: Full Size Spare?

DopeStar 156
03-20-07, 04:13 PM
I was thinking about replacing the donut in my trunk with a full size spare since I'll have two extra tires left over when I put my new ones on. I figure I'll pick up a steel Fleetwood rim from a junkyard and toss it in the trunk in place of the donut. Should I do it or will it really kill the gas mileage for a full size spare I'll prolly never end up using?

Benzilla
03-20-07, 04:17 PM
Go ahead and do it, I put full sizers in both my Coupes, left the tiny one in the '90 because I don't care.

I put a wire cover in the one on the '83.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0102.jpg

The '79 I left more functional. It also came with a full-size cover.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0644.jpg

fleetwood76
03-20-07, 04:28 PM
Hello!

I think that the milage will be very, very little hurt, i doub't it will even be measurable,

The only thing hurt will be that your trunk space will be a little smaller, but as i'm sure you know, there is a lot of space to begin with, so don't worry about that.
I would not hesitate a second to replace the toy spare with a real wheel.

Even if you only once is forced to use the spare it will all be worth it.

jolle.

96Fleetwood
03-20-07, 06:05 PM
When I buy a new set of wheels I always buy 5 instead of four. Right now I have a full size 15 inch spare and when I put my 18s on next month, I will swap that out for a full size 18 inch spare.

Gas mileage? Come on.. our cars carry enough weight that 55lbs will make no difference. If you are that worried, throw the girl out and keep the spare ;).. just joking!

ReagansRollsRoyce
03-20-07, 06:23 PM
When I got my FWB I bought an extra rim and put a full sizer on it. I feel much safer, it just doesn't seem smart to drive a big Cadillac on a temporary, even if it does pass the safety regs. I now use the old mini tire in my garage to keep me from running into the wall when I back park it!

1990CaddyBrougham
03-20-07, 07:05 PM
I swapped my doughnut out with a brand new full size. Also since i dont have a cover i cleaned the whtie wall and threw a extra cap on to dress it up, also dressed the tire with shine, like benzilla.

This way when and if i get a flat, one i dont have to ride around on a tiny tire, 2 its doesnt look trashy with a temp spare. Lol. If i have to get a flat, i hope is sooner then later, when i put my Fac. Wire wheels on for spring.

Benzilla
03-20-07, 07:10 PM
Ohhhh. Get a wire spare!!

or at least an aftermarket rim that looks like the original, it would be easier to get one of those.

It would be a pain, but think how cool that would look.

Old Fleetwood
03-20-07, 08:21 PM
1> I don't think the Cadillac would notice the difference in weight as far as mpg.
2> Ben's treatment of wire-cap and shiny tire is sharpernell.
3> Since I have 5 stock aluminum Fleetwood wheels and wsw's, I'm gonna yank the cloth cover and shiny-up the spare.
Thanks for the idea, Ben!:thumbsup:

Red_October_7000
03-21-07, 12:41 AM
Unless it's impossible (as in some sportscars), whatever you drive you want a full-size spare wheel. Because even if you get a flat you don't have to hurry up and get the old tire fixed. You can just keep doing whatever you were doing after a quick pit-stop :) . Donuts are dodgy as all hell. If you're really good you can get a matching rim & tire and rotate it in so if you have to put on the spare it's not wildly different in terms of wear from the other three. The weight penalty compared to a donut is neglidgible.

DopeStar 156
03-21-07, 08:34 AM
I actually replaced one of my hubcaps since it was a little beat up, I have the extra one lying around somewhere to complete the look of the spare. I'll have to go looking for an extra rim....

ReagansRollsRoyce
03-21-07, 10:14 AM
If you're really good you can get a matching rim & tire and rotate it in so if you have to put on the spare it's not wildly different in terms of wear from the other three.

This is what I do. I don't understand why the FWB didn't have the full-size spare option. Seems surprising for the Cadillac. My '87 Crown Victoria had the full size as a $50 extra and the manual contained separate instructions for rotating all 5 tires if you had it.