caddycruiser
03-28-07, 12:42 PM
Pictures:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4920/2008stshi03do5.jpg
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/8001/2008stshi01nz5.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3259/2008stshi02gu3.jpg
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5987/2008stshi04md8.jpg

Press Release:
ENHANCED 2008 CADILLAC STS DELIVERS SIGNATURE STYLING AND ADVANCED PERFORMANCE TECHNOLOGY

NEW YORK – The 2008 Cadillac STS, featuring refreshed signature styling inside and out; a new, standard 298-horsepower (222 kW) V-6 engine; and a host of new vehicle technologies, debuts at next week’s New York Auto Show, April 6-15, at the Jacob Javits Convention Center.

“For the past two decades, the Cadillac STS has been a showcase of luxury, performance and technology,” said Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manger. “The new 2008 STS extends that heritage with a bold new look, the debut of a new, high-tech standard engine and some of the industry’s most advanced safety technology.”

Refreshed design, inside and out

With overall dimensions slightly increased, the new STS conveys more of the design flair that has become a Cadillac signature. Up front, the dual-textured, multi-faceted grille first seen on the Sixteen concept and incorporated on both the Escalade and soon-to-be-launched 2008 CTS, has been adapted to the STS, giving the luxury performance sedan a more sophisticated appearance. Vertically stacked headlamps with large, dual 70mm projector lenses are encased in an aluminized, single-piece bezel. High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps are now available on V-6 models.

Also available on V-6 models for the first time are Intellibeam headlamps. The headlamps automatically switch gradually from high beam to low beam when vehicles approach or the vehicle is approaching taillamps. The lower front fascia is a new design, with a new intake and grille patterned after current Cadillac ‘V’ cues. New, narrower side marker lamps are added.

Similarly, side air extractors, again inspired by the Sixteen and Escalade, are now incorporated in the front fenders of the STS.

New styling touches also include chrome-plated door handles and new lower rocker moldings that blend into the lower line of the vehicle for more presence and refinement.

At the rear, the new fascia is now body-color, and is highlighted with the addition of polished, aluminum three-inch exhaust tips.

New, polished 18-inch by 8-inch aluminum 14-spoke wheels are available. For these available wheels, Michelin W-rated, 235/50R18 tires are used up front, and the rear wheels are fitted with 255/45R18 all-season radials.

Inside, STS’s luxurious interior includes a new steering wheel with available genuine Sapele Pommele wood trim. Sapele is an exotic wood more commonly used in fine furniture and musical instruments. A heated steering wheel also is available. The center stack of the instrument panel is revised with the addition of wood trim that has new metallic surroundings.

New, available features for the STS include a head-up display on V-6 models. The head-up display projects key driving information (such as speedometer ratings) onto the windshield, enabling drivers to keep their eyes on the road.

STS adds direct-injection V-6

For 2008, STS will be the first GM vehicle equipped with a new 3.6-liter direct-injected V-6 engine. The new base powerplant, with 298 horsepower (222 kW), delivers 40 more horsepower; and torque is increased to 268 lb.-ft. (371 Nm) – up from 252 lb.-ft. (348 Nm) on the current base engine.

The new direct-injected 3.6L will be mated to the Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic transmission, the first pairing of this transmission with a V-6 engine. Additionally, the STS V-6 will continue to be available with all-wheel drive (AWD) for 2008.

Advantages of the new direct-injected engine include a 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions. Additionally, despite the 15-percent increase in power, fuel economy is expected to increase slightly.

Lane departure technology debuts

Continuing Cadillac’s commitment to using advanced safety features, the 2008 STS will offer new features including a new performance handling package; enhanced variable-effort steering with StabiliTrak on V-8 models; and new lane departure warning and blind side alerts.

The new performance handling package will be available for V-8-equipped rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models and V-6-equipped rear-drive models. The package includes 18-inch by 8.5-inch aluminum alloy, chrome-plated wheels fitted with new P255/45R18 Michelin Pilot Sport summer-only tires.

Brembo brakes with four-piston calipers provide enhanced braking, with front rotors measuring 14-inch by 1.2-inch (355mm x 32mm) coupled with 14.4-inch by 1.1-inch (365mm x 28mm) rear rotors. All four rotors are vented.

