: Hyundai Genesis

Lord Cadillac
03-22-07, 02:23 PM
Looks like Hyundai has Lexus LS460 aspirations...

http://www.automotivemessageboard.com/images/amb_genesis.gif
http://www.automotivemessageboard.com/images/amb_genesis2.gif

Blackout
03-22-07, 05:12 PM
AUTOBLOG.COM | Posted Mar 12th 2007 6:56PM by John Neff (http://www.autoblog.com/bloggers/john-neff/)
(http://www.autoblog.com/category/hyundai/)
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/03/genesis_front34-final_450.jpg (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/hyundai-concept-genesis/)

Click above image to view two-high res renderings of the Hyundai Concept Genesis

We've collected quite an archive of posts (http://www.autoblog.com/supersearch/?q=equus&sort=date) showing you spy shots of a large V8-powered, rear-wheel drive prototype sedan from Hyundai called the Equus, for lack of an official name. Things are getting more official ahead of the New York Auto Show in early April where this car, the Concept Genesis, is slated to debut. We've just received these concept renderings of the Concept Genesis that preview what we believe will become the production large, rear-wheel drive sedan from Hyundai everyone is expecting.

The Concept Genesis is clearly a large car, bigger than Hyundai's current range-topping sedan, the front-wheel drive Azera. Overall the design is fairly simple, elegant even, with a Camry-like grille flanked by a pair of headlights the quickly retreat up the car's hood. The rear continues the classy theme with what looks like a single strip of chrome that bisects and connects the two taillights. The New York state license plate is a nice touch, too.

We know nothing more about the Concept Genesis except what we can glean from these renderings, but will be sure to bring you the full scoop from the show floor of the New York Auto Show in a few weeks.

Gallery: Hyundai Concept Genesis (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/hyundai-concept-genesis/)
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/03/genesis_rear34-final_thumbnail.jpg (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/hyundai-concept-genesis/182784/)http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/03/genesis_front34-final_thumbnail.jpg (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/hyundai-concept-genesis/182785/)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-22-07, 08:55 PM
So would this be the Peter Gabriel era Genesis or the Phil Collins era Genesis?

90Brougham350
03-23-07, 11:30 AM
I see Hyundai is working with Toyota these days, or else they'd be getting their asses sued for so blatently ripping off that grill. I smell VW Phaeton. Who the hell wants to buy a luxo-Hyundai?

Blackout
03-23-07, 12:06 PM
I see Hyundai is working with Toyota these days, or else they'd be getting their asses sued for so blatently ripping off that grill. I smell VW Phaeton. Who the hell wants to buy a luxo-Hyundai?I've been saying it for years to watch out for Hyundai. They're one of the few auto makers who's share in the market has been getting bigger while the big guys are losing market shares. I'm sure back in the early 90's people were saying the same thing about who would want to buy a luxury Nissan or Toyota and we all know how that ended up. I'm looking forward to the NYC Autoshow so I can check it out because after driving a fully loaded Azera I can only imagine as to how nice of a car this Genesis is going to be!

90Brougham350
03-23-07, 02:19 PM
I see a main difference in that Toyota launched Lexus and Nissan launched Infiniti as solely luxury brands. A Toyota LS400 wouldn't have had nearly the same penache (sp?) as the Lexus LS400 did in '89.

Lord Cadillac
03-23-07, 05:39 PM
Biiig, biiig difference between the Volkswagen Phaeton and this new Hyundai. This car will be a rear wheel drive V8 with almost all the features you see in the Mercedes S550 and Lexus LS460 for around $35k...

Can you see the difference?

I see Hyundai is working with Toyota these days, or else they'd be getting their asses sued for so blatently ripping off that grill. I smell VW Phaeton. Who the hell wants to buy a luxo-Hyundai?

Lord Cadillac
03-23-07, 05:40 PM
I've been saying it for years to watch out for Hyundai. They're one of the few auto makers who's share in the market has been getting bigger while the big guys are losing market shares. I'm sure back in the early 90's people were saying the same thing about who would want to buy a luxury Nissan or Toyota and we all know how that ended up. I'm looking forward to the NYC Autoshow so I can check it out because after driving a fully loaded Azera I can only imagine as to how nice of a car this Genesis is going to be!

