: Allergies?

Spyder
03-20-07, 01:23 AM
Anyone? Explain...also, what medicines do you take or remedies do you use?

Me, mine started kicking my ASS about four years ago. Started when I moved into a new house, within a few days of moving in actually. I always thought it was something to do with the house or the yard, but now that I've moved they're still destroying my head.

Allegra does nothing, the OTC one that costs 30 bucks does nothing, Zyrtec works, kinda, but I no longer have insurance and only have about fifteen days worth left of them from last year, and a refill is somewhere upwards of two hundred bucks.

This sucks.

Spyder
03-20-07, 01:25 AM
crap...now I realize I used the wrong effect/affect up there. Oh well...

Red_October_7000
03-20-07, 04:44 AM
Yep. I'm allergic to certain antibiotics and to some outdoor shit. The only thing it means is I don't have to cut the grass. :)

RightTurn
03-20-07, 07:59 AM
Zyrtec works for me. Seems like I bought it online from Canada last year as OTC, but I'll have to verify that since I can't remember the details. I HATE allergy season!! :(

Rolex
03-20-07, 08:29 AM
I used to have terrible allergies to the point that it would make me sick after cutting my grass. I took allergy shots for a couple of years and they helped a great deal. I would say my allergies aren't as well managed as they were when I was taking the shots, but they're easier to manage with over the counter medication afterwards. I take Claritin D on my bad days to help dry me up and breathe.

slk230mb
03-20-07, 10:08 AM
I'm allergic to cats, dogs, dust, pollen, ragweed, and fresh cut grass. Sudafed decongestant used to work. Claritin and Claritin D used to work. The past two years I've been taking Allegra daily and it's all but made my allergies disappear. On really bad days my eyes will still water, but that's the extent of my symptoms. The real Allegra works way better than the generic.

Rolex
03-20-07, 11:18 AM
The real Allegra works way better than the generic.

+1 I believe that's the best stuff on the market for allergies. My old insurance quit covering it and so I quit taking it years ago. I should check to see if my new insurance covers it. It couldn't be any more trouble than trying to buy Claritin D over the counter nowdays. They practicaly fingerprint you and take a mug shot of you when you buy allergy pills. :rolleyes:

Spyder
03-20-07, 11:44 AM
What's the difference between claritin and claritin d?

I'll have to look into the zyrtec from canada too...

And the allergy shot would be beautiful, but expensive without insurance, i'm sure?

c5 rv
03-20-07, 12:59 PM
I used to have nasty allergies when I was younger - always stuffed up and sneezing. The usual allergens - dust, pollen, pet dander, etc. bugged me. They improved when I was in my early 40s. It may have been no longer living with cats and/or could have been decreasing my dairy intake.

I read somewhere that allergic reactions (histamine production) is additive from all sources, including food allergies. If you cut the total exposure of allergins below your body's threshhold, you will suffer a lot less. If you don't know if you are allergic to any food items, try cutting down on what you crave most. I used to drink at least a 1/2 gallon of milk a day, plus lots of cheese and ice cream. I cut my dairy intake to no more than 2 servings a day and it helped. (However, I gained weight.)

If I have a bad day, I take 1 old-style generic sudaphed - the kind I have to show my drivers license for and pay for at the pharmacy counter. The new stuff doesn't do a thing for me.

ewill3rd
03-20-07, 01:15 PM
When I lived in MO I had them terrible.
Had minor allergies in CA, now in VA I have had mild symptoms at some point but nothing noteworthy.
When I was in MO it almost hospitalized me more than once, I mean it was REALLY BAD!
I would have sneeze attacks so badly that I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
I may develop them here, they say sometimes if you change environments it takes your body a while to adapt but you may end up with the same problem.

All I know is I am glad not to live in MO anymore!

Spyder
03-20-07, 01:15 PM
Nah, its definately just this time of year. About five weeks worth. I've always had cats and dogs and never had a problem with any of them. No foods or medicines have ever bothered me. Huh...as I was typing this I just thought of the one other thing I'm allergic to...Nonox-9.

dkozloski
03-20-07, 01:23 PM
My best friend woke up one morning to find himself allergic to certain brands of beer. It had to do with histamines. Luckily he has it under control.

Rolex
03-20-07, 01:36 PM
When I lived in MO I had them terrible.
All I know is I am glad not to live in MO anymore!

Interesting. My allergies got significantly worse when I first moved to Springfield, Missouri. That's what made me seek treatment.

What's the difference between claritin and claritin d?

And the allergy shot would be beautiful, but expensive without insurance, i'm sure?

The "D" usually indicates the addition of a decongestant; ie pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine. It helps dry up the runny noses and watering eyes.

I imagine the allergy shots would be expensive without insurance. I saved money because the allergist allowed me to take my vial of "stuff" to the hospital and inject myself. He asked if there would be someone present to start an IV and intubate me in case I suffered an anaphylactic reaction. :bigroll: I reminded him I worked for the department of anesthesia....I'm sure I could find somebody.

Injecting myself saved me $5 a pop. At 3 shots every week (the first year) I saved over $700. Eventually the injections taper off to once a month before you stop all together.

IIRC allergic reactions are mediated via IgE antibodies. The allergy shots involve injecting what you're allergic to directly into your bloodstream. You build up blood antibodies (IgM, IgG antibodies??) and lessen the response of the IgE. Your body still responds to the allergen, but you don't get all the nasty symptoms of the IgE response. I stand to be corrected on some of this b/c it's been awhile since I studied this kind of content.

Rolex
03-20-07, 01:39 PM
My best friend woke up one morning to find himself allergic to certain brands of beer. It had to do with histamines. Luckily he has it under control.

That would suck! I get the "red, flush" look after I take my first drink of beer. I forget the cause of that but it's not an allergic reaction. If I became allergic to beer I'd seek treatment FAST! :p

Spyder
03-20-07, 02:01 PM
Haha...there's still bourbon!

Benzilla
03-20-07, 05:13 PM
I'm not lucky, but I don't have allergies either. :p

JC316
03-21-07, 04:14 AM
I have them pretty bad, but it's just a minor annoyance. My eyes get itchy and red and my nose runs.

The suck ass part is that I cant take any allergy medicines for it. Claritin does nothing, anything with pseudoephidrine makes me groggy, Zurtek has lactose in it (bad for me) and Allegra works, but I am meaner than a rattlesnake on it.

I almost got into a fist fight over a parking spot (Had my parents not been there to stop me, I would have) and I almost busted the door at my local pizza hut because I had to go to my car to get more money.

I have to take herbal stuff like stinging nettle and natra bio allergy relief.

ewill3rd
03-21-07, 06:25 AM
I have never tried Claritin, but I used to use Flonase, man that stuff is awesome!
I took something in high school that worked great but I had to take it at bedtime or I was done for the next day. If I forgot to take it that night it was worthless to take in the morning. My mom used to have the Dr. she worked for write me a scrip.
Over the counter stuff doesn't work too well for me. Benadril knocks me out.
Triaminicin works okay, only makes me a little sleepy but you can't find it anywhere anymore.

I have thought about getting shots but only if I start having problems here.