: Northstar head gasket parts.

96Caddy
03-24-04, 02:01 PM
Does anyone know what exactly I would need to buy and how much everything would cost. I found a mechanic who is going to fix my car. It's a 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville with a leak in the head gasket, but there isn't any water in the oil. Well anyways I want some advice on what I should replace since he's taking the engine out. I also never got the 90k mile service. Anyone have any ideas??

dloch
03-24-04, 02:50 PM
Does anyone know what exactly I would need to buy and how much everything would cost. I found a mechanic who is going to fix my car. It's a 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville with a leak in the head gasket, but there isn't any water in the oil. Well anyways I want some advice on what I should replace since he's taking the engine out. I also never got the 90k mile service. Anyone have any ideas??
Has he ever done a NorthStar? If he has then he may already have the Timesert Kit. If he hasn't you are going to need it. I do have a list of things you may or may not need depending on how far you are going to get into this project.

BeelzeBob
03-24-04, 02:51 PM

You'll need the factory head gaskets with new head bolts and, most likely, the timesert kit to timesert the head bolt holes in the block.

Lots of info on this in the archives....search using the site search feature using "head gasket" , "timesert" , etc...

96caddie
03-24-04, 03:41 PM
i had the same problem with my seville, no water in the oil, and overheating, losing coolant somewhere and not seeing a leak? make sure the blocks not cracked cause mine was.:disappoin

my_bro
03-24-04, 06:25 PM
All the gaskets were under $300. from Cadi dealer. The timesert kit and 10 extra timeserts was also under $300. Be sure to pick up any squeaky pulleys while you're at it.

BeelzeBob
03-25-04, 02:43 PM
i had the same problem with my seville, no water in the oil, and overheating, losing coolant somewhere and not seeing a leak? make sure the blocks not cracked cause mine was.:disappoin

Where was the block cracked???

96Caddy
03-27-04, 11:53 AM
Anyone know a way to pull the engine out to fix the gaskets? My mechanic just called and said he can't do it without a lift, because he needs to drop the engine out through the bottom. Anyone have any ideas???? Are there portable lifts/anything that will work??

Any info. or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

zonie77
03-27-04, 12:20 PM
http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052

growe3
03-27-04, 02:11 PM
I pulled mine from the top. See thread below for some of the commentary.

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=61237#post61237

Attached is a partial parts list for the 93 STS I am doing right now.

BeelzeBob
03-27-04, 09:43 PM
Anyone know a way to pull the engine out to fix the gaskets? My mechanic just called and said he can't do it without a lift, because he needs to drop the engine out through the bottom. Anyone have any ideas???? Are there portable lifts/anything that will work??

Any info. or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It is admittedly more difficult but the job can be done with the engine in the car....

96Caddy
03-29-04, 08:34 PM
I just found a shop in my area that can do it for $2500. Does this sound like a good deal? Every other shop told me at least $4000, this seems to good to be true to me. The guy at the shop sounded like he knew what he was doing.

Does that price sound too good to be true to anyone else??? $1200 labor and the rest is parts.

zonie77
03-29-04, 09:30 PM
It sounds a little too low but if he's not busy he will still make some money on it. He's better to be busy making 70% of his usual rate than playing solitare. Someone with access to the flat rate times could tell us what the estimated time is.

Is he including timeserting?? Timeserting is another 5-7 hours.

dloch
03-29-04, 10:58 PM
It sounds a little too low but if he's not busy he will still make some money on it. He's better to be busy making 70% of his usual rate than playing solitare. Someone with access to the flat rate times could tell us what the estimated time is.

Is he including timeserting?? Timeserting is another 5-7 hours.
I timeserted mine in 4-1/2 - 5 hours, I believe Lawrence said it took him about that long as well. Now that doesn't include the hour to duct tape everything either.... that being the case you are right in there...

zonie77
03-29-04, 11:35 PM
You need to include all the time...that means the taping and the putting tools away...and the paperwork! :rolleyes:

growe3
03-30-04, 08:22 AM
The $1,200 in labor seems fair, but what are you getting in parts that costs $1,300? The parts shouldn't be over about $500 give or take.

Make sure all twenty head bolts are Timeserted!!
-George

I just found a shop in my area that can do it for $2500. Does this sound like a good deal? Every other shop told me at least $4000, this seems to good to be true to me. The guy at the shop sounded like he knew what he was doing.

Does that price sound too good to be true to anyone else??? $1200 labor and the rest is parts.

Roswell256
03-30-04, 09:09 AM
What is timeserting?

zonie77
03-30-04, 09:35 AM
A thread insert to repair damaged threads. The aluminum threads tend to be damaged if the head gaskets are blown.

growe3
03-31-04, 07:32 AM
Timesert is a patented process to repair damaged bolt holes.

Helicoils are not the same as Timesert inserts and should not be used in this engine.

Northstar head bolts are known to have a problem with the head bolt holes stripping or stretching out. This can happen while the car is in service, when the head bolts are removed to replace the head gaskets, or when the head bolts are being retightened during the installation of new head gaskets.

This is a must do item when heads are removed or replaced. It is a one time process. If for some reason the head needed to be removed again the holes would be undamaged.

Each head bolt hole must be reamed out,tapped oversize for the Timesert, then the Timesert is then screwed in with Loctite to lock it in place. OEM head bolts are used as normal.

-George

What is timeserting?