: Anyone have a sandblaster/recommendations

pimpin88
03-20-07, 03:23 PM
I've been looking around at buying a small sandblaster for use at my house, especially for stuff like sand blasting car parts. I might also use it to sandblast the entire underside of my cadillac when I pull the engine, tranny, and rear end and suspension out of it.

I'm not sure what is good and what isnt, and I was looking at some on ebay.

Here are the specs for one of the ones I was looking at. It is a 10 gallon unit and ends up being $100 with shipping.

Sandblaster Features:
Pressurized design give 30% more sandblasting power
Requires 6-25 CFM (depends on nozzle size)
60-125 Working PSI
Overall Dimensions: 33 1/2" x 18 3/4"
Contains:
Pressure gauge
4 Ceramic nozzles (.10", .125", .150", .175")
9 foot hose
Filling funnel
Water trap
6" rubber wheels
Canvas / Nylon hood

90Brougham350
03-20-07, 05:09 PM
Got a link for it? I might be interested myself.

Spyder
03-20-07, 05:20 PM
My recommendation? Buy a couple of wire wheels.

Sand blasting sucks. It's messy, dirty, expensive, time consuming, noisy, etc etc etc.

You'll end up with a HUGE mess of sand everywhere, including in all the little nooks and crannys of your car where sand definately isn't wanted. You'll need goggles or a helmet, you'll need a pretty big air compressor to keep up with it, you'll need a location where the noise and mess won't bother anyone (not a garage or driveway project) and you'll need to transport that big air compressor TO this location, not to mention have electricity there. Not to mention, again, the cost of running a compressor nonstop for who knows how long it'll take to sandblast that much area, plus when the compressor gets hot and you have to let it cool down...

Wire wheels and a die grinder for the smaller spots is a MUCH better plan, IMO. I've done that job a few times and sandblasting is definately not the way to go.

pimpin88
03-20-07, 05:22 PM
Here is the ebay one. I dont know how good it is, if it is at all, because there isnt really any brand name.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-GALLON-SANDBLASTER-SAND-BLASTER-AUTO-PARTS-CLEANING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63702QQitemZ16 0096158969QQrdZ1

Here is a smaller one, but I would guess better quality from Northern Tool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_583_583

RunningOnEMT
03-20-07, 05:25 PM
i know northern stuff is nice, we had one in our machine shop.

i have one from SNAP-OFF (i mean snap-on) at home right now, really nice unit, i just got it and anew compressor so i havent tried it out, but it weighs a TON and it definitely developes some serious pressure difference inside to outside, sealed tighter than a drum

pimpin88
03-20-07, 05:32 PM
The reason I was looking at this is because of those bums over on the impala forum. I read the threads and get ideas.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/221000-221999/221119_361_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/221000-221999/221119_362_full.jpg

pimpin88
03-20-07, 05:34 PM
I think I found the name of the ebay one.

It says "Brand New Ridge Rock 10G Sandblaster". Anyone ever hear of them?

Night Wolf
03-20-07, 07:13 PM
I too am very interested.... because I would love to sandblast car parts...

example, the grille guard on my truck, I wanna pull, sand blast, prime and paint and put it back on, along with the step bars on the sides....

and other parts too.... but what is the best way to do it? I would want to do it in my back yard (neighbors around) but sandblasting is really loud?

What about the wire wheels and die grinder? would that be better suited for what I need....

that blasting of the underbody is really sweet, I like that alot.

pimpin88
03-20-07, 09:23 PM
The blasting itself isnt all that loud, I think its mostly the compressor. At least thats how all the ones I've ever used have been.

DILLIGAF
03-20-07, 09:35 PM
Sand blasting is the worst!!!!!!!!!! It is not a degreaser,glass beads are half expensive.Not really a good tool for working on car parts.I could see blasting an undercarriage during a frame up restoration but other than that I see no use for it.Don't ever try to blast a hood or a body panel,it will ruine them.Don't ask me how I know

jstein12
03-20-07, 09:55 PM
Sand blasting is somewhat extreme.

Go with a quality power washer. Even those (with integral heaters and detergents) would blast the paint right off the vehicle. Use them with some thought and finese.

Jeese! Most contracters use power washers in lieu of sandblasters!

A good (50 amp) power washer would set you back about $2000.

Go to home depot. They will have what you REALLY NEED FOR ABOUT $300.

pimpin88
03-20-07, 10:15 PM
Sand blasting is the worst!!!!!!!!!! It is not a degreaser,glass beads are half expensive.Not really a good tool for working on car parts.I could see blasting an undercarriage during a frame up restoration but other than that I see no use for it.Don't ever try to blast a hood or a body panel,it will ruine them.Don't ask me how I know

Thats exactly what I was looking at using it for, because I am going to do a complete restoration on my Cadillac. Definitely not doing any body panels like that. Yikes!

