: computer question

CadillacSTS42005
03-23-07, 04:29 PM
comp question for you techy guys
on the back of my lap top is an s video jack, i have an s video in on my surround sound reciever. I have the audio working through a rca cable plugged into my lap tops head phone jack, but i cannot figure out how to have the picture displayed through the s video jack
any ideas????

nickc50310
03-23-07, 04:57 PM
there should be a button to change the monitor mode on your laptop. hold down the fn key and hit the button. it is usually one of the f keys up top with a square on it. gimme a sec and ill take a pic of a laptop with my cell and post it.

im a pc tech for the state.

nickc50310
03-23-07, 05:13 PM
here doo, on these old shitty compuke laptops i had laying around the office, it was the f4 key. this should give you an idea of what to look for.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/nickc50310/lt2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/nickc50310/lt1.jpg

CadillacSTS42005
03-23-07, 05:23 PM
i can display both
the tv has a picture but its like nothing but colored line kinda like if your cable is out or the cable is loose but its not

jstein12
03-23-07, 06:10 PM
i can display both
the tv has a picture but its like nothing but colored line kinda like if your cable is out or the cable is loose but its not

Graphics card(chip) can't do it. Switch to S Video output only, and lower the resolution and refresh rate to minimal. When you're done you will not be happy with the quality.

CadillacSTS42005
03-23-07, 06:17 PM
how do i do just one screen and that screen the tv screen
it wont let me set the outsourced screen as a primary
also how would i lower the resolution?

jstein12
03-23-07, 06:25 PM
how do i do just one screen and that screen the tv screen
it wont let me set the outsourced screen as a primary
also how would i lower the resolution?

As mentioned, there should be a function key on your keyboard to toggle as such. All brands differ slightly.

Depending on your OS and graphics chip, you may find an applet in control panel to adjust as such. If not, right click on desktop - properties - settings.
Might take you to where you need to go.

Check your users manual.

slk230mb
03-23-07, 06:37 PM
You might also try updating your video card drivers. On both of my computers updating the drivers allowed me t display a clearer picture on a TV.

CadillacSTS42005
03-23-07, 06:43 PM
wow
this is all going way over my head hahaha
i have that button
i press it it turns the other screen on or off, it does not affect my screen and when the other screen is on, its all distorted.
so what do i do to fix the display?

jstein12
03-23-07, 06:48 PM
wow
this is all going way over my head hahaha
i have that button
i press it it turns the other screen on or off, it does not affect my screen and when the other screen is on, its all distorted.
so what do i do to fix the display?

Reread my reply. Go into the display's properties and play.

JC316
03-23-07, 08:46 PM
What kind of video card does it have? Both ATI and Nvidia have settings for that in the advanced display properties.

CadillacSTS42005
03-23-07, 09:02 PM
ATI 100% sure on that

railven
03-24-07, 04:53 PM
That key on your keyboard is a second function Key.

On the bottom right of your keyboard there should be a key inked in the same color as the display key. You need to either press that key first or hold it while you press the other kiey. It is usually named Fn, or something of that sort.

I'd recommend just going into your display properties as suggested, you'll get more options.