: 94 Concourse Transmission

EmJay50
03-24-04, 02:08 PM
I have a 94 Cadillace Concourse with the Northstar Performance and my tranny is dying. I have the 4.6L V8. What transmissions will fit my vehicle from which years? Where's a good place to find one? I need help A.S.A.P. Thanks in advance.

dloch
03-24-04, 02:14 PM
I have a 94 Cadillace Concourse with the Northstar Performance and my tranny is dying. I have the 4.6L V8. What transmissions will fit my vehicle from which years? Where's a good place to find one? I need help A.S.A.P. Thanks in advance.
What makes you believe the trans is dying? What is it doing?

EmJay50
03-24-04, 02:25 PM
First of all, it won't shift into overdrive anymore. Wwhen normally driving it, the engine will rev high rpms and then settle back down, over and over again. When accelerating, it slips horribly. When parking it shakes and is impossible to keep it under control. It has almost 200k miles on it. I'd say it's about to go.

What transmissions will fit my vehicle from which years? Where's a good place to find one? any ideas?

dloch
03-24-04, 03:41 PM
First of all, it won't shift into overdrive anymore. Wwhen normally driving it, the engine will rev high rpms and then settle back down, over and over again. When accelerating, it slips horribly. When parking it shakes and is impossible to keep it under control. It has almost 200k miles on it. I'd say it's about to go.

What transmissions will fit my vehicle from which years? Where's a good place to find one? any ideas?
I'd say it's not very happy. Have you ever changed the fluid in it, not that it will matter at this point. Where are you located?

You may get a good price on the transmission but aren't going to like the price for changing it, unless you can do the work yourself that is....

BeelzeBob
03-24-04, 03:49 PM
I don't know how much damage has been done to the unit or what the fluid looks like but it could be the shift solenoids causing the problems....

The trans is a 4T80E. A trans from a Northstar Cadillac with the LD8 engine (275 HP) would work in your car. Most any year from 93 thru 99 would work....the 4T80E from the STS/ETC/and later Concour with the 300 HP engine would bolt in but has the wrong final drive ratio which would cause codes to set.

Since you willl have to pay to have the trans swapped you might be just as well off to go to a reputable trans shop and purchase a re-man trans from them...or have them repair yours. Plus, then there would be a guarantee...if you pick up a used one and pay someone to install it then you are on the hook if it doesn't work correctly....big risk with a used, unknown trans.

EmJay50
03-24-04, 04:05 PM
....big risk with a used, unknown trans.
that's a good point, i think I'm just looking to get a new tranny to be able to sell it. Then again, I really like my car.

What would be your estimate of how likely it could be that it's just the shift selenoids? Sounds like that'd be better than a new tranny, IMO.

BeelzeBob
03-24-04, 04:12 PM
that's a good point, i think I'm just looking to get a new tranny to be able to sell it. Then again, I really like my car.

What would be your estimate of how likely it could be that it's just the shift selenoids? Sounds like that'd be better than a new tranny, IMO.

Not likely that it is just the shift solenoids at this stage from what you describe.

If you are thinking of putting a trans in to just sell it....make sure the car is worth more than you are going to put in it...or you'll leave money on the seat to sell it....LOL

It sounds like you really need to get it to a trans shop or Cad dealer for diagnosis. No one can diagnose the thing over the internet so you are just guessing at this point.

EmJay50
03-24-04, 07:12 PM
true true, I am pretty much guessing. The real reason why i posted this is to find what type of Tranny it is, and what other years of caddies trannys will fit. and also where I can find a decently priced tranny. I pretty much have found all the info i need except where to get one. Thanks for eveyone's help.

EmJay50
03-27-04, 04:40 PM
I'm now thinking of not putting in a new tranny or having the present one repaired. I am considering howevert o either sell it the way it is, or part it out.

What do you think i could get for it if i sold it the way it was, or how much could I get parting it out?

It's a 94 Concourse Nothstar Performance with 180,000 miles. Interior in great shape, engine in 180,000 miles shape.