: 09 Camaro vs 08 Challenger

CadillacSTS42005
03-24-07, 08:54 AM
Compare and Discuss...
i think the Challenger looks better
but the Camaro will have more power and a higher market...

ShadowLvr400
03-24-07, 08:56 AM
Camaro with more power? As I recall, the top Camaro is going to have 400 horses, the top Challenger will have 425. And honestly, I like the Challenger a bit more, partly because of what could be done to it looks a bit better than what could be done with a Camaro. Plus, I don't have the deep seated resentment at Dodge like I do with GM right now. :P

CIWS
03-24-07, 09:02 AM
Wow this question really has you bugged. :)

Isn't it really a matter of an individual's taste ? Even if 95% of this board were to go one way or another it would affect what I would personally choose. It would be what I want, I get to make the payments.

To the question however, I would need to wait until both cars are on the lot and I can drive them.

CadillacSTS42005
03-24-07, 09:10 AM
lol
just thought it would make a great discussion ya know???
last i herd btw the Aro will be pumping 450 in the Z/28 model and god knows what in the SS variant....

sad that the only way Ford can achieve those kinda numbers by s/c a car, chevy does it through displacement ahahha.

Spyder
03-24-07, 09:57 AM
Challenger challenger challenger...

Parked in the driveway right next to my OTHER Challenger. :D

CadillacSTS42005
03-24-07, 10:19 AM
lol
your bias
hahhaa
seriously though Chevy screwed up by not bringing it out in 08
alot of sales that they may of got will go to the Challenger.

Spyder
03-24-07, 10:34 AM
Hell yes I'm biased. Biased toward what's BETTER!

:D

Spyder
03-24-07, 10:36 AM
I dunno...I don't think they'll lose THAT many sales to the Challenger. The way I see it, I'd sure as hell have waited for the Challenger if the Camaro was second. Most GM guys or Camaro guys won't even think about a Challenger because they WANT the Camaro. The sales they WILL lose are the folks looking for instant status, in which case you're right. But then, most of them drive escalades.

:)

CadillacSTS42005
03-24-07, 11:06 AM
lol
i think anyone looking for a new 2 door coupe
or someone who wants a new thing
will be going for a Challenger

tbyrne
03-24-07, 11:11 AM
I think the Challenger looks more like a muscle car (big and fast) while the Camaro looks like s sports car (sleek and fast). It will be an interestng match!

Tom

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-24-07, 11:13 AM
I haven't seen pictures of each recently, or now much about the specs, but from what I remember, I'd take the Challenger, because IMO it looked better.

AlBundy
03-24-07, 04:20 PM
Challenger.

urbanski
03-24-07, 04:55 PM
camero

CadillacSTS42005
03-25-07, 12:58 AM
Urb cant even spell it
ahhaha
its Camaro....

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
03-25-07, 04:43 AM
Camaro.

I am biased as a I have a Camaro and love it to bits.

But I think the new Camaro looks retro and futuristic at the same time.
Whereas the new Challenger looks too old to me, I may as well just buy an old one and be done with it. I like how it looks, but they've gone too far in copying the old design imho.

Spyder
03-25-07, 05:41 AM
You can't buy an old one for three times the price of the new... ... ...

urbanski
03-25-07, 07:23 AM
camEro

CIWS
03-25-07, 08:36 AM
Camarrow

Sandy
03-25-07, 09:10 AM
Hands down, all the way the Challenger, BUT, it must be an R/T and I'd wait a year & pray they bring back the convertible and I'd buy THAT ~ but with every option offered AND the largest V-8 they make, that can be coupled with the Torqueflite automatic tranny. Plum Crazy or Top Banana with white leather interior & a white roof. I had 3 of the originals (1970-1973) while I was selling Dodges and I have never since then felt the raw power of anything - like those cars did. Poor assembly and miserable fitting doors was their bad part. But, 99% of the buyers didn't really care. I think this time the quality in assembly will be fine. (It better be!). But.....sadly, $3,700 ain't gonna ger ya one !! Move the coma back 1 digit.

I can still name all of the "Hi-Impact" colors @ $ 37.50 extra.

Plum Crazy, Hemi Orange, Go-Mango, Snow White, Top Banana, Sassy Grass Green, Butterscotch, Basin Street Blue, Panther Pink, Sublime, Hulla-Blue,
Curious Yella.

LS1Mike
03-25-07, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't buy a Challenger as it just dosen't have the after market support that the LSx engines do. The new Camaro is going to be LSx based. Better engine, better reliability, better car period. May not look as good, but I don't buy a car based off looks or interior, I buy them based off drivetrain, unless it is for the wife...then you get stuck with a 3.2 CTS...

caddycruiser
03-25-07, 10:35 AM
Camaro all the way for me, for various reasons. I can appreciate the Challenger and liked the old models, but overall it's just a tad bloated and/or not as catchy to me as it is for others. From that, I can also respect the performance it should have, but in reality there really won't be that much of a difference between it and a Camaro in the horse department for obvious reasons.

