: 88 Fleetwood Brougham A/C Problem

devilock76
03-28-07, 12:01 PM
OK well my A/C is not working, when I switch from Econ to Auto on the climate control the fan keeps going but it is not cold air. Nothing changes in engine running making me believe the compressor is not engaging. Everything in the AC is new except the compressor and compressor clutch and the climate control panel and electronics. That being said I am thinking it is one of the following four items, the panel circuitry itself, the compressor, the compressor clutch, or the low pressure switch.

Anyone have some suggestions on easy ways to test some of these components to try to narrow down the culprit?

Ken

jayoldschool
03-28-07, 12:07 PM
If the compressor is not cycling at all, then the system likely has a leak and is very low on freon (or empty). With a partial charge, the compressor will cycle frequently. Time to get it into a shop for charge/test.

Motorboat
03-28-07, 02:20 PM
^What he said.

The Ape Man
03-28-07, 08:31 PM
Someone may have stolen your refrigerant. Check under the hood for loose connections at the compressor, pressure switch and CCOT switch. Other than that, time to check system pressures to see if anyone is home.

devilock76
03-29-07, 09:51 AM
People really steal refrigerant?!?

I have only owned the car for about a month and the whole time it has been well watched and secured. I would find it unlikely for that to happen under my watch but then again not impossible.

OK let us say I find that to be the case, what is the best way to prevent future theft? Car Alarm? Or can I maybe rig a tazer or a boxing glove filled with lead on a spring ala Bugs Bunny to protect my refigerant?!?

Ken

The Ape Man
03-29-07, 07:25 PM
Use an explosive substitute. Place stickers all over indicating such.

danomac
03-29-07, 10:23 PM
When this happened on my DeVille it turned out to be the tempurature control unit in the dash. It wasn't putting out the right voltage and so my compressor never engaged.

The second time it happened the refrigerant got too low. I did a quick test by jumpering the cycling switch momentarily with the heater controls set to full cold (60F.) The compressor switched on, so I just brought it to my radiator/cooling shop and had them change the seals and recharge it.

z06bigbird
04-01-07, 01:22 PM
Check shraeder value for pressure.

Hopefully, you evacuated the system for 45 min or so when you re-charged it. Also, you should have used a new orifice tube.

Good luck.

Ed