: Level-Ride/Rear Shocks Question

Cadillac_Fan
03-25-07, 03:57 PM
I know my Level Ride shocks are shot on my '88 Brougham. The Level Ride light comes on for about five minutes after start-up and then shuts off - yet it does not change the position of the rear at all.

What, if any, major issues would arise out of not replacing the rear shocks on the car and ignoring an inoperable Level Ride system?

That said, I do not mind the appearance of the sagging rear of the car and it drives fine, yet I do not want to damage key components or systems by not having operable shocks in the rear. What would be the detriments of not fixing the rear shocks? Or, am I in the clear without fixing them?

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions.

XXL-VETE
03-25-07, 06:12 PM
I would find the problem; either the shocks or the air line has failed ; repair / replace it.. the rear springs are not designed to carry the load alone; the rear will continue to sag and the more people you carry in the back seat or stuff in the trunk the worse it will get .. this could also cause the exhaust to ride to close to other components causing more problems .. it shouldn’t cast that much to fix;

Kenny

jayoldschool
03-25-07, 06:46 PM
The system staying on for a long time like that means there is a massive leak that the compressor can't keep up to. Check the owner's manual. I would pull the fuse until you fix it.

I need shocks too - my level ride works fine, but the hydraulic part of my shocks are toast. I am trying to decide between Delcos or aftermarket with the air line adapter kit.

DopeStar 156
03-26-07, 01:02 AM
I have a sagging issue with mine. The car sags in the rear but the level ride functions just fine, no long periods of time with the light on. WOuld that mean my springs are shot and need replacing? They look like the originals.....