: What's this hole in the air box for?

03-23-07, 08:40 PM
I was trying to get the serial number on my ECM today and took some pictures, what's that hole that goes nowhere for? The chamer is shaped weird on the top and the inside is empty, looks pretty useless to me.





03-23-07, 10:56 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's some kind of air resevoir that is used as a silencer to quiet down induction noise.

03-23-07, 11:04 PM
Yeah someoe on another forum told me that, it's a silencer for the air intake so it won't make a lot of noise during high revs...and I was gonna plug it :alchi:

03-27-07, 06:50 AM
Increasing the volume of air.. and having a dead air area cushion the pulses created within the intake manifold. (intake valves opening and closing)

This thing is typically called a "zip tube" here in the OEM realm. And that's all it really does.

Generally I like to hear the induction noises. But.. these cars are not really hot rods and keeping it quiet is preferable.

Besides.. nitrous is much sneaky-er and quiet. :thumbsup:


03-29-07, 02:17 PM
yea, i call it a baffle, the roadmaster intake tube had huge ones so i made a CAI for it to get str8 thru flow