: 97 STS and EGR

gbfan10
03-24-04, 05:32 PM
Hi, I just bought my STS with 67k on it, and am already having problems. The Check engine light came on, while I was driving it back from Denver. (I don't think I have owned a car yet, that hasn't had that light come on)

So I ingored it for awhile, now the thing is running like crap, so i had the codes checked.

It came back EGR and cylinder #5 missfire. Is replacing the EGR going to resolve the missfire? Can you clean the EGR solenoid at all, or so I have to pay $140.00 for a new one.

The left window won't roll down either, the lights will dim a bit, but nothing else happens. I am assuming a bad motor?? are those hard to replace?

Thanks

Also, If I fix all those things, could I sell this thing for 11k?

gbfan10
03-24-04, 05:38 PM
after looking around the forum, I found this, and I may go check out the FPR..

"Did you take the intake top cover back off and check the fuel pressure regulator for leaking fuel out the vacuum nipple on the FPR??

If the FPR is OK then I would lift up the fuel rail so that the tip of the injectors are visible and look for drips/leaks when the fuel pump is pressurized by turning on the key to energize the fuel pump."

gbfan10
03-24-04, 09:20 PM

maydog
03-24-04, 11:00 PM
If you do plan to do anything with the egr, I would try and clean it first. From what I read, it rarely needs replacing. You may want to check you plugs and wires - even though they should be good to 100k.

Randy_W
03-24-04, 11:36 PM
Mine was doing that, I took off the egr and cleaned the pintle and seat, cured it all!

scporter
03-25-04, 10:37 AM
I replaced my passenger side window motor. It took about an hour maybe a little longer but it is easy if your mechcanically inclined.

As I recall there are two screws to remove. One is in the carpet bottom door area and one behind the plastic insert for the inside door handle. You have to rmove the switch plate and electrical connectors (the bottom door open light also) as well. Then the door panel lifts up and off. Open the wind barrier and the motor is easy to get to.

Scott

BeelzeBob
03-25-04, 01:35 PM
Hi, I just bought my STS with 67k on it, and am already having problems. The Check engine light came on, while I was driving it back from Denver. (I don't think I have owned a car yet, that hasn't had that light come on)

So I ingored it for awhile, now the thing is running like crap, so i had the codes checked.

It came back EGR and cylinder #5 missfire. Is replacing the EGR going to resolve the missfire? Can you clean the EGR solenoid at all, or so I have to pay $140.00 for a new one.

The left window won't roll down either, the lights will dim a bit, but nothing else happens. I am assuming a bad motor?? are those hard to replace?

Thanks

Also, If I fix all those things, could I sell this thing for 11k?

Just remove the EGR valve and clean the pintle, seat and shaft up inside the cast passage in the base of the valve. Deposits build up on the shaft restricting it's movement and that sets the code. When you clean it DO NOT let solvent run down the shaft (when holding the valve upside downwards...) and into the can of the valve as it will eat the insulation off the wire windings inside and ruin the valve. Just clean it thoroughtly and it will be fine. Thsoe EGR valves are very robust and 99% of the time cleaning is all that is required.

You might just clean the valve and see if the misfire code goes away. if not, then just pull that plug and check that wire. The misfire diagnostic is very very precise and robust. I wouldn't touch any other cylinders (no need for a wholesale "tuneup") unless the misfire diagnostic sets.