: Shifting question

King3244
03-21-07, 01:22 PM
2004 srx with N*. Just coming up to 50,000 miles on the odometer.

When I first back the car out of the garage in the morning and then shift to drive............I get a hesitation before it goes into gear. The rest of the day it is fine.

Also I live in a rather hilly section and this thing shifts up and down quite a bit. Actually even on the hiway it seems to drop into the converter at the least little provocation. My old 94 STS didn't shift nearly as often as the SRX does.

Now I realize that I am comparing a 3 speed overdrive with a 5 speed............just looking for some insight here.

Thanks, King

nstar
03-21-07, 03:34 PM
Does your srx have a moaning noise at 40 45 mph mine did and also had the trans shifting up and down going up slopes and hills they had to replace torque converter it was V8. Sounds like you had better check quick there is TSB on this.:)

King3244
03-21-07, 07:20 PM
It has a moaning noise prior to warming up but not later. You might be onto something with the torque converter as it kind of chuggles going uphill at about 30. Did the new converter fix the constant up and down shifting?

nstar
03-22-07, 06:17 AM
It has a moaning noise prior to warming up but not later. You might be onto something with the torque converter as it kind of chuggles going uphill at about 30. Did the new converter fix the constant up and down shifting?

Yes it got rid of moan and got rid shifting going up slops and hills check with dealer they have process in TSB to check this. Good luck:)

jgn
03-23-07, 11:57 AM
I've been going through this since 09/06. I first had the torque converter shudder going up hills. Dealer updated the software which fixed the shudder but caused what you describe as shifting. It really isn't shifting its the tranmission acting as a break. They eventually replaced the TC, but have never been able to get rid other issue (ex. when you let off the gas between 40-45 mph the rpms bounce betwen about 1200-1800 and vehicle surges).

The dealer recently told me that this is normal behavior and there is nothing they can do. I have to live with it. They apparently have been working with GM engineers. Good luck to you.

Kauai 1
03-23-07, 09:09 PM
jgn, I too had the torque converter replaced (with TCM reprogram) for the shudder/chuggle problem last fall. The transmission brake action, since the fix, is way too aggressive, and is not "original normal." (I have driven other SRX's and their trans brake is not constantly pulsating while the trans is in fourth gear around 40 MPH, coasting.) My dealer has attempted to resolve the matter, with no success.
Somehow, the torque converter "fix" has created a monster that GM does not seem to understand.
I am going to call Cadillac Customer Assistance, and ask them to get GM Engineering directly involved. I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU AND ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS PROBLEM ALSO DO SO! GM needs to understand that this is not a shifting problem, but one with the 5-speed transmission brake function, after the "fix." I suspect that the TCM reprogram is at fault.
Dealers calling the Technical Assistance Center seems to have no positive results.
It is really shocking that the manufacturer does not seem to have a system in place to catch these problems before owners are fed-up with the constant trips to the dealer!

dmc22
03-23-07, 10:38 PM
I constant shifting started after they reprogramed the computer on one of the recalls. I feel it was done to get better gas mileage out of the car. The car cruises at a lower rpm and my gas mileage has improved.

jgn
03-24-07, 07:02 PM
Kauai 1
I have been working with Cad customer Service and the last time I had mine at the dealer they had a GM engineer out to test drive. The conclusion was that the sympton we all describe was identified but it wasn't causing any problems mechanically or durability wise so I had to live with it. Of course I didn't accept that because of the huge negative impact on drivability.

They don't really seem to have a solution but the dealer is still willing to work with me. As of now we're looking at it as a software issue and trying to get the right version back in. You're right the trips back to the dealer is ridiculous.

ckrichards
03-26-07, 07:43 AM
Cadillac giving up doesn't suprise me. With the car being replaced after 2008 why would Cadillac keep perfecting the car? Shifting issues are not safety concerns, so why would Cadillac keep pumping engineering resources into the SRX? I would bet Cadillac has junior engineers working these type of issues just to get them some experience. Most of Cadillac's resources should be working on the CTS/wagon.
When GM had the money I think they would perfect the car out of pride, but now it should be about spreading limited resources wisely.

jgn
03-26-07, 08:14 AM
Keeping customers would seem like a good reason for Cadillac to not give up and to resolve this issue appropriately.

nstar
03-26-07, 09:02 AM
I think that new technology is put in to cadillac models because there are less models built so if technology fails or is troublesome they cancel or don't bother to use on other GM makes and models. I believe that they think because the total build numbers are lower on cadillac which in turn if they fail less customers are envolved also they probably think these customers can afford to take the loss on vehicle in question and maybe rebuy another cadillac. But if they started with a larger production brand and model there would be large number of customers that probably wouldn't repurchase a GM brand or model. To me this makes me rethink future purchases:bigroll:

King3244
03-26-07, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

Mine is not so much a transmission braking problem as it is a shifting too much problem (at least in my opinion).

I have resorted to putting it in 4th gear around town which helps somewhat with the constant shifting but then I do get the braking affect. If I am in (selected) 4th and have my foot off the gas at about 30 to 35 mph and going downhill I get the tach going up and down about 500 rpm like the converter is locking and unlocking.

Very un Cadillac like! I drove my neighbors Honda CRV the other day with a 6 cylinder and it shifts lots which I would expect from an under powered vehicle but I don't expect that from a 300+ hp N*.

My SRX shifts more in one day than my STS would shift in a Month............LOL!

It is going into the shop on Wednesday so we will see what happens.

King

dknobby40
04-18-07, 10:43 AM
Same sets of problems on my 04 AWD. Had the converter replaced due to vibration, no help. Had the trans reprogrammed, no help. Changed the fluid, no help. Had customer service start a case on it, no help. Had the "engineer" look at it, no help. Besides this is an all around vehicle engineer and not trans specific, obviously no help. Now on a perfectly sunny warm day I will get a message on my NAV screen that says stability system engaged while going 70 down the highway, what will I get for this? NO HELP!

terryk
04-18-07, 11:29 PM
2004 srx with N*. Just coming up to 50,000 miles on the odometer.

When I first back the car out of the garage in the morning and then shift to drive............I get a hesitation before it goes into gear. The rest of the day it is fine.

Also I live in a rather hilly section and this thing shifts up and down quite a bit. Actually even on the hiway it seems to drop into the converter at the least little provocation. My old 94 STS didn't shift nearly as often as the SRX does.

Now I realize that I am comparing a 3 speed overdrive with a 5 speed............just looking for some insight here.

Thanks, King

This isn't unusual when the fluid is cold. If you were to let it warm up before putting it in gear it probably wouldn't have the delay (there is always some delay since the fluid has to change passages in the trans but it would engage far faster).