And on that note, having been up close and personal with the new Camaro, it too has lines that draw from old but rather than be a dead on rip-off, really does take those best design elements and bring them into a fresh, crisp, and svelte modern persona that is just ga-ga in person. Just one of those things I couldn't stop thinking about having, staring at, and of course blasting down the highway in when I was at the invitational showing last month. It's one of the best designs GM has ever done, and I think also has just the right blend of classic & modern to keep it alive for a LONG time, and seems more thought out and artistry sculpted to me than the Challenger.

I was never a Camaro fan, for various reasons, but the new design alone has made me one--it's in a different class and caliber than the, dare I say it, ragged and low class versions it turned into in recent decades.

So, it'll be interesting to see what happens when they get released, especially since there's so many people split right down the middle into either the Challenger or Charger camp right now, but my vote goes to the Camaro.

Caddy Man
03-25-07, 02:58 PM
Both cars arent even out yet, not even a pre production model, no real official information on any of the technical aspects, and already discussion of what is better...lol.

Sandy
03-25-07, 03:52 PM
I didn't really take it as "Which is better" ~ I took it as "Which one would you buy" ? In real life...I'd probably buy neither, as they are too small for me, and I like a more comfortable car, at this stage in life. The car I like (as in would buy) is the Buick Lucerne CXL V-8 with the Cadillac NorthStar V-8 and every freaking option available. At $ 39,000 it's a good value. Hey, I ain't 22 any more. More like 60. I'd look foolish in a Top Banana Challenger R/T with bumble stripes....right?

I was just saying which car's appearance I liked better. Waaay back in the day, when I was in my twenties, in this area (New York / New Jersey) most of the guys drove Mustangs and/or Challengers/Barracudas, and if they came from $$$$ a Corvette. Most all the girls drove Firebirds & Camaros, and ALWAYS the 6 Cyl. Maybe that is why I feel more warm & fuzzy & Challenger-inclinded.

CadillacGurl
03-25-07, 04:55 PM
Probably the Camaro... I'll admit the challenger looks pretty badass but I don't think I could see me behind the wheel. I've liked the older camaros from seeing them in person so I guess that why I'm intrigued by the 2009.
http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Chevrolet-Camaro-Concept-Re.jpg

Spyder
03-25-07, 05:29 PM
Sandy...no, I think a Top Banana R/T would fit you just perfectly...

:)

I'll take Plum Crazy.

90Brougham350
03-25-07, 06:43 PM
It's a very tough choice. Both are awesome cars in their own right, but I would probably chose the Camaro. It looks sharp, literally, to me. And I'd have to agree with Mike on the LSx engine argument, that would probably be the biggest reason to buy the Camaro.

lawfive
03-25-07, 07:32 PM
Challenger all the way. As the CTS-v guys know, I've lusted after a Challenger since high school.

As far as engine support: I wouldn't need much more than the bolt-on blower kit they're putting on the SRT-8 6.1L hemi engine. 500 rwhp; 507 rwtq.

It would be nice, though, if in year two they stuffed the 6.4L race hemi in there.

All that said: I won't be able to decide if the Challenger is for me until I see and drive the new CTS-v. I could easily see myself winding up with two Vs: A 500+ hp, automatic, fully stock 2009 for the "Mr. Mature & Respectable" weekdays, and my 2005 with a madman rear end and a 427 stroker for the weekends.

DopeStar 156
03-25-07, 08:13 PM
I'm already picking out colors and accessories for my Camaro.....

Sandy
03-25-07, 08:53 PM
As of right now, evenly split down the middle. 7 for Challenger & 7 for Camaro

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-07, 09:08 PM
I think the Challenger is better looking (hate the grille on the Camaro) but the Camaro has a better drivetrain, plus, I'm more of a Chevy guy anyways, so I'd probably tolerate the grille and go with the Camaro. But to tell ya the truth, out of all the pony cars, I like the Firebirds the most.

LS1Mike
03-25-07, 10:13 PM
The Hemi isn't really a Hemi, Good job on Ma Mopar for marketing though.

ShadowLvr400
03-25-07, 11:01 PM
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/01/detroitconcepts/image/1challengernew.jpg

I like the potential of what the Challenger can look like more than any of the aftermarket stuff for the Camaro's plans.

(And 450 now? Last I heard, 400.)

However, I would actually prefer a redone and updated lead sled Charger from 1969. But it's bedtime, I'll hunt down a pic later.

Jonas McFeely
03-26-07, 07:47 AM
As much as i hate Chrysler products and love GM,based on looks and interiors,The Challenger looks like a finly sculpted piece of art and camaro looks like that that thing in the russian canned fish thread.

