: Rear Wheel Skirts

70coupedeville
04-25-03, 04:02 AM
For lack of a better term, (I don't know if there is an official name for them) I've noticed that some of the '94-'99 Devilles and/or '94-'96 Fleetwoods have what I would call skirts over the rear wheels. My '70 Coupe has them. Was that an option or did it only come on certain models for certain years or some combo of both of those?

Likewise, I've noticed that some years of the later Fleetwoods had the chrome lower siding all the way around the car. Is that a Fleetwood only feature? It looks slick. I think it's a shame they left it off the later Limiteds.

Katshot
04-25-03, 08:20 AM
All '93-'96 Fleetwood had removable "skirts", and lower "chrome" moldings. Not an option.
The Deville's Removable "skirts" were on the Concours only as I recall.

Andrew60SP
04-26-03, 04:24 AM
The '94-96 Devilles had the partially covered rear wheels, but the Concours had the removable skirts that extended it lower. The '97-'99 Devilles didn't have skirts from the factory.

I'm a fan of the skirts, but I'm a bit bias. :D

Ralph
04-27-03, 01:26 AM
My '91 Fleetwood has the skirts, as well as the chrome all around and along the side. I think they are very distinctive as they differentiate a Deville from a more expensive Fleetwood (of that time).

70coupedeville
05-08-03, 08:12 AM
I sent an e-mail to "Superior Coaches," who did the conversion on my 99 Fleetwood and in response to the skirts he wrote:

The 1998-1999 units did have a fender skirt option. However, these are no longer available.

What a bummer. I think Ralph said it best with:

I think they are very distinctive

Ralph
05-13-03, 01:24 AM
Yeah, the skirts are the only quick way I can tell at a glance if I am looking at a Fleet, or a Deville. I think I see about 10 Devilles for 1 or 2 Fleetwoods. (89 to 93 style of course.)

Ralph
05-24-03, 03:12 AM
I noticed that when I was at the wand car wash, it is really hard to wash out the salt from above inside the rear tires because of the skirts. I saw an old 70's Caddy, rusted out bad especially above the rear wheels. I would not want to have to remove the skirts every time at the car wash, and fortunately it was only once when I got it that I had some road salt on it! I will never winter drive it but I had to when I took delivery in Feb.

Sevillius
05-24-03, 07:27 PM
If anyone wants a set of skirts from a 91 Fleetwood, let me know.
I'm not in the parts for sale business but I do have these.

Paul

Ralph
05-25-03, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Sevillius
If anyone wants a set of skirts from a 91 Fleetwood, let me know.
I'm not in the parts for sale business but I do have these.

Paul

Curious, in what color. I've heard that some skirts were bad for warping, don't know if it's true though.

Sevillius
05-27-03, 07:56 PM
These are white ones. The owner of the car is going to junk it soon, and asked me if I wanted anything off the car. I took the skirts and the center caps. I would like to go back and get the taillights, to install on my 55 Ford panel truck.

He drove the heck out of the Fleetwood; he is from Ontario, about 150 NE of Toronto. He's living in Virginia now; married a local confederate.

Too much rambling, but since it's always raining out, what the heck!

Paul

Sevillius
05-27-03, 07:57 PM
PS: Since these skirts were on the car, and came off easily, they don't seem to be warped. The latch mechanism needs to be WD40d some though. Let me find the spray can and go to it!

Paul

elwesso
05-27-03, 09:03 PM
Post in the buy/sell section!!!

Night Wolf
05-27-03, 09:05 PM
What other parts does he have on it? what is worth saving?

Ralph
05-28-03, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I noticed the levers and rivet needed a little 40 as well on my skirts. PS most people from Ontario drive like that LOL.

Ralph
05-28-03, 02:48 AM
If I were you I would get all the emblems off it, the starter, alternator, or any other part that is comon for wear after thousands of miles, etc. Then maybe you can sell them and make some extra bread? What about rims, they are expensive.

70coupedeville
05-28-03, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Sevillius
He's living in Virginia now; married a local confederate.

Now THAT'S comedy! :D

Night Wolf
05-28-03, 02:59 PM
yeah, what wheels does it have? the steel wheels with covers, or the alloy ones?

Sevillius
05-31-03, 10:37 PM
Sorry...the computer crashed and I was out of commission for a few days. It has steel wheels with full covers...the centres are black and gold. I don't get to see the car very often....I'll try to get the emblems off; he is going to drive it to the junkyard, so it will be hard to remove necessary driving parts.
He has some interesting features on the Fleet, like hot "rodding" the ignition. He has piece of maybe welding rod stuck out of the top of the steering column, towards the driver. You pull it and the car starts. Why use a key?

If anyone wants to come and get it, you can probably have it.
It is in the Shenandoah Valley part of Virginia, around Harrisonburg.

Sevillius
05-31-03, 10:40 PM
He owns a stone quarry, and used it for hauling rocks around.
Why buy a pickup when you can have almost as much room in the Cad? Har

Ralph
05-31-03, 11:10 PM
Now that's what I call hauling in style!