: anyone bought a car in a private sale in PA?

T_Dogg8
03-28-07, 09:49 AM
anyone bought a car from someone other than the dealer in PA? how did you handle the taxes? what paperwork do i need to take with me to transfer the title?

99esteees
03-28-07, 11:43 AM
Interesting thread. I just bought a STS from a private party, some guy. All we did was use a bill of sale basically and I gave him cash. The car has a lien on it and he says he is going to get the title today and will mail it certified to me. I am a bit nervous though.

As far as taxes, you pay those when you go get your plates if its not a car lot.

T_Dogg8
03-28-07, 11:56 AM
i'm still waiting on the title. fortunately the guy is a friend so there's no worry about him running with the cash. how do you prove how much you bought the car for when paying taxes? obviously since i'm buying it from a private owner, there is no bill of sale and i just don't want any trouble from the tax man later in life.

99esteees
03-28-07, 01:09 PM
i'm still waiting on the title. fortunately the guy is a friend so there's no worry about him running with the cash. how do you prove how much you bought the car for when paying taxes? obviously since i'm buying it from a private owner, there is no bill of sale and i just don't want any trouble from the tax man later in life.

Actually I did get a bill of sale, but also on the title there is a spot where you place the sell price, atleast there is in Indiana.

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 02:02 PM
Yep, usually you make a bill of sale that's signed, and based on the price on that, you then pay your taxes and such when registering and switching things over to your name. It's usually pretty simple, as least as long as nothing is changing state.

T_Dogg8
03-28-07, 02:10 PM
so does that mean my friend and i have to write up a bill of sale?

dkozloski
03-28-07, 02:52 PM
so does that mean my friend and i have to write up a bill of sale?
Mailbox and copying outfits have forms of all types for sale that are suitable for your area; wills, bills of sale, promissory notes etc.

dkozloski
03-28-07, 02:53 PM
Oops!

StuJac
03-28-07, 02:55 PM
Yes-dozens and dozens. I'm on my second Caddy, both purchased privately. You lie when you go to the tag place; they'll let you get away with any number above the low blue book. I've even heard that there's a number below the low blue that they'll accept; try anything. All they'll do is say, "it can't go for below xxx". Also, you'll need proof of insurance, the title and your drivers license.

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 02:57 PM
Yep, you can pick one of those up, or just simply have them write a short thing down on paper that says "I, _______, am selling ________ vin #________ to ________for $_______. And both sign. Really doesn't have to be elaborate, and case in point, when we bought our '93 FWB, the owner simply wrote up a short thing right there on the trunk of the car with a piece of paper, and that was then used to handle registration items and such, along with the title.

Blackout
03-28-07, 04:38 PM
When I bought my cars I've always told them that I got the car for $500-$1000 and they're cool with it

caddycruiser
03-28-07, 11:13 PM
When I bought my cars I've always told them that I got the car for $500-$1000 and they're cool with it

Right, that too. If in agreement, you can always state a different lower price and pay less taxes. It's a cheat, and sometimes I think they are suspicious for obvious reasons, but it happens.

derrty_deville
03-29-07, 12:14 PM
How can they tell you what the lowest sale price can be anyway? what if the car is damaged but not totalled and sold cheap?
Thats bs. Under $3k is a flat $10 in MN. Over $3k is 6.5% just like everything else. If you say its just a title transfer then you dont pay any taxes. I do that but it was true when I did it last weekend.

dkozloski
03-29-07, 01:05 PM
Move to Alaska and your troubles are over. We don't tax on auto sales or any other state sales taxes for that matter.

99esteees
03-29-07, 04:29 PM
Move to Alaska and your troubles are over. We don't tax on auto sales or any other state sales taxes for that matter.

Must be nice. Your siggy looks better too!

I just got my title and realized I am going to have to pay the BMV around $600 tomorrow! :rant2:

T_Dogg8
04-02-07, 11:49 AM
there's a lien on the car so does that make it more difficult when trying to state a lower sale price?

StuJac
04-02-07, 03:47 PM
Lien? That has to be paid off. The title has to be clear by the time you are switching it over. The lien has to be satisfied. If it's a bank, they'll have to sign off on the title. If it's an individual, same thing.

T_Dogg8
04-03-07, 10:05 AM
i know, i mean i have loan for the car so there will be a lein on the title when it gets transffered to me.

StuJac
04-03-07, 11:16 AM
But, you paid it off, right? If you paid it off you need a "Letter of Satisfaction" if the lien-holder is still on the title. They won't transfer it without this.

T_Dogg8
04-04-07, 09:52 AM
no. i'm buying the car and have a loan. the guy i'm buying it from has paid it off. there is no lien on the title. my original question had to do with the people who were saying to say you paid less and my question was asking if having a loan would make it more likely for the state to catch up with me.

StuJac
04-04-07, 03:55 PM
No difference; the people at the title place won't know, will they? If it's not on the title, they'd have no way of telling. Start out saying you bought it for a really low figure and if they can't do it that low they'll tell you how low you can claim you bought it for.

pimpridein
04-04-07, 09:43 PM
When you go and change the title over the notary will ask you the sale price. (When I bought my Fleetwood I told them 200.00 )If the price you tell them is lower than bluebook value then you have to fill out a formexplaining why you are getting this vehical so cheap . It's that easy . If you are getting a plate you will need proof of insurance. Also you will need your drivers license to prove you are who you say you are . Hope this helped :thumbsup: