: New from WV - 57 Cadillac

57DeVille
03-20-07, 12:12 AM
Hello

I'm Dave and i'm from southern West Virginia and I own a 1957 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. I haven't had the car very long. I'v always wanted an old Cadillac and purchased this one on ebay just recently (was only about 130 miles from me). It has a later model 472 or 500. Needs a good bit of work yet, but it's not too bad. This isn't my first old car as I also own a 48 buick, 50 ford tudor, 52 pontiac (daily driver), 53 chevy 210 and a 56 ford ranch wagon. The caddy is by far my favorite!

At the moment I only have one question that I can think of, does anyone make reproduction parts for these cars? I mainly just need little odds-and-ins. Like the knobs for the window cranks or just new handles, weather striping, a dash pad and My windshield also has a crack so i'll have to find one of those aswell. I'll also probably need another right tail light since mine isn't in the greatest shape. I'v been watching ebay, but really nothing yet has come along that I could really use. But in general it's not missing much.

Here's a few pictures of my car. I'm going to paint it back to the original color which appears to had been black from the looks of the door jambs and the inside of the trunk.

http://www.onlyclassic.com/upload/57cadillac.jpg

http://www.onlyclassic.com/upload/57cadillac2.jpg

suiside
03-20-07, 02:43 AM
chop that shit!!..slam it..paint int flat back wit a white roof and your set!

mharker
03-20-07, 10:20 PM

Bollocks to that. Butchering her would be a sin.

Either restore her as original or... if you are concerned about spending too much, just keep it as an unrestored runner. Don't see a lot of guys collecting the 50s stuff on these boards. Good for you!

I'm impressed by your vintage daily driver too!!

Cadillac Aficionado
03-21-07, 11:09 AM
That's a truly impressive find. I love the older Caddys. Please keep us up to date on this fine '57. :)

fleetwood76
03-21-07, 03:54 PM
Nice car.
Since the engine already is changed to a 472 or 500 that car would be a great sleeper.
There is performance parts aviable for the 472 / 500.

The suorce of new spare parts for a -57 is not as good as on the -58 and -59 but I think that there is some produktion of bodyparts and interiour parts, I don't have any site thou, other than a swedish site, but i guess its a little use to post that one for you, but i do it anyway.

They have a downloadable katalog, only in Swedish but with some drawings.

http://www.tamotor.se/

Good luck with your project.

Jolle

Old Fleetwood
03-22-07, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the board. That Old Girl deserves some sprucing up.
Has some "good bones." I've always liked that year with the reverse angle to the fins. And like was said above, it sounds like a bit of motor work might just turn that Cadillac into a real sleeper, not just something pretty to look at.
Good luck :thumbsup:

77CDV
03-24-07, 06:23 PM
Welcome to the Forums, Dave! I love the '57s, one of my favorite years. Have you looked in Hemmings Motor News? They tend to have lots of vendors who specialize in NOS and reproduction parts. For your car, it's coing to be a lot of NOS, since I don't think there's much in the way of repro for vintage Caddies.

The Cadillac & LaSalle Club may be able to help you track down some of the rarer parts and pieces. Their website is www.cadillaclasalleclub.com. Be forewarned, the folks there are less than receptive to modified cars, so best not to mention the incorrect engine. Personally, the thought of a sleeper 57 that can smoke unsuspecting boyracers warms my heart.

I know the GM Heritage Center offers owners of pre-1971 cars copies of the original build sheets if you're interested in restoring your car to it's factory configuration. At least you'd get the original paint and trim codes, which could help in your quest to get her back to the factory color. The Cadillac Database (Google it) can help you decode the car's data plate, which will also have the color and trim codes, as well as some option codes.

Please keep us up to date on the refurbishment. You've got a great car! Happy motoring!

Craig

bicentennialcadillac
03-25-07, 10:12 PM

Were you dropped on you noggin when you were little?

z06bigbird
04-01-07, 01:28 PM
Hope you have an extra million or two to pour into that car.

Nice opportunity, though.

Restoring any car is big bucks.

Ed