: Strange story about my friend's VW with missing sticker

mharker
03-27-07, 09:59 PM
A friend of mine has told me a strange story about a 2001? VW Jetta she bought new in Florida. Now she is moving back to Canada. It was in a serious accident and got repaired. But because of the circumstances surrounding the repair she thinks now it would be a problem to import to Canada. She emailed me her story (below). Any ideas on what this is all about? I have a feeling one of you car guys out there can explain what happened here.

1. bought car brand-new at dealership with 14 miles

2. assumed i would have to wait 10 days for the plates but they had plates there for me which made me curious

3. the plates were registered in Lee county, not Collier county where I live (which is a no-no)

4. was broad-sided (other driver was found to be at fault)

5. for 2 months my car remained in the shop because every time they ordered parts they were the wrong parts/colour

6. the body shop manager told me the VIN number on the front of the car didn't match the trunk VIN number

7. I just assumed my car at that point was either stolen or had stolen parts on it

8. body shop removed my driver's side door with the manufacturer's sticker on it that descibes the vehicle, weight, VIN, where it was made etc.

9. that sticker is never supposed to be removed (it is law) and it should have been replaced

10. I fought with them to get me a new sticker because I knew I could never sell the car without it

11. No luck, they never got me a new one, even tried calling VW head office

12. will not bother getting Canadian plates as I am afraid the car/parts is stolen or whatever and the less questions the better. Will just keep it licenced and insured in FLA.

EDBSO
03-27-07, 10:19 PM
US Customs will hold your ownership for 3 days while they do a search to verify whether the car has been stolen. Without the Customs stamp on the ownership you can't plate it in Canada either.

Canada Customs also records data from the sticker. I don't understand why there is not one on the replacement door.

As insurance was involver have the insurance company insist on the proper sticker being applied.

I have imported several cars into Canada. I live in Ottawa. Where will she be moving to?

Frost
03-28-07, 07:13 AM
EDBSO - so do I (live in Ottawa), as does Brougham.

Small world, eh?:) Maybe we get into some sort of regular Caddy gathering action.

malcolm
03-28-07, 09:52 AM
why would the VIN be on an easily removable part of the car? Something doesn't sound quite right about this.

dkozloski
03-29-07, 01:55 PM
By federal law the vin# is stamped in seven different locations, some of them secret. This story stinks to high heaven.

mharker
03-29-07, 07:33 PM
By federal law the vin# is stamped in seven different locations, some of them secret. This story stinks to high heaven.

So is it no biggie if the vin #s on different panels are different after an accident repair?

EDBSO
03-29-07, 10:02 PM
PM when weather is warmer for a get together.

Ogdensburg is easier and friendler to cross at. Better than 1,000 islands.