: The truth about those Toyota Tundra commercials

Jesda
03-12-07, 12:32 PM
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles....html (http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/commercial/tundra_tv1.html)

Fords in background of Toyota video

By Robert Schoenberger - rschoenberger@courier-journal.com - The Courier-Journal

It’s one of the most dramatic commercials for Toyota Motor Co.’s redesigned Tundra pickup. A truck drives up a steep seesaw, towing a heavy load and is able to stop on the way down, despite the extra weight.

Toyota is so proud of the commercial that it posted behind-the-scenes footage to its Web site. That’s where eagle-eyed Ford Motor Co. fans notice something.

Ford trucks can be seen in the background at the job site.

Calls to Toyota U.S. sales and marketing officials in California were not immediately returned this morning.

The first truck visible in the video is a Ranger pickup with a camper shell on it. The next is a Louisville-built F-Series Super Duty truck. As the video’s director watches to see if the Tundra will be able to stop, the truck in the background is another Super Duty.

The background issues underscore the challenge that Toyota faces in launching a truck in a market dominated by Ford and General Motors.

Last year, Ford President of the Americas Mark Fields underscored that issue by driving by the San Antonio, Texas, site where, at the time, Toyota was finishing the plant that builds the new Tundra. As Fields pointed out on a video posted to a Ford-run Web site, most of the trucks on the job site were Fords.

The Ford Superduty trucks were there to tow the seesaw.

Thought you might want to know this. Pass it along to your sales staff. It might help them to sell more vehicles.

BTW.....attended the Minneapolis Auto Show kick off breakfast on March 8. Two of our Sandy trainers did a nice job explaining the Tundra ads. I would guess all of you have seen the stupid ad where the Tundra pulls a trailer up a steep grade (a 'see-saw'), and then barrels down hill and locks the brakes up just before the end of the ramp. Seen it? Yeah you have.

Couple things to keep in mind. The V.O. at the beginning of the spot says...."It's tough pushing 10,000 lbs up a steep grade". Myth: Toyota would like the audience to believe the trailer is 10,000 lbs. Fact: It's a 5,000 lb truck pulling a 5,000 lb trailer. A little slight of hand? You bet.

Then, on the way down the grade, the camera zooms in on the brakes as the vehicles comes to a screeching halt just prior to the end of ramp. Next time you see the ad....look for the 'mice type'. It indicates the trailer is equipped with electric brakes. Fact....the electric brakes stop the trailer -- not the truck. A little slight of hand? You bet.

And why does Toyota have bigger brake pads? They need them....their truck is heavier. Stopping distance between our truck and theirs is virtually identical. And why does Toyota have a 6 speed transmission? To improve their fuel economy....which is still 2 mpg less than ours.

And don't forget....their big V8 has one axle ratio -- a 4.3. Suck fuel much? Our trucks offer several axle options to optimize towing and fuel economy. Bottom line: OUR TRUCK IS BETTER! Spread the word.......we can all make a difference.

Cool stunt, but not as dramatic as the lighting and music imply.

railven
03-12-07, 12:44 PM
Couple things to keep in mind. The V.O. at the beginning of the spot says...."It's tough pushing 10,000 lbs up a steep grade". Myth: Toyota would like the audience to believe the trailer is 10,000 lbs. Fact: It's a 5,000 lb truck pulling a 5,000 lb trailer. A little slight of hand? You bet.

I'd say thats more of a play on words and good marketing.

Interesting info Jesda, I feel smarter!

BUT!

I just wanted to point out having Ford trucks on the set of a Toyota commercial means nothing. Chances are the AD was filmed somewhere in the US where, due to what sales chart show us, Ford/GM own the truck market thus more likely the crew members of the production team drove in with their own Daily Driver.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-12-07, 12:46 PM
which goes to show that the domestic trucks are in fact preferred due to being able to perform the tasks necessary to meet the demands of the worker

AirJigga25
03-12-07, 02:38 PM
:thumbsup:

this is great. I'm happy to know this.

I was fooled by the commercial too because I was led to believe that the truck stopped the entire load, and I didn't know that the trailer had electric brakes. I assume a lot of other people were fooled too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-12-07, 09:10 PM
Haha, I guess you can't have a 1/2 ton do 1 ton jobs! Ironically enough, when I went to the auto show again today, I was sitting in the new Tundra, and behind me a Toyota rep was doing a demonstration in front of a group, and I heard him say "now if anyone can correctly answer this question, you'll win this free Toyota Trucks hat, so my ears perked up immediately when I heard "free hat". The question was "what are the HP and torque ratings for the new 5.7L iForce V8?" I JUMPED out of the Tundra, shot my hand up in the air and he picked me and I quickly stated that it is 381hp and 401 lb/ft, so I won the hat. :D

Which is cool because I like the new Toyota (not Lexus) trucks, but not the cars!

jrose7004
03-12-07, 11:50 PM
Well they had to have trucks that would do the job!

lawfive
03-13-07, 12:16 AM
Nice pants, Jesda! :thumbsup:

I washed my F-150 today. Nice & silver, like my CTS-v (the fastest color, by far). My truck sits outside in the sun and next to the curb lawn sprinklers, though, so it's oxidized and covered with hard water spots. :eek:

Clay bar time for Jerry.

Night Wolf
03-16-07, 01:47 PM
5,000lbs truck and 5,000lbs trailer....

sheesh, I coulda slapped a 5,000lbs trailer on the '79 and do the same thing...

electric brakes.... nice... so the truck can stop itself going down a hill.

Jon
03-23-07, 01:22 AM
Thought you might want to know this. Pass it along to your sales staff. It might help them to sell more vehicles. BTW.....attended the Minneapolis Auto Show kick off breakfast on March 8. Two of our Sandy trainers did a nice job explaining the Tundra ads. I would guess all of you have seen the stupid ad where the Tundra pulls a trailer up a steep grade (a 'see-saw'), and then barrels down hill and locks the brakes up just before the end of the ramp. Seen it? Yeah you have.

Then, on the way down the grade, the camera zooms in on the brakes as the vehicles comes to a screeching halt just prior to the end of ramp. Next time you see the ad....look for the 'mice type'. It indicates the trailer is equipped with electric brakes. Fact....the electric brakes stop the trailer -- not the truck. A little slight of hand? You bet.

And why does Toyota have bigger brake pads? They need them....their truck is heavier. Stopping distance between our truck and theirs is virtually identical. And why does Toyota have a 6 speed transmission? To improve their fuel economy....which is still 2 mpg less than ours.

And don't forget....their big V8 has one axle ratio -- a 4.3. Suck fuel much? Our trucks offer several axle options to optimize towing and fuel economy. Bottom line: OUR TRUCK IS BETTER! Spread the word.......we can all make a difference.

Threads merged by moderator

Spyder
03-23-07, 01:58 AM
Repost repost! :)

FL01SS
03-23-07, 03:11 AM
Ahhhh. I wondered what was with that commercial! I knew there was something to it. Nice post! (even if it is a repost)

Jon
03-23-07, 07:46 PM
Some things are better the 2nd time around lol j/k

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-23-07, 08:25 PM
Still though, I like the Tundras. I wouldn't buy one over a new Silverado, but I would over a Ram/F-150, maybe a Titan.