You and I (and Katshot) have been saying it all along. I think around here, it's just us.. Hyundai is a serious competitor. They get better and better every year. First, the XG300/350, then the Azera (which I didn't like too much at first but it grew on me) - and now a V8 RWD with all the features a lxuury car buyer could ask for - for less than a 1990 Lexus LS400...

Lord Cadillac
03-23-07, 05:42 PM
I see a main difference in that Toyota launched Lexus and Nissan launched Infiniti as solely luxury brands. A Toyota LS400 wouldn't have had nearly the same penache (sp?) as the Lexus LS400 did in '89.

You're right and I do believe this will hurt sales.. But, the car will still sell.. However, like you mentioned... Do you think Lexus LS460 owners want to be in the same showroom as 17 year old kids jumping around like monkeys calling each other "Biznatches"? It's not only the showroom. What happens when you need service? Do you think this high-brow six figure executive wants to sit next to some pimply 16 year old jerkoff with his pants around his ankles while he's waiting?

The car is going to sell big-time, but it would actually steal a LOT of sales from Lexus and Mercedes if it wasn't called a Hyundai...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-07, 12:55 PM
I gotta wonder if Hyundai is planning to do the same thing Mazda was planning on doing but never did...launching a seperate luxury division. Mazda had their 929 which gave them credibility in that field, and they were planning to launch their Millenia as the head of their luxury division called "Amanti" (or was it "Amati"?), but for whatever reason (and I'm sure Jesda knows) Mazda killed that idea and sold the Millenia as their flagship.

Blackout
03-25-07, 07:59 PM
I gotta wonder if Hyundai is planning to do the same thing Mazda was planning on doing but never did...launching a seperate luxury division. Mazda had their 929 which gave them credibility in that field, and they were planning to launch their Millenia as the head of their luxury division called "Amanti" (or was it "Amati"?), but for whatever reason (and I'm sure Jesda knows) Mazda killed that idea and sold the Millenia as their flagship.Hyundai was looking to make a separate luxury division back when there were rumblings about Ford selling Jaguar and Hyundai was looking to buy Jaguar off of Ford

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-07, 09:50 PM
Hmmmm... that would be odd, a Korean owned Jaguar.

parexa
03-26-07, 12:40 PM
Car pics are out, IMO it looks stunning, but they have copied the Lexus
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0703_2007_hyundai_genesis_concept/

Blackout
03-26-07, 12:42 PM
Car pics are out, IMO it looks stunning, but they have copied the Lexus
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0703_2007_hyundai_genesis_concept/
I think I'm in love!

Horsepower will be "well over 300," pricing will start "well under $30,000," and 0-to-60 mph will be achieved in "well under six seconds." Those claims should be well within reach. The new engine, known at the Tau, is a 32-valve unit that Hyundai claims has been designed with the future in mind. That means the Tau is ready for larger displacements, forced induction, and other technologies.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-07, 02:47 PM
I like the overall design, but the front end looks a bit too much like the '07 Camry..

Anyways, this just goes to show how potent Hyundai is in the current marketplace. Watch out Lexus!

Lord Cadillac
03-26-07, 03:39 PM
I think I'm in love!

Horsepower will be "well over 300," pricing will start "well under $30,000," and 0-to-60 mph will be achieved in "well under six seconds." It'll come with adaptive cruise control, push-button start, and high-intensity discharge headlamps. Also available will be heated and cooled seats, navigation, bluetooth, and an Infinity surround sound stereo.

I may be getting a garage soon... I think I'll take one. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Genesis becomes Hyundai's luxury brand name...

90Brougham350
03-26-07, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately that script looks like it was drawn in a 7th-grader's notebook. Still, I'm shocked Hyundai has decided to build a vehicle of this caliber, I respect them for really going after their goals. They've got seeds, to go after the big players.

Lord Cadillac
03-26-07, 04:46 PM
Just to give you an idea on how serious they are - this isn't even their top model. This new "Genesis" replaced their "Dynasty" and sits betwen the Azera and the Equus... The Equus is their top of the line model - which will be here eventually...