RightTurn
03-26-07, 08:52 AM
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/01/detroitconcepts/image/1challengernew.jpg

:drool:

85Evergreen--lmao!!

Sandy
03-26-07, 09:49 AM
Wise Sage of Sage Green Caddy, why to you hate Chrysler products? I was raised on them. 22 consecutive Imperials, then I bought a Charger, and then went to work selling for a Dodge dealer. Family never had car troubles, I made a decent living selling them and have a fondness for them, where you have a hate. Life's funny, ain't it? I've owned Chryslers, Dodges, Imperials. Never had a Plymouth. Never had a "bad" car. When the Imperial ended (1978) family switched to Cadillacs, as did I, and in 1998 I went Lincoln, only because my local Caddy dealer went out of business and the next closest one is 33 miles away, and the Lincoln dealer is 7 miles away. More convenient.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-07, 10:20 AM
Yeah Sandy, but you experienced the good Chrysler products. Evergreen and I are roughly the same age, and we've grown up seeing allthe crappy Chryslers from the 80's forward. Many of my favorite cars from the '60s and early '70s are Chrysler products...let's see here, off the top of my head: 68-70 Charger R/T (my favorite muscle car of all time), 70-71 Challenger R/T, 70-71 'Cuda, 68-70 GTX, 69 Dodge Charger Daytona, 70 Superbird, 67 Imperial Lebaron, 70-73 Imperial Lebaron, 74 (was that the year they switched to the new body style?)-75 Imperial, 76-78 (was '78 the last year for the huge Chrysler full size sedans?) New Yorker Brougham. All great cars made in the '60s and '70s, not to mention the 1957-59 Mopars, great few years there, and then the 60-61 Chrysler 300F and 300G. Chrysler IMO was doing a great job back then, and ever since about 1980 or so, they've been building cars that are mediocre at best IMO. Lemme think of the post 1980 Chryslers that I really like...... '81-83 Imperial, 94-97 LHS....that's all.

Jonas McFeely
03-26-07, 10:23 AM
Wise Sage of Sage Green Caddy, why to you hate Chrysler products? I was raised on them. 22 consecutive Imperials, then I bought a Charger, and then went to work selling for a Dodge dealer. Family never had car troubles, I made a decent living selling them and have a fondness for them, where you have a hate. Life's funny, ain't it? I've owned Chryslers, Dodges, Imperials. Never had a Plymouth. Never had a "bad" car. When the Imperial ended (1978) family switched to Cadillacs, as did I, and in 1998 I went Lincoln, only because my local Caddy dealer went out of business and the next closest one is 33 miles away, and the Lincoln dealer is 7 miles away. More convenient.

Oddly enough,i have an interview with Courtesy Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge today.But I'd say its a dislike more than a hatred.I get most my opinions from first hand experience.When i worked at the car auction, three brands gave us trouble consistantly without fail: Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth, BMW and Volkswagen.Those 3 companys always gave us shit. There was ALWAYS something very wrong with them.Volkswagens more so than any other.I dont know what it is.Maybe its something in the gas here in Orlando...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-07, 10:24 AM
Evergreen Brougham, where you been man? It's been like a year!

Jonas McFeely
03-26-07, 10:31 AM
Evergreen Brougham, where you been man? It's been like a year!

Homeless,then had a place with no internet,then homeless again.Now im ballin status again.I have a sweet 2 bedroom with a lake view and cable interweb on the 1st floor,and my Brougham is running better than ever.Life was shitty for awhile but now things are going great.Im glad to be back.

Spyder
03-26-07, 11:20 AM
That photochop of the new challenger looks great...

'cept that's a 'Cuda grill!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-07, 01:31 PM
Homeless,then had a place with no internet,then homeless again.Now im ballin status again.I have a sweet 2 bedroom with a lake view and cable interweb on the 1st floor,and my Brougham is running better than ever.Life was shitty for awhile but now things are going great.Im glad to be back.

Good to have ya back! You'll see much has changed since you've left, but much is the same.

danbuc
03-26-07, 07:33 PM
Camaro...

As much as I like the way the Challenger looks, I like the Camaro just as much. It has grown on me since the first time I saw the concept drawing. It just jumps at you. As other's have said too, the drive-train is a big BIG selling point as well for me. I've never really been a big Chrysler fan to boot...Mainly cause I'm a GM fanatic...(not counting my old '66 Stang or my Step Dad's '63 Merc). Anyway...I bet that the base v8 model with have the LS2. I'm sure the Z/28 and SS variants with have higher output engines. After all...they did have Camaro's that were as powerful as Corvettes back in the day. I could easily see an LS7 stuffed into a 2010 Camaro SS with a 6spd. Give the Z/28 the LS2, but with a handling package...say, bigger front brakes, heavy duty sway bars,..ect. You know, the same crap they used to do. I can't really see them making a Camaro with only 400hp for the top of the line model. People would riot in the streets. I know I would...

