: Low Refrigerant Msg: 2 or 3 cans?

Henrik
03-24-04, 04:20 PM
To avoid "very low refrigerant" messages on my display, I decided to read up on this in the excellent Cadillac forums. I then invested a few $s in a R-134a Retrofit, Charging and Measuring kit (Wal-mart: id interdynamics). To get the A/C pressure in to the "filled" blue zone on the manometer I had to add all 3 15 oz. cans. The system now works fine, the A/C blows cold and the message disappeared. Following the operation I came across a few websites where it is suggested to NEVER add more than 2 cans. Can someone please tell me whether I blew it or whether what I did was acceptable. Looking forward to the verdict and thanks in advance.

BeelzeBob
03-24-04, 04:59 PM
To avoid "very low refrigerant" messages on my display, I decided to read up on this in the excellent Cadillac forums. I then invested a few $s in a R-134a Retrofit, Charging and Measuring kit (Wal-mart: id interdynamics). To get the A/C pressure in to the "filled" blue zone on the manometer I had to add all 3 15 oz. cans. The system now works fine, the A/C blows cold and the message disappeared. Following the operation I came across a few websites where it is suggested to NEVER add more than 2 cans. Can someone please tell me whether I blew it or whether what I did was acceptable. Looking forward to the verdict and thanks in advance.

You have a 95 as I recall...???? So you just added R134a to your system that already had R134a in it, correct.??? You didn't "retrofit" an R12 system to R134a...???

If you just added and the system is operating fine then you are probably fine. You would have to add several MORE cans of R134a to seriously overfill the system. Drive it and enjoy it and quite worrying. If it does develop too high a head pressure due to overfilling in very hot weather then the system will not be harmed...it will either vent or shut down the AC and set a code. Since the "low refrigerant" message was displayed the system was pretty low and it would have taken at least two cans to get it back to normal. There is a lot of leeway in the system fill volumes...one extra can will not push it over the edge.

Henrik
03-24-04, 05:21 PM
Thanks bbobynski, you are right (as is normally the case), I merely added r-134a refrigerant to my 95 ETC (born with r-134a if I am not mistaken). I have decided to stop worrying (until the msg pops up again 8=)).

BeelzeBob
03-25-04, 01:51 PM
Thanks bbobynski, you are right (as is normally the case), I merely added r-134a refrigerant to my 95 ETC (born with r-134a if I am not mistaken). I have decided to stop worrying (until the msg pops up again 8=)).

When/if the message shows up again just pop 2 cans in. R134a seems to leak down a little faster over time so it is not unusual to have to tune up the system every other year or so with a refrigerant add. You have the hose and adapter now so it is only a couple of $$$ to top off the charge.