They tried going a little, tiny-bit upscale with their old Sonata (the Jaguar lookalike). It sold well. So, they tried a bit harder and came out with the XG300/350. That sold pretty well. Next they experimented (with our market) a little more and sold the Azera. I'm guessing that depending on how well the Genesis sells, the Equus is next.. Honestly, I think this car will sell Very well...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-07, 05:30 PM
300hp, RWD, and the features to compete with the E Class for under $30,000?! Holy shit! Where can I sign up?! This will sell *very* well!

Lord Cadillac
03-26-07, 06:18 PM
Not considering a vehicle like this because it's a Hyundai is like not considering Miss America because she was a nerd as a child...

Lord Cadillac
03-26-07, 06:19 PM
300hp, RWD, and the features to compete with the E Class for under $30,000?! Holy shit! Where can I sign up?! This will sell *very* well!
And on top of all that, it's a very nice looking vehicle...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-07, 06:40 PM
Was it always Hyundai's mission to be the value leader?

Lord Cadillac
03-27-07, 08:37 AM
I believe so...

The funny thing is... This isn't even their top of the line car. The Equus will be here in a few years - and that's Hyundai's flagship...

This car's competition is the Lexus GS, Chrysler 300, Infiniti M, BMW 5-Series and Cadillac CTS. The Equus will take on the Mercedes S-Class, Lexus LS, BMW 7-Series, Audi A8, etcetera... And if you've seen what the Equus looks like, you might believe it WILL be competitive...

Another interesting fact, is... When the production version of the Genesis launches next year, Hyundai will be a player in a sector that Toyota took 15 years longer to enter.

parexa
03-27-07, 11:06 AM
I would buy one too, if only they took Hyundai badge off mine

Blackout
03-27-07, 03:47 PM
I would buy one too, if only they took Hyundai badge off mineI just really don't get this logic at all. So if they take the Hyundai badges off is that going to make it any better of a car? With as much stuff as this thing as for the price you can't find that kinda deal anywhere else especially since it will also come with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

Lord Cadillac
03-27-07, 04:06 PM
TECHNOLOGY

Advanced adaptive cruise control
Electronic Stability Control
Eight airbags
Heat / cool seats
High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with adaptive leveling
Push-button start
Navigation with backup camera
Electric parking brake
Bluetooth technology
USB / Auxiliary input jack
HD Radio™ Receiver
XM Satellite Radio®
Infinity® Discrete Surround Audio System
GENESIS PREMIUM SPORTS SEDAN SPECIFICATIONS

Configuration: FR Engine RWD Sport Sedan
Wheelbase: 2935 mm / 115.6 inches
Overall length: 5005 mm / 197.0 inches
Overall width: 1863 mm / 73.3 inches
Overall height: 1490 mm / 58.7 inches
Track, f/r: 1575 mm / 62.0 inches, 1580 mm / 62.2 inches
Wheels: 20-inch multi-spoke
Engine type: V8
Estimated horsepower: Well over 300HP
Estimated torque: Over 300 lb. ft.
Displacement: 4,627 cc
Block material: High pressure die casting aluminum block
Cylinder head material: Aluminum
Valvetrain: Dual Over Head Cam (DOHC)
Valve timing: Continuous variable valve timing
Variable induction system
Fuel delivery: Multi-port fuel injection
Bore & stroke: 92 x 87
Estimated 0-60 mph: well under 6.0 seconds
Top speed: 130 mph (restricted)
Recommended fuel: Unleaded
Transmission type: ZF 6-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC manual control
Suspension: Front multi-link (5-link) / Rear multi-link (5-link)
Stabilizer bar (front/rear): 26 mm/18 mm
Weight distribution front to rear: 53:47 Brakes: Power-assisted 4-wheel disc
Front brake diameter (mm / in): 320 / 12.6 ventilated disc
Rear brake diameter (mm / in): 314 / 12.4 solid disc
Steering type: Speed-sensing rack-and-pinion
Steering ratio: 14.86

Blackout
03-27-07, 05:04 PM
God I wish I could afford one of these when they come out!!

parexa
03-27-07, 05:04 PM
I sure would feel better if people think its a Lexus. Because I can't find a cheaper crap than Hyundai in here, you can make it as good as benz for half the price but its still a Hyundai.