In addition to controlling brakes and reducing engine power, the latest iteration of StabiliTrak combines active front steering to turn the front wheels into the skid when rear wheels lose traction. The system includes a new steering motor assembly combined with computer-driven electronic controls that measure wheel slippage at all four wheels independently during acceleration, braking and adverse road conditions.

To help alert drivers to maintain their position on the road, the STS will be available with a new lane departure system. Controlled by a camera located in the rearview mirror that reads the lines in the road, the system will alert drivers when they have strayed into another lane. Drivers will get both audible and visual alert cues.

Another new feature is an available blind spot alert system. The radar-based convenience feature will provide drivers with a visual alert that appears on the outside rearview mirror when vehicles appear in a specified side zone.

The 2008 STS is expected to be available in Cadillac dealerships by mid-summer. Introductory pricing will be announced at a later date.

c5 rv
03-28-07, 12:46 PM
Very nice!

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 12:58 PM
Very nice!

Yeah, I like it too. Nothing at all huge, visually, but no one really should have expected that either, given the STS's age. The performance changes are nice, as are some of the new features, and inside and out now have greater detailing and don't look as plain--not that it was ever bad--as the current model. There's things I like about both, but for the most part, the interior revisions will probably be the most welcomed just visually, even as small as they are. And the new grille and such updates it to stay with the new CTS and Escalade, without detracting much, so it should be all good.

And GM photography is typically some of the worst, so it'll likely look better in person.

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 01:52 PM
Hopefully this too will liven dying interest in the car, and maybe they'll drop the prices down a tad too--like was done with the SRX. In reality, it needs to stay at a premium over the CTS, but it could still tend to drop from where it is, especially with right now needing such large incentives to move still sitting '06 models and that all contributing to really bad resales.

STS2002
03-28-07, 02:19 PM
So what happened to that nice new interior that we have been seeing the past couple months. This one is a disappointment. I don't like the aluminum on this one!

I really do like the refreshed exterior, however!

Kadonny
03-28-07, 03:54 PM
They won't change the interior until they do a total redesign on the car. This is just a "freshening" as they say.

I still don't care for those huge ass side vents.

chiefmjk
03-28-07, 04:20 PM
Not impressed. The front end looks good. I was hoping they were going to put in the China SLS interior. I guess their is no direct injection for the N*. I will be getting a 2008 CTS when my lease is up at the end of the year.

BarryH_GEG
03-28-07, 04:34 PM
Interesting. "Bling" is obviously the cure GM's prescribing for slow sales. The front end, side vents, chrome on the door handles and side sills, and bigger tail pipes all certainly make the car more noticeable. The more powerful (and presumably more efficient) V6 makes it a great alternative to the V8 both for performance and pricing reasons. Opening up higher-end options that were only available on the V8 allow folks to get a pretty competitively equipped V6 for a lower entry price. The bells-and-whistles stuff like blind spot alerts and lane departure warnings are probably part of higher-end packages that include HUD and active cruise control. The challenge with the likes of 1SG is that you're now looking at a $50-60K car which is BMW/M-B money. The STS is competitive with those marques but resale sucks in comparison so most people won't bite. It'll be interesting to see how the 2008 fares in the market - especially when competing against the newly redesigned CTS.

Did anyone else notice that there was no mention of the STS-V?

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 04:42 PM
Did anyone else notice that there was no mention of the STS-V?

Yep, I noticed it too, but it's very likely just not mentioned for the simple fact that there's little, if any, changes in the way for it--it already has unique and better interior touches, plus performance and chassis upgrades. If anything, maybe the grille and another detail or two will change, it's just not significant enough to mention.

Otherwise, this seems like a hit or miss. None of the changes are huge, and some either like or dislike the new detailing, and I can see both sides. It's definitely more "blingy", but at the same time also seems at least a bit more interesting inside and under the skin than before. With a price drop and better option packaging, that alone could help it the most.

ijsegurola
03-28-07, 05:07 PM
Nice revisions and better V6 but I think we are all DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME they didn't put in the chinese interior (man, never woulda thought I'd ever say that)...

I guess we're gonna have to wait a few more years to see if Caddy knocks one out of the park with the next one....

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 07:30 PM
Nice revisions and better V6 but I think we are all DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME they didn't put in the chinese interior (man, never woulda thought I'd ever say that)...

I guess we're gonna have to wait a few more years to see if Caddy knocks one out of the park with the next one....

