: Oil Change

dan1166
03-20-07, 09:00 PM
I own my 2006 STS V-6 for 10 months now, and I only have 4200 miles on it. The oil change indicator says 65% left. OnStar keeps sending me emails that no maintenance is need. What is the opinion of this Forum? I think I should have it changed before the 1 year anniversary.

I have a Jeep I use in the winter, a pick up for my all purpose vehicle ,and I use the car once in awhile. That is the reason for low milage. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Dan, the STS Man

Benjamin Simon
03-20-07, 10:51 PM
Is it the factory fill? I would find the build date on your car. You might want to change it now to be safe. My STS was built March of 2005, and that was late in the build. Your oil might be over 2 years old. I would go ahead and change it now and drive it more.

Cajonkev
03-21-07, 02:11 AM
There are a couple of threads already that have in-depth discussions on oil life so I'll leave that alone and just give the "company" line here...

From the 2006 Owner's Manual:

Scheduled Maintenance
When the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message in the
Driver Information Center (DIC) comes on, it means that
service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle
serviced as soon as possible within the next
600 miles (1 000 km). It is possible that, if you are driving
under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may
not indicate that vehicle service is necessary for over a
year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed
at least once a year and at this time the system must be
reset. Your GM Goodwrench® dealer has GM-trained
service technicians who will perform this work using
genuine GM parts and reset the system.

Caroutisine
03-21-07, 07:43 AM
Yep, one time per year unless the car tells you to do it sooner. I have almost 11,000 miles and have only changed oil one time last fall (after 1 year). I won't do it again until this fall, unless the car asks me to.