: Head Bolt Torque

zonie77
03-24-04, 11:59 PM
My brother was interrupted while torqueing the head bolts! He was on the 2nd torque sequence..30 lbs done, 70 deg done, started 60 deg sequence. Can he loosen them and retorque? Can he torque to a ft/lb setting to even them? If a ft/lb rating what is it?
The loctite on the bolts must affect that. They take more to break loose as you retorque so just testing the torque with a beam type wrench may be inaccurate.

Bbobynski, do you have input on this? Do they begin to stretch as soon as you begin to tighten them or is it possible to loosen at this point? Thanks...

BeelzeBob
03-25-04, 02:18 PM
My brother was interrupted while torqueing the head bolts! He was on the 2nd torque sequence..30 lbs done, 70 deg done, started 60 deg sequence. Can he loosen them and retorque? Can he torque to a ft/lb setting to even them? If a ft/lb rating what is it?
The loctite on the bolts must affect that. They take more to break loose as you retorque so just testing the torque with a beam type wrench may be inaccurate.

Bbobynski, do you have input on this? Do they begin to stretch as soon as you begin to tighten them or is it possible to loosen at this point? Thanks...

Welll.....if he kept track of where he was at then he can just keep going to the next angle.....

I assume from the tone of the message that he lost track of where he was at?? If so, then just loosen them all and start over from the beginning. The locktite will make the bolts a little difficult to loosen probably....but...not to worry. Just loosen them all, go back to the initial torque setting and procede with the angles...

Take the beer and cell phone away from him this time.... LOL

It really isn't a big deal to do it over again like this. The head gasket is "reusueable" as long as it wasn't heated up in a running engine and thermocycled. There is sufficient loctite on the head bolts to work for several applications if they are new like that. Just loosen them all and start over.

BeelzeBob
03-25-04, 02:20 PM
BTW...per your question, the bolts get stretched a tiny tiny bit taking them to the initial torque value but the vast majority of the bolt stretch is accomplished during the angle steps. The bolts are good for several "stretchings" or installations when new so it didn't hurt them at all.

zonie77
03-25-04, 03:25 PM
Thanks!

He was in the middle of the 2nd angle step and not sure which one he was doing...so some were at 70 deg, some at 70+60. He knows about where he was... not 100% sure. So now trying to figure what was best procedure. I think he will loosen and restart.

Thanks again.