and a saudering iron you can desolder the LEDs from their terminals on the board, get some different colored ones from the hardware store, Radio Shack etc. and solder the new ones in the place of the old ones. The only time when this can be difficult is if they arent actual "bulbs" (the little capsules that usually come to mind when you think of a single LED) and they are "flat" surface mount LEDs, these are more difficult to remove. However, LEDs used for exterior lighting purposes are usually the plain old capsule type.

This was a popular interior mod along time ago on the first CTS's with orange backlighting on the interior instrument panel. Alot of guys here took them apart and changed them to white, which as you can see, Cadillac is now using by default.

anton28
04-01-07, 11:12 PM
they are orange, i removed mine.