Well, actually, in truth, it's not that different from the Chinese version at all, aside from lacking the weird wood and plain old steering wheel.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5987/2008stshi04md8.jpg
http://image2.sina.com.cn/qc/photo/slssales/U1930P33T148D163259F2100DT20070301114035.jpg

Aside from a leather wrapped or stitched dashboard, I think the revised STS is better--especially in regards to the much nicer steering wheel and wood--and aside from the special rear console the SLS got due to the longer wheelbase. Actually, on that note, it might have been interesting to see the STS shift to that slightly longer wheelbase either as a separate model or as standard to help differentiate it from the CTS in interior room, but I think that's still coming before long.

Pete Benson
03-28-07, 09:22 PM
Actually I like the changes, blingy and superficial though they are. I also like the changes to the dash as well, but then I'm one of the only two or three people in the world who likes the original dash anyway - especially in the base model with the aluminum trim. Having said that, it's still too bad the dash from the Chinese SLS will not be used after all.

The addition of the rocker panel molding is interesting, although I wish it was a little more bold. I think it would have been neat if the tapering "bevel" shape running along the bottom of the doors had been chromed, instead of just that thin, straight line.

All in all though, I think it's a pretty effective freshening of an existing design.

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 09:58 PM
Having said that, it's still too bad the dash from the Chinese SLS will not be used after all.

Agree with you on the aluminum trimmed base model dash, but again have to ask--what is it about the Chinese dash that's particularly better or why would you prefer it to this? It's really just the wood and the leather stitching, but are those the things that make you like it more?

Just curious, for research purposes:)

Wiseguy2
03-28-07, 10:23 PM
Agree with you on the aluminum trimmed base model dash, but again have to ask--what is it about the Chinese dash that's particularly better or why would you prefer it to this? It's really just the wood and the leather stitching, but are those the things that make you like it more?

The Chinese SLS's interior is the interior that the car should have had from day 1. Door panels and dashboard by Rubbermaid are totally out of place in this car.

I love my STS but the interior is a joke compared to the European imports.. it's what really lets the car down... cheap plastics, lousy fit, a shifter handle that's jokingly loose..etc.

GM can do much better.

90Brougham350
03-28-07, 10:50 PM
So this is what America thinks it can compete with Germany and Japan with huh? Redesign the beast already, this interior is horrible! Here we are all looking at the gorgeous pictures of the Chinese SLS, drooling, and waiting for a decent interior, finally, and we get this. I don't care how close to the Chinese interior this is, the fact of the matter is that it isn't the Chinese interior. It still looks cheap to me.

LStasy003
03-29-07, 01:21 AM
Personally I'm not a fan at all of the new styling. I think the STS's lines are very soft and flow well with the car. That front end is very sharp and aggressive looking. Looks better on a car with sharp lines. The STS lines smooth. Brings too much attention into the front of the car. The grill is going to be too big for the rest of the car. As for all the chrome..........UUUHHHH (no comment)

Onalaska
03-29-07, 07:10 AM
I was happy to see the days of chromed everything go away! It's typical corporate styling changes without spending money redesigning the sheet metal. Add a few shiny nonfunctional things and sell it as a new model. Looks cheap to me. I'll stick with my 2005 which is a really fine looking car.

Kadonny
03-29-07, 07:26 AM
So this is what America thinks it can compete with Germany and Japan with huh? Redesign the beast already, this interior is horrible! Here we are all looking at the gorgeous pictures of the Chinese SLS, drooling, and waiting for a decent interior, finally, and we get this. I don't care how close to the Chinese interior this is, the fact of the matter is that it isn't the Chinese interior. It still looks cheap to me.

God, give them time. They just put the new interior in the CTS and they have been working on that for probably 2 years. The STS total redesign is next, just keep your pants on. This stuff does not happen overnight. As I said before, this is just a "freshening" and not a redesign.

Keep calm and have faith, the new interior will be here soon enough. And what's so wrong with the interior we have now? I like it and it is light years ahead of the CTS current interior.

c5 rv
03-29-07, 09:47 AM
I saw an 08 STS in traffic yesterday. The only part covered was the front end. Paint color was radiant bronze. It looked great! Sorry, I was headed the other direction and couldn't turn around and get pics. Location was near the same place I saw an 08 CTS a couple months ago: Grand River Ave. east of Howell, MI. Someone with GM must get off I-96 and head into town. Sometime I'd like to be able to turn around and follow - hoping he / she stops at a store or something so I can get some pics.

thefred
03-29-07, 09:59 AM
I still don't care for those huge ass side vents.
I'm with you on that one! I think the grilles and the vents make the car look less refined and too blingy!

