: PCM and VATS

hcuda2
03-24-07, 02:04 PM
I posted a thread in the Alarm section but haven't had much help.

Forgive me if there is a thread dedicated to this and point me in the right direction if you would!

I have a 1996 STS. I got the Wait 3 Minutes to Start thing and then the car wouldn't start. I have a spare IPC and I can put that in and the car will start and run but none of the gauges work right and the mileage is way off.

I have tried to bypass VATS using resistors under the dash but it still wont start.

QUESTION:
Is there a way to program VATS off of the PCM? I just want the car to run i don't care about VATS.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this but I need to do something.

Any help?

BCs71
03-28-07, 02:35 PM
I know with the 1994-6 Fleetwood LT1 PCMs it is definitely possible to program out VATS.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the STS hardware/software to comment on your model.

N0DIH
03-30-07, 11:00 AM
Give Lyndon Wester (http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/) a call and ask him, he can do NorthStar, but not sure what years.

The "key" is in watching the security light/VATS light (or whatever they call it on the STS) and see what it is doing. It should go out with the proper key in.

I don't know if it resets immediately, so grab someone with a 96 FSM and have them read up on the Security/VATS system.