: Air Noise Solution-2007 Ext

claykehrer
03-27-07, 10:35 AM
I am writing this because I went through such trouble finding a solution to the unacceptable amount of windnoise in my 2007 EXT. I searched this board and read many informative posts regarding reducing noise. The real problem lies in the manufacturing of the truck. My first truck was built on Aug 02, 2006. When driving from 65+ mph the wind noise from the front doors was too loud. I had to slow down when driving 90 to talk on my cell phone. I also noticed water leak from my mirror whenever I washed the truck. I had a misaligned toolbox on the driverside, the centercap for the wheel was loose, and the chrome trim on the passenger side rear door broke because the trim was too close to the drivers door. All of these items were covered by warrenty by Cadillac.

Now, after taking my truck to the dealer for service, which I dont reccommend based on my experinces, they replaced the mirror filler, weather stripping on both front doors, and applied some sealent to the mirror. I drove the truck and the wind noise was actually worse. Due to some implications at the service department, I was offered to drive a newer build date truck. The doors on the truck are welded to the frame and allignment is very limited.

The current truck I am driving was built on Feb 7, 2007. The air noise is night and day diffrence. So quiet, I again find myself speeding because I dont realize how fast I am going. The truck exhuast sounds diffrent at idle as well. I am not sure why, but it is noticable by others, not just me.

I feel it is important to empahsize how much diffrence there is because I spent many hours and extreme frushtration trying to solve these problems. Personally, I think when you buy a 60,000$ truck, you should not have problems, like this, but it is important to note that Cadillac has fixed these issues and you may want to check your build date.

Dif
03-27-07, 07:43 PM
Well you're not alone. It's aggravating, annoying and frustrating.
And, like you say,...the noise starts at 60-65mph... Same as mine.
Build date : Aug 16th, 2006
I've done all the things the bulletin calls for..
Put the filler foam,.. tape the holes where the wires go in the mirrors, tape the clips and sill under the inside window molding and even put extra weather stripping on the doors and have a tight seal now but..
still have wind noise. Both front doors around the windows.
It's definitely not as bad as it was in the beginning but loud enough to be annoying and can still be heard above the radio at times.
It's definitely a design or assembly flaw and should be easily fixed at any dealer, but they all seem to be in the dark about it.
I brought mine in once so far and all they did was push the mirror filler foam into the back side of the mirrors from the inside and all bunched up in a ball.:rolleyes:
They took all day to do it.
When I checked it myself I straightened the foam out .... it took all of 5 minutes.
I've only seen a couple people that posted about their wind noise say the dealer fixed it so it was really quiet.
Everyone else still seems to have the problem even after the dealer working on it.
Now that I taped everything else up according to the Bulletin I'm going to take my extra weather stripping off the doors and see what happens.
Also, this may sound odd but,.. besides the wind noise,,..
I notice a lot of outside noise gets in the vehicle.. as if there's no insulation or there's holes somewhere and you can clearly hear any outside noise. :confused:

claykehrer
03-27-07, 07:51 PM
Ok, well here is the problem. The doors are welded to the frame. In the first set of cars to come from the new assembly line, they are missaligned and no matter what the dealer says, there is no fix.

I dont know what state you live in but in TX there is a lemon law. If the dealer cant fix it after three tries, they have to buy it back from you. I would talk to your dealer to work on a trade. The diffrence from my old to new truck is night and day.

Dif
03-27-07, 09:23 PM
Ok, well here is the problem. The doors are welded to the frame. In the first set of cars to come from the new assembly line, they are missaligned and no matter what the dealer says, there is no fix.

I dont know what state you live in but in TX there is a lemon law. If the dealer cant fix it after three tries, they have to buy it back from you. I would talk to your dealer to work on a trade. The diffrence from my old to new truck is night and day.

That don't sound good... :bigroll: Thanks for the info.
I'm in Massachusetts and they have a Lemon law.

Dif
03-28-07, 07:08 AM

Can you see the welds or are they done internally?
I only ask because I'm looking at my door hinges and can't see any welds.. .. they look normal with just bolts holding the hinges.
Want to get as much info as possible before I go back to the dealer.
Thanks.

sj1400
03-28-07, 08:40 AM
Well I'll be attempting visit # 3 next week - it's very frustrating to hear all these whistles.. Of course the drivers side window remains suspect BUT I'm going to have them inspect the windshield molding.

docmartin9
11-02-07, 12:47 PM
Just got mine back from the dealer. I can't tell any difference in the wind noise. Based on past experience with this dealer I want to check his work. I'm betting he didn't do it correctly.

How do I take off the inside cover to the mirror housing?

Thanks,

Andrew