Wiseguy2
03-29-07, 05:05 PM
And what's so wrong with the interior we have now?

It's crap. And it is not even close to the competition.

I like it and it is light years ahead of the CTS current interior.

Yes, but that's not saying much. The interior is what I spend most of my time looking at.. not the exterior (Which is gorgeous BTW!)

Once Caddy refines their lineup just a little more they are going to be unstoppable. Even with the cheezy interior, the CTS sells very well as it should.. it's a great car.

Pete Benson
03-29-07, 06:54 PM

Because even though I happen to prefer the sort of minimalist look of the current dash design and interior, I realize that a lot of potential paying customers don't, and that Cadillac sooner or later had to bring the interior more in line with the competition.

I think Cadillac did a notable job on the Chinese SLS interior. It's a well-executed, still fairly restrained, and thoroughly upgraded design which doesn't resort to the overstyled and baroque excesses of some of its rivals, the Infiniti M and Acura RL being two of the more grotesque examples I could name.

And yes, details like real wood, and the hand-stitched leather dash cap definitely contribute to the overall feeling of substance and quality.

STScadillac99
03-31-07, 02:28 PM
hello all, so will there be a 2008 STS-V series? any pics if so...

caddycruiser
03-31-07, 10:05 PM
hello all, so will there be a 2008 STS-V series? any pics if so...

There will be, but as said before, the bigger changes are on the regular STS and nothing yet has been released about the -V. Just expect small detail touch-ups, and maybe imagine those fender vents and something else...just as a guess. Either way, nothing significant enough for them to even mention it, so that's pretty telling.

EDIT: Actually, looks like the ordering book is up, and you can see what's been done to both the STS and STS-V:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2008&butID=1&regionID=1&divisionID=5&vehicleID=4660&type=0

jcc
04-01-07, 05:37 PM
The problem with the new 2008 models is that they do not have leather IP, front and rear door trims and center console. It is that single detail which makes the most difference in terms of the look and feel of the interior, and leads people to say that the STS is not comparable to the foreign competition. I have never read any critic complain about the interior of the STS-V.
What is worse, the leather trims are not even available.

Wiseguy2
04-01-07, 06:59 PM
The problem with the new 2008 models is that they do not have leather IP, front and rear door trims and center console. It is that single detail which makes the most difference in terms of the look and feel of the interior, and leads people to say that the STS is not comparable to the foreign competition. I have never read any critic complain about the interior of the STS-V.

:thumbsup:

z06bigbird
04-02-07, 07:34 PM
GM mechanics tell me that the 3.6 is an excellent engine. These are guys who are my best friends, and they have no problem badmouthing lousy product.

Ed

jlmartin99
04-02-07, 07:45 PM

Greetings jcc;1034212,

I very much like the style and design of the current STS interior, but I do think the leather IP should be standard and the SLS upgrades were in my opinion a level above in style. Based on what I have seen, I plan to upgrade to the STS-V, unless the new CTS knocks my socks offs when I see it at the NY Auto Show. From the photos, it does not do that for me and it features remain less than the current STS V8. Time will tell.

JLM

malcolm
04-03-07, 10:06 AM
That center stack needs to get skinny. My biggest complaint is banging my knee on the side of that monster console. At least soften the edge. For a car this size the leg room sucks.

lreddiablo
04-03-07, 07:53 PM
I was hoping that the entertainment/navi system would get some updating to have HD Radio and Traffic on the navi, very diosappointed there!

Lord Cadillac
04-05-07, 11:03 AM
If they were going to add chrome, they should have added it to the crease at the bottom of the doors as well..

I agree with those who like the Chinese interior better.

I also agree with those who feel the "L" version should just be the standard version to further separate the STS from the CTS - especially now that the front-end looks exactly the same again. I like the current front-end for the STS better. This front-end looks great on the CTS, however. As mentioned above - it's the soft lines of the STS that look off-balance with the rigid front-end...

Apparently, the side vents should be an option. Some people love them and some people hate them.