RunningOnEMT
03-20-07, 10:42 PM
the only thing i use my bead cabinet for is parts manufacture... when i do make stuff at the shop, i like bead blasted finish and tey don't have a beadblaster at the shop so i got my own

rp is right, never use it on car parts unless you're refinishing something with some balls to it, NEVER SHEETMETAL!!!

Night Wolf
03-21-07, 02:11 PM
Alright, so what would be the best way to strip down the step bars and grille guard on my truck?

Also what abou other car parts, various underbody stuff, or even surface rust on sheet metal?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/PDR_0729.jpg

Spyder
03-21-07, 06:56 PM
Wire wheel wire wheel wire wheel! Die grinder with those little fiber board wheels! The die grinder thing works GREAT, is quick and fairly cheap. And not all that messy either...
I did the entire frame and undercarriage and under the bed of my '60 D-100 in less than one day. Painted it the next morning and put the bed back on. Cost me about thirty bucks for a decent pair of goggles, two dozen of the little die grinder wheels and a case of beer.

pimpin88
03-21-07, 07:50 PM
What kind of wheels are you talking about exactly?

Spyder
03-21-07, 09:03 PM
This is exactly what I used.
They're great for getting head gasket residue off of blocks and heads when swapping parts too! AWESOME tool. Saves me hella time!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-COND-DISCS-COURSE-WITH-HOLDER-FITS-AIR-DIE-GRINDER_W0QQitemZ300009866864QQcategoryZ303QQrdZ1Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Not what I used, but I assume it would work as well? This is like an ultra high speed sandpaper...I'd go with the other ones though for any lighter work. This kit could eat things up quicker than you expect. http://cgi.ebay.com/Pneumatic-Die-Grinder-Sanding-Disc-322-Pieces_W0QQitemZ200033051411QQcategoryZ55809QQrdZ1 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

pimpin88
03-22-07, 10:14 AM
Would a DA sander be a good choice for sheet metal?

dkozloski
03-22-07, 04:50 PM
This is exactly what I used.
They're great for getting head gasket residue off of blocks and heads when swapping parts too! AWESOME tool. Saves me hella time!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-COND-DISCS-COURSE-WITH-HOLDER-FITS-AIR-DIE-GRINDER_W0QQitemZ300009866864QQcategoryZ303QQrdZ1Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Not what I used, but I assume it would work as well? This is like an ultra high speed sandpaper...I'd go with the other ones though for any lighter work. This kit could eat things up quicker than you expect. http://cgi.ebay.com/Pneumatic-Die-Grinder-Sanding-Disc-322-Pieces_W0QQitemZ200033051411QQcategoryZ55809QQrdZ1 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Never, never, ever use sanding discs to remove gasket residue, especially those 3M ScotchBrite disks. 40-80grit silicon carbide gets into everything. If you ever see a mechanic with one of thse things in his hand get your stuff out of there as quickly as you can. I managed an aircraft engine overhaul shop for ten years and somebody having those things in his toolbox was grounds for instant firing. I could look at the parts of a torn down engine and instantly tell you that somebody somewhere had used 3M ScotchBrite disks on it. There are three things that need to be taken away from all mechanics and never given back, silicon sealer, black electricians tape, and ScotchBrite disks.

Spyder
03-22-07, 04:57 PM
The 3m sctochbrite disks...are those the fiber ones or the sandpaper ones? The sandpaper ones I've not used...

If you're talking about the fiber ones, I'll keep that in mind...

I've always used them and never had problems, but then again I've never built a really high performance engine either...just some mild to slightly more than mild mopar big blocks and one chevy small block that I had the heads off of.

What SHOULD I use next time?! (espcially since I'm planning on pulling the heads from my 440 sometime in the next year or two and replacing them with something a little better, and lighter, than stock)

dkozloski
03-22-07, 05:45 PM
The 3m sctochbrite disks...are those the fiber ones or the sandpaper ones? The sandpaper ones I've not used...

If you're talking about the fiber ones, I'll keep that in mind...

I've always used them and never had problems, but then again I've never built a really high performance engine either...just some mild to slightly more than mild mopar big blocks and one chevy small block that I had the heads off of.

What SHOULD I use next time?! (espcially since I'm planning on pulling the heads from my 440 sometime in the next year or two and replacing them with something a little better, and lighter, than stock)
Fiber pads are engine death. There are several products available in spray cans for gasket removal. One that comes to mind is called "Chisel" from Loctite; that and a sharp scraper. I use a scraper from Snap-On and keep a good stone handy to keep it sharp. You can gouge aluminum easily but if you know how to use a wood chisel it doesn't take long to learn the tricks.

Spyder
03-22-07, 06:51 PM
Thankee Sai...I'll look into it when I pull my next set of heads. I've got some old ones lieing around i can practice with first too...