: Westers vs Fastchip for '95

darien99
03-26-07, 09:17 PM
Well there's a huge price difference Wester's being $295 and Fastchip being $159 (??)

Think they actually make that much more power? I just got done reading that other 14 page thread on westers, and it seems messing with a/f ratio doesn't help all too much on these cars, so basically we're gaining from timing advance.

Thoughts?

clarkz71
03-27-07, 05:05 AM
I can't say if Westers chip makes more power. What I do know is that if it does, it must be more timing and the higher risk of engine damage. I also know that Westers alters the transmission control side of the chip. The chip is actually called a dual mem-cal. It has two proms/chips. One for engine control, one for transaxle control. Fastchips doesn't mess with the trans control, which I like as my trans shifts fine stock. I don't want "firmer" shifts. Especially since it does that already when you put the shifter in 2. I've had my Fastchip in for 2 months. It makes more power low end & midrange and the speed limiter is gone. $159 vs $395......:thepan:

clarkz71
03-27-07, 05:47 AM
And the Westers chip is $395, not $295. Click on the link, it's the third one down.

http://westersgarage.eidnet.org/GM.htm

darien99
03-27-07, 06:53 AM
Opps typo on my part.

I wondered what they meant by dual memcal. Now I know. I agree, my trans shifts solid if you put it in manual 1 or 2. Squaks those 18" wheels/tires. :thumbsup:

TripleblackETC
03-27-07, 08:38 PM
I highly recommend the fastchip too. The price is right, and while the power gain isn't anything all that noticeable, the speed limiter removal is freaking sweet.

darien99
03-27-07, 09:07 PM
Well I"m not too worried about the speed limiter, I haven't even found mine yet in the STS. :)

I'd hope the power is noticable though, is it really not noticable?

clarkz71
03-28-07, 04:51 AM
As I said before, definitly more power at low end and midrange. The 12 to 15 hp they claim is accurate. I switched the chips back and forth to be sure. Also, 93-95 STS and ETC don't have the speed limiter.

TripleblackETC
03-28-07, 07:31 AM
As I said before, definitly more power at low end and midrange. The 12 to 15 hp they claim is accurate. I switched the chips back and forth to be sure. Also, 93-95 STS and ETC don't have the speed limiter.

Maybe I'm just so used to it now I don't notice the difference. :thumbsup:

Cadillacboy
03-28-07, 10:29 AM
In fact it should give 10% increase in HP .I remember when my 'lade was reprogrammed those guys told me like that .
In Northstar perspective, I think, it can even hit 330 HP afterwards

92nsx
03-28-07, 10:41 AM
Where can i get the fastchip? Fastchip.com i am guessing. Any one know if one is made for for a 96 sts?

jadcock
03-29-07, 06:46 AM
10% is rather optimistic, for a chip. You're not getting any more air into the engine, which is an air pump. All a chip can do is play with fuel and spark mapping. Cadillac wouldn't have left 10% on the table if it were safe. If a chip maker is getting 30 horses with just fuel and spark mapping, there's a huge compromise elsewhere. Hopefully it's not in durability.

There are no chips for 96+ vehicles. They are OBD-II and the computers are much harder to reprogram. Check the thread re: Westers Hacking the Northstar or whatever it's called. They're trying to work on a way to re-tune an ODB-II Northstar.