70eldo
03-27-07, 05:07 AM
I like the retro look on both. I think the Camaro has a better look for the future. I hate the interior of the challenger. They cant get a dashboard right at chrysler. Just like the 300c where you can see the reflection of the dash clocks in the side window at night. Dumb design... I see the same flaw in the challenger. It looks cheap.

I have the Camaro on option in 2009 or 2010 when I need to swap my 06 CTS. We'll see what the real numbers will be when the Camaro comes out.

LS1Mike
03-27-07, 09:23 AM
Camaro...

After all...they did have Camaro's that were as powerful as Corvettes back in the day.

I hope you mean 1998 and up too. Most LS1 F-bodies and LS1 C5s all dynoed within 10 to 15 Hp of each other.

CIWS
03-27-07, 09:48 AM
Taken at the Dallas Auto Show, Mar 17.

http://www.ciws.info/800camaro.jpg

ShadowLvr400
03-27-07, 10:20 AM
That photochop of the new challenger looks great...

'cept that's a 'Cuda grill!

It's the concept modifications that a company put out when they saw the new Challenger. Basically, when Dodge builds it, this companny will turn it into that.

lawfive
03-27-07, 10:36 AM

I like the potential of what the Challenger can look like more than any of the aftermarket stuff for the Camaro's plans.

Okay, if somebody did THAT to it I'd HAVE to have one. Minus the now redundant hood locks, of course. It'd just be a question of black or charcoal gray.

However, I would actually prefer a redone and updated lead sled Charger from 1969. But it's bedtime, I'll hunt down a pic later.

That's what I said! :highfive: If they'd done the new Charger like that, they wouldn't be sitting on the dealer lots right now.

Spyder
03-27-07, 12:07 PM
IIIIIII for one would HAVE to have the hood pins ON my Challenger! :)

AlBundy
03-27-07, 09:41 PM
Looks kinda familiar(camaro) don't it.
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/ALBUNDY2006/Mustang_Giugiaro_Concept.jpg

CadillacSTS42005
03-27-07, 10:00 PM
ewww
that stang is fugly

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-07, 10:09 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/ALBUNDY2006/Mustang_Giugiaro_Concept.jpg

Giugario.

lawfive
03-28-07, 10:39 AM
ewww
that stang is fugly

There's no Mustang in this thread, Jay. Are you talking about the Camaro picture, the other Camaro picture, or the Cudallenger picture?

Spyder
03-28-07, 11:17 AM
I dunno lawfive, I sure thought that was a mustang right there above your head! :)

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-07, 11:29 AM

THAT is a Mustang....

XXL-VETE
03-28-07, 11:39 AM
Challenger for me !!! that thing looks SICK !!! GM has let me down on there new cars for so long and putting there focus on the COBALT; forget it! to little to late. And Iíve had to sue them 3 times over warranty problems that they wouldnít fix. I won all 3 times. AND; to be perfectly honest; Iíll believe it when I see itÖ I bet it gets canned before it makes it to the assembly line. Iíve been a loyal GM man for 30 years and with 10 in the stable youíd think they would care whether Iím happy or not.. they didnít; thatís why I had to sue them .. Yep .. it will be a Challenger for me, in Plumb Crazy Purple if they offer it :D
Kenny

Both lowered ( http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=001395#000000) 17Ē wheels on mine 18Ē wheels on hers
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e153/XXL-VETE/caddysig.jpg
HOME PAGE (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/760486)

AlBundy
03-28-07, 12:03 PM
Blasphemy.

Spyder
03-28-07, 12:09 PM
Gezundheit.

danbuc
03-28-07, 05:39 PM
I hope you mean 1998 and up too. Most LS1 F-bodies and LS1 C5s all dynoed within 10 to 15 Hp of each other.

Forgot about the late model f-bodies and C5's. Was focusing more on older models, since we were on the subject of "retro" and what not. Thank's for picking up the slack there...:highfive:

LS1Mike
03-28-07, 06:46 PM
I must be the resident 4th Gen/F-body nut hanger here.

90Brougham350
03-28-07, 10:58 PM
I must be the resident 4th Gen/F-body nut hanger here.

And we're damn-glad to have ya!

Sandy
03-29-07, 09:28 AM
I sure wish AMC would return, so that I could get a Javelin Can Am 390 with bolt-on Supercharger and 4:11 gears and have some fun, too. Make it the Trans Am model in Plum Crazy ('Ya, they had it, too!)

Spyder
03-29-07, 10:11 AM
I would want one of the Big Bad AMX's, Airless Spare and all, with the production number on the dash!