I just really don't get this logic at all. So if they take the Hyundai badges off is that going to make it any better of a car? With as much stuff as this thing as for the price you can't find that kinda deal anywhere else especially since it will also come with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

parexa
03-27-07, 05:16 PM
And I'm not talking about changing badges here. I'm saying that although a blown camaro is faster than a lambo, I still want lambo. The fact that most hyundais are little shopping carts with 13 inch rims and a engine smaller than a bottle of soda really annoys me and yes people WILL notice its a cheap wannabe mercedes.

Blackout
03-27-07, 05:43 PM
And I'm not talking about changing badges here. I'm saying that although a blown camaro is faster than a lambo, I still want lambo. The fact that most hyundais are little shopping carts with 13 inch rims and a engine smaller than a bottle of soda really annoys me and yes people WILL notice its a cheap wannabe mercedes.So what? This car has basically every option as a $100k XLR-V and your going to complain that people will think it's a wannabe Benz? At this point your just complaining about anything you can possibly think of. Would I really care if I pull up next to a Benz with this thing and when you compare them option wise to each other the Hyundai would be a fraction of the cost and smoke the Benz in a race at the same time.

Blackout
03-27-07, 05:47 PM
To give you an idea as to how good of a deal this car will be to compare it to a Benz (since you wanted to compare the two.) The cheapest you can get into a Benz sedan with 300+ hp is with an E550 which starts out at $59,775

EDIT: After building my own E550 with similar options to the Hyundai it would cost me $69,232

parexa
03-27-07, 06:09 PM
You work in a Hyundai dealership right. lol :horse:

Anyway lets see when the car actually comes out, I havent even seen the interior pics yet. The exterior looks terrific and the car is so affordable which is unbelieveable. Its gonna be a popular car for sure!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-07, 11:11 PM
I wonder if this car will suffer the same lack of sales as the VW Phaeton due to the lack of a luxury badge on a luxury car???

90Brougham350
03-28-07, 12:43 AM
I wonder if this car will suffer the same lack of sales as the VW Phaeton due to the lack of a luxury badge on a luxury car???

I'm sure it will. Look at the Hyundais you see on the road now, all driven by 23-year old women, missing trim pieces and hubcaps. As great of a car this Genesis might be, it's still got public perception fighting it. Even if people recognize the leaps and bounds Hyundai has made regarding quality over the last decade, people are still gonna think of Hyundais as econoboxes. It's going to be hard for Hyundai to promote any sort luxury vehicle under the name of Hyundai.

Wiseguy2
03-28-07, 01:00 AM
Not considering a vehicle like this because it's a Hyundai is like not considering Miss America because she was a nerd as a child...

Yep, but people will. It's Human nature. The Phaeton is a great car, but it sold about as well as Heroin at a Monastery. Hyundai is doing quite well here and very rapidly improving their image, but even Toyota can't sell a luxury car that says Toyota on it, that's why they created Lexus and dropped the Cressida. Heck, why did GM drop the Omega (Catera) and not replace it? Because no matter how good it may have been (It wasn't competitive anymore.. but that's not the only reason) people aren't going to buy a Luxury car with a proletariat badge on it.

And I'm not talking about changing badges here. I'm saying that although a blown camaro is faster than a lambo, I still want lambo. The fact that most hyundais are little shopping carts with 13 inch rims and a engine smaller than a bottle of soda really annoys me and yes people WILL notice its a cheap wannabe mercedes.

Yes but a Lamborghini does many things better than any Camaro ;)

Absolutely it will. Let's think of a few cars here...

Mazda Millenia
Mitsubishi Diamante
Toyota Cressida
VW Phaeton

And look at a bunch of other cars worldwide...

Fiat Croma
Vauxhall/Opel Senator and Omega
Ford Scorpio
Citroen XM
Renault 25 (IIRC)
Honda Legend (Sells/Sold terribly in Europe)

Of those, only the Legend is still sold. Ford, GM, Fiat, Citroen, Renault..etc.. they all killed off their luxury car programs. Peugeot still makes the 607.. it is almost a joke. It's a nice car, but sells basically to French Government bigwigs and, umm... that's about it.

This car is going to have horiffic resale value and be a niche product at best. But I think that Hyundai expects that. They certainly have the capabilities to compete in the market, but they need to create a Luxury Brand to do so.

This is coming from a Former New car dealer. If I had a Hyundai store (And I am kicking myself for not buying one on the cheap in 2000......) I'd not be too excited about this car.