Also mentioned above.. The interior is extremely important in a luxury vehicle. You spend more time with the interior than the exterior - unless your vehicle is a garage queen...

ral1960
04-07-07, 12:49 AM
If they were going to add chrome, they should have added it to the crease at the bottom of the doors as well..

I believe they did.

Agree with the rest of your post. At one time "they" said Sigma could not be stretched further than the current 116" wheelbase, but then the Chinese did so. They must have planned that for Chinese production all along, but they're unwilling to change the US production line since Zeta is imminent and the DTS is available.

AnthonySerp
04-13-07, 10:19 PM
i like the 05-07 exterior much better than the new one, also i hate those chrome vents very cheap looking

evaccaro
04-14-07, 11:13 PM
i like the 05-07 exterior much better than the new one, also i hate those chrome vents very cheap looking

I agree, especially when equipped with 18" wheels and the rear spoiler. It's OK to hang a bunch of bling all over the Escalade but this is the STS. Let's show a bit of class here. The toothy grille is enough. The only thing I don't like about the 05-07 is the grille but that can be easily solved with an E&G aftermarket V knock off. Too bad it costs as much as it does. I guess if I can afford an STS, $430 bucks shouldn't break the bank. I just need to convince the wife how essential this is. :bigroll:

dwight.j.carter
05-07-07, 03:18 PM
They need to go back to there roots and offer a front wheel drive model instead of rear wheel drive. I understand it for performance reasons. Hell why not just offer all three options and make everyone happy !

RightTurn
05-07-07, 06:59 PM
Looks good overall but I agree about the cheesy sidevents.

evaccaro
05-07-07, 08:06 PM
They need to go back to there roots and offer a front wheel drive model instead of rear wheel drive. I understand it for performance reasons. Hell why not just offer all three options and make everyone happy !

I'm not sure that GM has the fnancial stomach for this. It would also send the wrong message to the market about where Cadillac is headed. I've owned a 1990 Eldo TC, 1992 STS, 1996 STS, 1998 STS, 2001 STS - all front wheel drive. I have since owned a 2004 CTS and now a 2007 STS. For my money, the rear drive platform is much better. No torque steer, better weight distribution, more engine/transmission/drive ratio choices - Rear wheel drive is simply a more versatile architecture. When equipped with a limited-slip differential and traction control, rear wheel drive can come close to matching the bad weather traction advantage of front wheel drive.

dwight.j.carter
05-09-07, 11:45 AM
Someday I will buy an AWD V8 STS. Has anyone tried roasting all four tires on one ?

evaccaro
05-09-07, 11:47 PM
Someday I will buy an AWD V8 STS. Has anyone tried roasting all four tires on one ?

Can't say I've heard of that stunt yet but I'd bet it would take an awful lot of torque to get them all spinning. Probably need a V engine to do it. In any event it would make a really neat photo... at least until the entire car was enveloped in smoke!:eek:

Kadonny
05-10-07, 09:10 AM
Hell why not just offer all three options and make everyone happy !

Financially impossible. Do you know how much money is spent on designing a platform? Now you want them to design 2 for a car? Will never happen.

evaccaro
05-10-07, 10:52 PM
If you want front wheel drive Caddy that badly, buy a DTS.

malcolm
05-11-07, 11:28 AM
I think they are missing the boat. Current owners leases will be up as will mine be and I don't think I will go for another STS, The redesigned CTS is my budget choice or DTS for the old man in me. Not sure which way to go but STS is quite doubtful unless they come up with some bigger changes.

corvette00
05-11-07, 02:54 PM
I almost did get a DTS in December, but I could not locate the car I wanted (triple black performance with a black grill) and the STS leased better

malcolm
05-11-07, 03:38 PM
I would have but when the lease on my 02 Seville was up the DTS was not available yet and I didn't want the last year Deville. Depending on how well I like the new CTS will determine if I go that way or DTS. Everybody tells me the DTS is an old man's car but what the heck, I'm just about there.

c5 rv
05-12-07, 08:12 AM
08 STS articles from the Detroit News:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070512/AUTO01/705120345

... and Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070512/BUSINESS01/705120373/1002

northlites
05-14-07, 04:40 PM
:yawn: The '08 STS has that
Dodge/Chrysler 300/Audi battering ram front end design!

Ugh. I consider that ugly design. On top of that,
it'll have more bells & whistles that I can live without. I won't be buying
that model! So, to the CTS or Mustang GT, or even a BMW?

Life goes on.