Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Interesting Service Bulletin - Did anyone know about this?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  wydopnthrtl 
#1 ·
Subject:
Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/Over-Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter

The use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter may result in:
^Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On
^Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)
^Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.
The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty.

If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, technicians should inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

See less See more
#5 ·
Be carefull with what type of cleaner you use. They now make acleaner specifically fo this purpose. I have seen MAF sensors destroyed by use of electrcal cleaners, brake cleaners, contact cleaners, etc. Not all cleaners are the same, either in how they clean or their composition.

:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Well I'm still running with the filter the way it came. I haven't serviced it yet. I have no code but I do have a transmission problem that I don't want them to blame on the Volant CAI.

I have no drivability issues but I do have an axle seal leaking at 45k. That's definitely not normal and has been caused by something.

#11 ·
The tranny is computer controlled. Exact same thing can happen to some Fords.

Of coarse.. the *real solution* is not to oil your filter like a 16 yr old who thinks more is always better. :rant2:

Good points DocHemi. I also assume people know not to TOUCH the MAF wires. Just a little *light* spray is all it takes guys.

Rich

#7 ·
Fram used to market an Air Hog too, but I haven't seen 'em around much anymore. There was also a blue-colored filter (or maybe that was the Air Hog). I don't trust any filter I can look through, like those low-filtration cotton-gauze designs. I don't leave the cleanliness of my engines up to a thin film of oil. Oil is designed to lubricate metal-to-metal contact, not to filter dirt particles from air.

#9 ·
The filter that came with my Volant is a blue-gray kind of color. I have replaced the factory air box for now. I may put the Volant back in this summer.

I wanted to make a few dyno runs anyway, one with each, so I figured now was a good time to put the factory box back in.

I will say this, the car definitely pulls harder with the Volant box in there. The power-band moves up a little but having gone back I can tell the CAI was doing it's job. Which is why I'll put it back in later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.