All that being said, it's a nice looking car.. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see glowing reviews on it.

Lord Cadillac
03-28-07, 08:57 AM

I ask myself the same question but at the same time, I wonder if Hyundai feels they can do it better than Toyota, Nissan and Honda did.. If I'm not mistaken, Toyota just came out with BANG! Lexus! And it was better than any Toyota.. Hyundai has been improving slowly over time - and maybe they feel they can be in a better position, financially, without creating a new brand.

Think about it. First the Sonata (looked like a Jaguar). Next came the XG300/350 (unique, luxurious and inexpensive). Then came the Azera - very luxurious, lots of options and again, inexpensive.. Now we're about to see something TWO steps up with a long list of luxurious features, V8 power, RWD and again, inexpensive.. Slowly but surely, people are seeing Hyundai in a different light.

When this Genesis comes along - people aren't going to think of Hyundai as "cheap". That word will change to "Inexpensive" - heated and cooled seats, navigation with backup camera, advanced adaptive cruise control, High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with adaptive leveling, bluetooth - and the list goes on...

Hyundai will be held in much higher regards than Toyota was when Lexus came around....

Then, the Equus will be coming around. A huge car with even more options, more power (probably forced induction) and probably right on par with the Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7-Series and Lexus LS460.

Will Hyundai lose sales because of the Hyundai badge being on these cars? Yes.. BUT... They'll lose a LOT FEWER sales than Toyota would have had they used the Toyota badge on the LS400...

What I'm saying is, Hyundai may lose sales - but will still sell A LOT -AND- will not have to recover the costs of creating a separate brand... I think this is their plan and it's not a bad one...

Lord Cadillac
03-28-07, 09:07 AM
Wiseguy2. We shouldn't compare with Phaeton with anything Hyundai is doing. Hyundai sells all it's cars at Hyundai prices. Volkswagen didn't sell the Phaeton at Volkswagen prices. That's the biggest reason it failed.

If Hyundai was selling the Genesis at Lexus GS and Mercedes E-Class prices, it would fail miserably. However, starting well below $30k makes all the difference...

Comparing them to Mitsubishi and Mazda might make more sense - but like I said in the post above - Hyundai has made drastic improvements - slowly... They're not a red-headed step-child who throws on a blond wig saying, "Look! Here I am!" like the Millenia and Diamante..

Personally, I feel the Azera was more feature-rich and aligned with the competition than the Millenia and Diamante was.. And I feel the Genesis will be the same way.. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the Azera has made a bigger mark on the industry than the Millenia and Diamante did... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Blackout
03-28-07, 10:39 AM
Well (to me at least) that there are huge differences between the Phateon and the Genesis. VW really didn't have much of a reason to make the Phateon IMO. They already have a luxury division in Audi so I thought it was kinda weird for them to do it but on top of it the car started out over $60k and pricing went over $100k depending on how you option it out. So VW was trying to sell a VW for more then any of the cars in their Audi lineup. Hyundai on the other hand doesn't have a luxury division and with the Genesis having luxury features and Hyundai trying to establish themselves in a more upscale car market shouldn't have a problem with selling this car for under $30k. I mean take a look at the RWD V8 sedan market here in the US. Basically Chrysler/Dodge are your cheapest choices to getting in a RWD sedan and both of them start over $30k and those are for the base models. The cheaper of the two (Charger and 300C) the Charger is the cheaper of the two and if you fully option the car out it costs damn near $36k and it still doesn't even have most of the option the Genesis will have. So basically Hyundai has the ultimae in RWD sedans in their hands. As long as they market the car right and have plenty of advertising for it they should have a huge success in their hands.

MachX
04-21-07, 01:34 AM
There's one prime reason Hyundai is able to make such huge advances in their cars. The average korean worker makes a fraction of what a north american worker does. And they get the benefit of selling their cars at american prices. That leaves them with oodles of development dollars. The Kia Amanti is a prime example of a nice two ton luxury cruiser at half the price of a DTS or Town Car. Yes it is V6 powered, but it's still a helluva lot of nice machine for the money. And add in that fat 100k mile/10 year warranty to boot!

omarg
05-17-07, 01:32 AM
that new genesis looks sweet. I smell a luxury revolution a la lexus ls400.

hell, i like the azera. I like the conservative look.